Padgett at Louisville? | Syracusefan.com

Padgett at Louisville?

longtimefan

Hall of Fame
A member of the current, tainted staff. Who has no head coaching experience.

Were they that anxious to make a quick hire, or were they convinced that there was no more appropriate candidate out there who would be willing to take the job?

Maybe beggars can't be choosers.

It's an interim spot. This season probably isn't going to matter. They just need a warm body to take the lumps.

Surprised, thought Louisville would avoid coaches from RP's current staff for perception reasons at the least. He's represented by Andy Miller, the ASM agent who had his office raided and computer confiscated. Also read on the Card's board that they thought he was in Vegas at the time some of this stuff supposedly went down. Assuming they did some heavy vetting before naming him... ??

Just wondering - During his press conference did any reporter ask Padgett if he knew anything about the illegal activity going on by the head coach and other assistant. Does anyone believe he had no idea?

Surprised, thought Louisville would avoid coaches from RP's current staff for perception reasons at the least. He's represented by Andy Miller, the ASM agent who had his office raided and computer confiscated. Also read on the Card's board that they thought he was in Vegas at the time some of this stuff supposedly went down. Assuming they did some vetting before naming him... ??
As quickly as this happened, you have to wonder.

Padgett is a good guy. They wouldn't temp hire him if he was involved. The players really like and respect him and they are looking for any kind of stability and he brings that. It's not an audition, he's just trying to help and direct the players with practice that starts Sunday. It's a good temp hire. Longer term permanent hire would likely come from outside. Who knows the state of the program by then, but not good.

Surprised, thought Louisville would avoid coaches from RP's current staff for perception reasons at the least. He's represented by Andy Miller, the ASM agent who had his office raided and computer confiscated. Also read on the Card's board that they thought he was in Vegas at the time some of this stuff supposedly went down. Assuming they did some heavy vetting before naming him... ??
I have said this a few times today as it appears they still want someone to please the money around there....this hire smells bad.

Padgett is a good guy. They wouldn't temp hire him if he was involved. The players really like and respect him and they are looking for any kind of stability and he brings that. It's not an audition, he's just trying to help and direct the players with practice that starts Sunday. It's a good temp hire. Longer term permanent hire would likely come from outside. Who knows the state of the program by then, but not good.
any indication down there yet of other players besides Bowen they'll hold out, or any that might transfer out?

IMG_6838.PNG
A friend of mine who is a high school coach in California

I'm really not sure why anyone is surprised. They probably made a call or two to retired (or otherwise available) coaches, but a day before the season starts, they needed someone familiar with (what's left of) the team, someone that would have feet on the ground immediately, someone with whom they wouldn't have to have the back and forth of negotiation. They really stressed he was the interim coach. Next to zero chance he gets the gig for real. That would be begging for harsher punishment.

any indication down there yet of other players besides Bowen they'll hold out, or any that might transfer out?
No, have heard of no other current players in trouble or transferring out...yet. The players are somewhat demoralized as you can imagine. Despite Pitino and his antics, they like him for pushing them to be better players and men (current and past players). The players seem to be holding together and ready to go out and play for Padgett. I attended UofL's football game today, and they introduced the Bball players at halftime and they got a 90 sec standing ovation. I did hear something about Jaylen Johnson, who just left last year, but not sure if that's anything illegal or not yet. It's crazy around here with all the crap going on. Make's SU's past troubles pale in comparison...hopefully Cuse is in the clear in everything from here on out. Tired of controversies.

No, have heard of no other current players in trouble or transferring out...yet. The players are somewhat demoralized as you can imagine. Despite Pitino and his antics, they like him for pushing them to be better players and men (current and past players). The players seem to be holding together and ready to go out and play for Padgett. I attended UofL's football game today, and they introduced the Bball players at halftime and they got a 90 sec standing ovation. I did hear something about Jaylen Johnson, who just left last year, but not sure if that's anything illegal or not yet. It's crazy around here with all the crap going on. Make's SU's past troubles pale in comparison...hopefully Cuse is in the clear in everything from here on out. Tired of controversies.

I dont hate the move and i understand it, i can imagine Louisville is thinking they are all in for this year since they have a very good squad, put Padgett has the coach since he knows the system and the players respect him and hope the team rallies around him and can have the season they are hoping for, going forward after this season i think they will lose a lot of their key players and will be set back several years by this, basically they are going all in on this year because who knows what the future holds for them

Thanks.
So there's no worries/scuttlebutt you've heard about Padgett's possible involvement in the whole thing - or at least the optics of making a guy coach who was around when it was all going down?

I dont hate the move and i understand it, i can imagine Louisville is thinking they are all in for this year since they have a very good squad, put Padgett has the coach since he knows the system and the players respect him and hope the team rallies around him and can have the season they are hoping for, going forward after this season i think they will lose a lot of their key players and will be set back several years by this, basically they are going all in on this year because who knows what the future holds for them
I certainly agree.

Thanks.
So there's no worries/scuttlebutt you've heard about Padgett's possible involvement in the whole thing - or at least the optics of making a guy coach who was around when it was all going down?
On the surface, I've heard nothing negative about Padgett but who knows. I don't necessarily think every coach on their team was involved. Padgett handled his news conference really well with honesty and transparency and took the time to answer everyone's question. Someone actually had to say that the conference was over. Even after that he apparently did some one on one interviews. So again as a quick damage control patch and apparent good guy who has the players respect, I like the hire, but who knows what other shoes may fall ha ha.

no doubt he *seems* like a good/upstanding guy - just really really surprised they are making coach someone who was a key member of a corrupt staff

no doubt he *seems* like a good/upstanding guy - just really really surprised they are making coach someone who was a key member of a corrupt staff

I feel like they had few options. Practice has already started. They'd have to search for, interview, and negotiate a contract for an outside hire almost immediately.

It was never practical for the to hire a Tom Crean or someone like that this year.

I feel like they had few options. Practice has already started. They'd have to search for, interview, and negotiate a contract for an outside hire almost immediately.

It was never practical for the to hire a Tom Crean or someone like that this year.
And I assume getting a one-year guy from the outside is complicated by the specter of a self imposed tournament ban this year. I mean when your guy is on a wire talking about having bought a player, don't you get absolutely obliterated by the infractions committee if you don't self impose?

And I assume getting a one-year guy from the outside is complicated by the specter of a self imposed tournament ban this year. I mean when your guy is on a wire talking about having bought a player, don't you get absolutely obliterated by the infractions committee if you don't self impose?

I agree, but with that avatar I'd agree with you on anything.

On the surface, I've heard nothing negative about Padgett but who knows. I don't necessarily think every coach on their team was involved. Padgett handled his news conference really well with honesty and transparency and took the time to answer everyone's question. Someone actually had to say that the conference was over. Even after that he apparently did some one on one interviews. So again as a quick damage control patch and apparent good guy who has the players respect, I like the hire, but who knows what other shoes may fall ha ha.
Jurich seemed honest and upright too.

Jurich seemed honest and upright too.
True, but like I said, I'm just saying what I see on the surface. Plus, Jurich has been around a long time with lots of "things" going on. Padgett hasn't. Jurich has done a lot of good things for the university too during his tenure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom