P-S article on Jim Boeheim and Retirement | Syracusefan.com

P-S article on Jim Boeheim and Retirement

He should have fun with it! He probably gets the question 3 times a week for the past 10yrs! He steps down Hop steps up and Allen Griffin comes home; today, tomorrow, next year, 5 years how cares. But I hope he doesn't do it after a NC because that would be unnecessary pressure for Hop. Leave after a good year with returning team that should be better.

He should have fun with it! He probably gets the question 3 times a week for the past 10yrs! He steps down Hop steps up and Allen Griffin comes home; today, tomorrow, next year, 5 years how cares. But I hope he doesn't do it after a NC because that would be unnecessary pressure for Hop. Leave after a good year with returning team that should be better.
I have a feeling that Jimmy wants to go out in a blaze of glory w another NC. If he gets that 2nd NC, I would be shocked to see him coach another year after that.

I have a feeling that Jimmy wants to go out in a blaze of glory w another NC. If he gets that 2nd NC, I would be shocked to see him coach another year after that.

I agree but if Hop struggles to get his sea legs directly after a NC this place will make the football board seem like a ray of sunshine!

Trust me after a national championship you would care alot less.
I didnt care about 03-04 as much as I knew we got ours.
It was like a aura of a dream come true for a few years, and we still had warrick and gerry on the floor.

JB is one of the one handed fingerfull of coaches who desereves his though. Especially with what he has done at the college level and what his zone did for the team usa gold squad the last few olympics.
K got his in 09-10 as a olympic coach now its JB's turn. It was good to see hop out there with the nba all star olypic team as well.
biggrin.png

We play in the ACC which will be the new best conference in america. I;m not worried about it.
Even if it takes awhile for hop to grab 3-4 mcdonalds all americans one and two early on would not suprise me.

I agree but if Hop struggles to get his sea legs directly after a NC this place will make the football board seem like a ray of sunshine!

I don't think he will struggle. After success on the recruiting trail, being exposed to USA basketball and being under JB for so long I don't think he will struggle. I also think that having the influence of other former orangemen on the team, further extends the tradition. As opposed to having a new staff and new traditions you get some new takes on an old tradition. I know I am overzealous with the glass half full approach but personally I think that the assistant coaching staff, with Mike being the biggest part of that, have been as much responsible for the continued success as the master himself. That said, JB put that staff together so it does all come back to him. No matter what I trust he will be leaving the program in good hands. I can see him winning title no 2, walking out on top and then being a behind the scenes legendary figure to occasionally help guide things along when he isn't busy living up the family/retirement life.

I really think we have a great shot this year. In a year where talent is down a tad vs last year across the nation and with us having a mix of major returning talent and incoming talent we should have a great chance to win the whole thing.

As the number one assistant Hop is every players' friend as the Head Coach he is no players' friend. He is the guy that yanked them out the game, didn't play them, yelled at them...etc. It is a huge transition that will take time for both Hop and more importantly the players to adjust to. I'm not talking about the program crashing but a 11-12 loss season is not out of the question. Plus after a NC our best players will go pro.

As the number one assistant Hop is every players' friend as the Head Coach he is no players' friend. He is the guy that yanked them out the game, didn't play them, yelled at them...etc. It is a huge transition that will take time for both Hop and more importantly the players to adjust to. I'm not talking about the program crashing but a 11-12 loss season is not out of the question. Plus after a NC our best players will go pro.

Huge transition.

People are going to have some difficulty with Hop as head coach; he's stepping into expectations that can't be met. And I think he's going to be a terrific coach. But he won't be a career .740 guy. And people are going to crush him for it.

Yeah and after a National championship we will be on high stock as well.
I just hope JB gets his second title. It would bode well for syracuse basketball having 2 in 20 years instead of one miracle run. Thankfully the Lord is watching .

Yeah and after a National championship we will be on high stock as well.

The five years after the 2003 National Championship are arguably JB's worst five year post season stretch. Losing to Alabama in the Sweet Sixteen, then losing in the first round in consecutive years to Vermont and Texas A and M and then not even making the NCAA the next two years. If Hop has the same five, people will definitely be calling for his head. Probably after year two.

2003-2004
.742 Jim Boeheim NCAA Sweet Sixteen
11-5
20th
2004-2005
.794 Jim Boeheim NCAA 1st Round; Big East Tournament Champions
11-5
11th
2005-2006
.657 Jim Boeheim NCAA 1st Round; Big East Tournament Champions
7-9
21st
2006-2007
.686 Jim Boeheim NIT Quarter Finals
10-6
NR

2007-2008
.600 Jim Boeheim NIT Quarter Finals
9-9
NR

Wouldn't rule anything out with him, it would not surprise me if at the end of the year if he called it a career, title or no title. We can't predict which players will leave when but the program is well-stocked at the moment and has been on a recruiting roll for several years running, would be a hell of a situation to hand off to his successor. Plus Jimmy's old, he's always liked to do a lot of things his way as it is, and just maybe, life in the ACC is a change he doesn't want to make at this point in his life. Seeing Calhoun hang it up may also have caused him to think about retirement just a bit more. He'll pass Bob Knight this year in wins for #2 all time, and he likely isn't gonna catch K barring some surprise retirement by K; it'll also be a long time before anyone might pass Jim, with only Roy Williams and Pitino even having a shot IMO in the next 10 years (and 900 wins is far from a gimme for either of those guys)*[edit--Huggins may have a shot too]; I don't know how much he really cares about that though. When it happens, it also won't surprise me if he wanted to avoid it being some kind of sub-plot, in other words we may not get a warning prior to his last season.

I hope whenever JB decides that he just announces it out of the clear blue unexpectedly (like Dean Smith did). I know he likes to play cat and mouse games with the media but it would be so much better to avoid the endless will he or won't he nonsense that UConn went through. The speculation only hurts recruiting and sucks all the air out of the program. I can't imagine him not leading the transition to the ACC that first year.

I’m only going to give Hop 10 years. After that he is on his own!

Jimmy should go for a 1000.

Where's the like button?

I heard 5 years ago that he wouldn't be around much longer. He's SO close to 1000--talk about rarefied air! Given how we're playing, that could mean four more years. I can't envision him not coaching at least 1 year into the ACC transition--so that's two of them right there. If he gets to the 950 mark...that would be awfully tempting. And yes, I recognize that JB would be the first one to chafe at such milestones being meaningful to him in any way, but I'd be willing to bet that taking aim at 1000 wins would be a more compelling lure than what JB might publicly admit.

I don't disagree with what Jake posted above, but I also wouldn't be remotely surprised to see him stick around longer than 2 years. A LOT depends on recruiting, how competitive we are in upcoming seasons, how competitive we project in upcoming years, etc. Regardless, I really hope that his decision won't be predicated on stepping down to appease Hopkins. Whenever JB makes the call to hang 'em up, I hope that he goes out on his own terms, and that he leaves due to the competitive fire not being there as opposed to any other reason.

I also recognize that he's just as apt to walk away after next year, thumbing his nose at his critics on his way out the door.

Where's the like button?

I heard 5 years ago that he wouldn't be around much longer. He's SO close to 1000--talk about rarefied air! Given how we're playing, that could mean four more years. I can't envision him not coaching at least 1 year into the ACC transition--so that's two of them right there. If he gets to the 950 mark...that would be awfully tempting. And yes, I recognize that JB would be the first one to chafe at such milestones being meaningful to him in any way, but I'd be willing to bet that taking aim at 1000 wins would be a more compelling lure than what JB might publicly admit.
Absolutely.

When SU quit the Big East I said Boeheim would never coach in the ACC. I'll stick with that but if I'm wrong it will be for one year, no longer.

Outside of NC state I think Clemson was the last road ACC team we played like 6 years ago.
The nice weather for road trips/same time zone from dec-march. The chance to play UNC DUKE six times his first year.
JB saying "these are the kids I have wanted to recruit all these years" high academic not pain in the necks. Even our opponents he will respect. JB knowing it could be a rough first year for Syracuse in the ACC if he doesn't help get our foot in the door.

I imagine JB may be going through alittle withdrawl from the olympics. Who wouldn't?

My guess is that JB will announce his retirement and walk away after a season ends. I don't know what season, but I don't think he wants any kind of farewell tour. I think he'll avoid that like the plague.

My guess is that JB will announce his retirement and walk away after a season ends. I don't know what season, but I don't think he wants any kind of farewell tour. I think he'll avoid that like the plague.
Certain people who have lots of things named after them on the hill have said as much on this board before.

if hop gives me a call, he'll win five of the nrxt ten, guaranteed!