Pace of games next year | Syracusefan.com

Pace of games next year

OrlandoCuse

Living Legend
Best of luck to Ennis. Hopes he kills it in the NBA. Would have loved to have had him back next year but I won't dwell on it.

Looking to next year with Joseph getting handed the keys to the car. Can we expect him to pick up the pace of the offense to where we are starting to break 70 points a game again?

I loved TE's control over the offense but I found myself dreading the slow down, grind it out half court game that he ran. That wasn't typical Syracuse basketball. I'd love to see a quicker offense and the return of the fast break in the hands of Joseph.

Wishful thinking?

Concerned about depth a PG. I hope they find a Juco or 5th year transfer as a backup. Is there a serviceable MAC conference guard that wants to play big time ball?

Next year we'll find out if the pace was dictated by Ennis or Boeheim...and I suspect the HOF head coach had much more influence on the tempo than the Frosh PG

Best of luck to Ennis. Hopes he kills it in the NBA. Would have loved to have had him back next year but I won't dwell on it.

Looking to next year with Joseph getting handed the keys to the car. Can we expect him to pick up the pace of the offense to where we are starting to break 70 points a game again?

I loved TE's control over the offense but I found myself dreading the slow down, grind it out half court game that he ran. That wasn't typical Syracuse basketball. I'd love to see a quicker offense and the return of the fast break in the hands of Joseph.

Wishful thinking?

Concerned about depth a PG. I hope they find a Juco or 5th year transfer as a backup. Is there a serviceable MAC conference guard that wants to play big time ball?

Grant [if he returns], Rak, Roberson, McCullough, Buss, and BJ all look born to run. Cooney, too, to a lesser extent.

Might as well take advantage of all that athleticism and push the pace. I don't know how all of the talent will mesh, and what next year's team ceiling might be. But I do expect us to both play at a faster pace and be better shooting the ball from a team perspective.

Wishful thinking?

We have to be careful what we wish for. I believe one of our higher scoring teams in the past 10 years was our NIT team with Donte Greene. Obviously that team didn't know the word defense, but they also turned the ball over a ton. If we can consistently get in the 60's that's good enough to win. You don't want to sacrifice too much just to quicken the pace. What we need is guys who can knock down open jump shots.

There won't be any juco or otherwise. It'll be KJ, TC, G, and Buss (if he stays). It's what we had this year, probably the same next.

There won't be any juco or otherwise. It'll be KJ, TC, G, and Buss (if he stays). It's what we had this year, probably the same next.

I am almost certain we will go after a grad transfer if the right one pops up. Just like Barton last year.

We have to be careful what we wish for. I believe one of our higher scoring teams in the past 10 years was our NIT team with Donte Greene. Obviously that team didn't know the word defense, but they also turned the ball over a ton. If we can consistently get in the 60's that's good enough to win. You don't want to sacrifice too much just to quicken the pace. What we need is guys who can knock down open jump shots.
We're capable of playing a quicker offense and maintain our defensive standards.

Next year we may have the blessing / curse of not attempting to focus so much offense through 1 player. We might lack that go-to-guy at spot moments but we will be better overall on the average possession. It's a real opportunity to play 5 man ball.

We're capable of playing a quicker offense and maintain our defensive standards.
I'm not sure it seems like most people are putting the blame on Ennis for the slow pace, but the year before when we had MCW, who's game is made for transition, it's not like we were doing a whole lot of running then. I just don't see us increasing the pace that much. We were getting good looks in our offense we just don't have anyone that can put the ball in the basket.

It will be an interesting roster regardless. Seems to be perfect for pressing a little to push the tempo a bit more. Now, I doubt we press at all, but it would be fun.

I'd just like to see something done to try and dictate tempo against weaker teams- it doesn't have to be m2m or a full-court press, but even trapping more aggressively in the zone to get teams out of rhythm. This year's team could have used some easy baskets at times to try and get the offense moving.

Full_Rebar said:
I'd just like to see something done to try and dictate tempo against weaker teams- it doesn't have to be m2m or a full-court press, but even trapping more aggressively in the zone to get teams out of rhythm. This year's team could have used some easy baskets at times to try and get the offense moving.

Scoring will do it too.

we'll have gbinije, rak and hopefully grant. That's a great defensive core.

Trueblue25 said:
we'll have gbinije, rak and hopefully grant. That's a great defensive core.

Keep banging that drum.

I'm not sure it seems like most people are putting the blame on Ennis for the slow pace, but the year before when we had MCW, who's game is made for transition, it's not like we were doing a whole lot of running then. I just don't see us increasing the pace that much. We were getting good looks in our offense we just don't have anyone that can put the ball in the basket.

This is what worries me.

People forget so quickly; Boeheim reined in Mike quite a bit and our pace left a lot to be desired that season.

Assuming he stays conservative, we need a second ball-handler/distributor to step up in the worst way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom