Overnight Thoughts... | Syracusefan.com

Overnight Thoughts...

newmexicuse

All Conference
It felt like they were in control almost the entire game. Our guys kept fighting, but could never quite get over the hump.

Our overall D was not up to par. They just seemed to score inside at will. Very little interior rotational help, very little denying of easy entry passes, which i thought was the biggest problem.

in the second half, we slapped on the press and gained some traction to make it a game. There has been lot's of finger pointing at chuk, but he is the reason the press worked. How many times, standing alone back there, did he get a block, alter a shot, or force them to re-set instead of scoring on a break ??? He was our MVP IMHO. He had 11 boards in only 29 minutes and 4 blocks & 2 steals. Many blame him for the TO, fact is, he made a good play to get the ball in the first place. Hard for a 7'2" guy to protect the ball 20+ feet out with fast guards coming at him. not sure if we still had a timeout left at that point, but if we did, it should have been called once the ball was in his hands.

Frank was terrific overall, love his baby hooks or push shots, whatever you want to describe them as. I posted elsewhere that i did not like the long three at the end. he was too far out, under pressure, & there was still time on the shot clock.

Ty was terrific except for his three point shooting. He has just got to find a way to nail a couple of those.

Oshae was solid, got his usual doublet. Should have been a larger part of the O.

Marek needs to look for his O more. he scored when he did, but that was only twice. I did see him pass up a couple of looks that he should have taken including one on a drive to teh hole that ended up being a TO.

All in all, it was an uphill struggle, but this team proved they can play with the big boys. It probably just came down to no gas in the tank at the end after running uphill for 40 minutes.

Also, gotta give credit to NC, they are very good, very smart, and very unselfish. That will make them tough for anybody to beat.

It felt like they were in control almost the entire game. Our guys kept fighting, but could never quite get over the hump.

Our overall D was not up to par. They just seemed to score inside at will. Very little interior rotational help, very little denying of easy entry passes, which i thought was the biggest problem.

in the second half, we slapped on the press and gained some traction to make it a game. There has been lot's of finger pointing at chuk, but he is the reason the press worked. How many times, standing alone back there, did he get a block, alter a shot, or force them to re-set instead of scoring on a break ??? He was our MVP IMHO. He had 11 boards in only 29 minutes and 4 blocks & 2 steals. Many blame him for the TO, fact is, he made a good play to get the ball in the first place. Hard for a 7'2" guy to protect the ball 20+ feet out with fast guards coming at him. not sure if we still had a timeout left at that point, but if we did, it should have been called once the ball was in his hands.

Frank was terrific overall, love his baby hooks or push shots, whatever you want to describe them as. I posted elsewhere that i did not like the long three at the end. he was too far out, under pressure, & there was still time on the shot clock.

Ty was terrific except for his three point shooting. He has just got to find a way to nail a couple of those.

Oshae was solid, got his usual doublet. Should have been a larger part of the O.

Marek needs to look for his O more. he scored when he did, but that was only twice. I did see him pass up a couple of looks that he should have taken including one on a drive to teh hole that ended up being a TO.

All in all, it was an uphill struggle, but this team proved they can play with the big boys. It probably just came down to no gas in the tank at the end after running uphill for 40 minutes.

Also, gotta give credit to NC, they are very good, very smart, and very unselfish. That will make them tough for anybody to beat.

One block. Just one. His other three were much earlier in the game. Two in the first half, one within 5 minutes of the start of the second half.

I'm not sure if folks are giving PC credit for Brissett getting two blocks in the last 4:20 of the game.

Last edited:
A pretty clean look on that last shot.

31DAF11F-9518-4482-8BF7-4F61D0A2EDE1.jpeg

The lack of depth at this point in the season is coming through. The battery is low and they gave their last juice to get it tied. Love the effort. Just not enough energy in the final seconds. No complaints. This team fights. Just wish they had more bodies.

If that shot goes in what does eveyrone think UNC does after - push for an easy score, call TO? I think they push and miss and win on an offensive rebound.

If that shot goes in what does eveyrone think UNC does after - push for an easy score, call TO? I think they push and miss and win on an offensive rebound.

We’re only guessing but I think Roy takes the timeout.

We’re only guessing but I think Roy takes the timeout.
Yeah I don't know - I think he trust Berry and has to think they have the advantage in an unsettled situation. Wish we could have found out.

Yeah, I concur.

I guess it all depends on how it happens. Make the shot and apply some pressure if they are trying to bring it up to halfcourt to call the TO, I can see that. If they call the TO immediately, no way do we press.

Yeah, I concur.

I guess it all depends on how it happens. Make the shot and apply some pressure if they are trying to bring it up to halfcourt to call the TO, I can see that. If they call the TO immediately, no way do we press.

I’ve seen that movie before. If that shot goes in, JB is waving his arms like crazy for everyone to get back.

I’ve seen that movie before. If that shot goes in, JB is waving his arms like crazy for everyone to get back.

For sure, I think he always calls the press off as soon as we tie a game/take the lead. And in that situation, we aren't pressing

A pretty clean look on that last shot.

View attachment 123317

The play was broken because of PC, so I get there was confusion, but that isn’t a good shot. I don’t care if Frank was taking it by himself on an island (not saying you think it’s a good shot).

Guys played hard. Came up short. Just stinks that our last gasp was a wildly low percentage shot.

Jimmy is notorious for calling off the press once we are ahead, even if the halfcourt D had not previously worked and even if the press is effective.
I think we would have fouled. UNC seemed to have an answer for everything we did well. The way Syracuse was shooting free throws, we would have been certain to go to the line after UNC's free throws.

I think we would have fouled. UNC seemed to have an answer for everything we did well. The way Syracuse was shooting free throws, we would have been certain to go to the line after UNC's free throws.

I dont get it? how would we be certain to go to the line?

Howard’s giving us Gbinije production, nearly, and I love it.