Parker, Ingram, Tatum etc | Syracusefan.com

Parker, Ingram, Tatum etc

I'm really looking forward to hopefully watching a top 15 SU team again next year. It will finally feel like things are back to normal
How quickly we forget the last time we landed a top 10 recruit and a top 25 scoring point guard we landed in the NIT. What makes that “dynasty” team and next year’s roster so different? There are so many unknowns.

How quickly we forget the last time we landed a top 10 recruit and a top 25 scoring point guard we landed in the NIT. What makes that “dynasty” team and next year’s roster so different? There are so many unknowns.
You are a ray of sunshine on a cloudy day. We haven't recruited a kid as good as Bazley since Melo. Throw in Hughes and mix in some improvement in the kids we have coming back and I will take my chances.

Are you counting on our two best returning players blowing out their knees? With Rautins and Devendorf that’s easily a tourney team - as should next year’s team be.

Next years team should have a lot more returning talent and experience than 07-08 did.

Are you counting on our two best returning players blowing out their knees? With Rautins and Devendorf that’s easily a tourney team - as should next year’s team be.

Next years team should have a lot more returning talent and experience than 07-08 did.
I would be very disappointed if next years roster doesn’t get us back in the national discussion, but we’re putting a lot of expectations on baz to fix this thing. I seem to recall similar hype with donte, so it’s not crazy to pump the brakes and see what the practice reports say next August.

Btw before devo blew out his knee that team had tremendous firepower. They scored 120 points in one of their early games.

I would be very disappointed if next years roster doesn’t get us back in the national discussion, but we’re putting a lot of expectations on baz to fix this thing. I seem to recall similar hype with donte, so it’s not crazy to pump the brakes and see what the practice reports say next August.

Btw before devo blew out his knee that team had tremendous firepower. They scored 120 points in one of their early games.

My point is, Bazley should have more help than Donte. This year is rough but at least we have a lot of young players getting experience, and they should all be better next year.

Between graduation and injuries, we lost pretty much everybody from 07 to 08. Who did we have back that had played in 07? Just Harris?

Also, based on watching both in only one full HS game(limited), I think Bazley is a better all around player than Greene at this point. He may not score as much or hit as many 3’s but I think he’ll score more efficiently and within the flow, and I think he’ll do everything else better - handle the ball, pass, defense, rebound, shot selection.

They did have firepower, but they also gave up 110 points in a loss to a mediocre UMass team. Without the injuries, that would have been an interesting season.

I agree with your general point though. I think its alright to be cautiously optimistic, but let's not get carried away. 2007-08 shows that intervening factors can hijack those expectations. We don't even know yet who is returning to surround him. If Battle and Brisset both go pro, I am less optimistic about next season's upside and how high Bazely will fly in year 1. If we return Brisset I am much more optimistic. Bazely will be a lot better if we can surround him with options that must be respected defensively because he is not going to physically overpower defenders.

They did have firepower, but they also gave up 110 points in a loss to a mediocre UMass team. Without the injuries, that would have been an interesting season.

I agree with your general point though. I think its alright to be cautiously optimistic, but let's not get carried away. 2007-08 shows that intervening factors can hijack those expectations. We don't even know yet who is returning to surround him. If Battle and Brisset both go pro, I am less optimistic about next season's upside and how high Bazely will fly in year 1. If we return Brisset I am much more optimistic. Bazely will be a lot better if we can surround him with options that must be respected defensively because he is not going to physically overpower defenders.

Brissett...is not even as good as Paul Harris was as a freshman.

He’s a 6’8 forward that’s athletic, but he doesn’t have one offensive skill that’s even close to NBA level. I just don’t see it whatsoever at this point.

My point is, Bazley should have more help than Donte. This year is rough but at least we have a lot of young players getting experience, and they should all be better next year.

Between graduation and injuries, we lost pretty much everybody from 07 to 08. Who did we have back that had played in 07? Just Harris?

Also, based on watching both in only one full HS game(limited), I think Bazley is a better all around player than Greene at this point. He may not score as much or hit as many 3’s but I think he’ll score more efficiently and within the flow, and I think he’ll do everything else better - handle the ball, pass, defense, rebound, shot selection.

Bazely could be the best ballhandler on this year’s team. Him or HW.

I'll choose to be optimistic about next year. These past years have just been strange.

We've been mediocre at best, sometimes just downright bad - very frustrating to watch, missing the tourney, but somehow have two Final 4 appearances.

We look ahead and see Duke turning into the Alabama of basketball as an untouchable in a sport where some teams can cheat and others bettter not even think about slightly bending a rule. We clearly know where we fall in that pecking order.

But... the optimistic side of me says if anyone can challenge next years Duke team, it's a Syracuse team with Bazley/Carey/Hughes coming in with some promising talent returning. Can Brissett develop a consistent 3 point shot and can Sidibe get healthy?... if so, I'll roll with the talent, size, experience and length of FH/JC/DB/OB/PC/EH/BS etc.. against "$$$ the brotherhood $$$".

He’s a 6’8 forward that’s athletic, but he doesn’t have one offensive skill that’s even close to NBA level. I just don’t see it whatsoever at this point.

Yeah, not suggesting he will go pro, just that predicting the makeup of "next year's" roster is not as straight forward as it used to be when only the best of the best left early; and where those leaving early were typically doing so on the back of outstanding college performances, now it can be as much on the back of how long your arms are and how close together your eyes are or aren't. Take CMac for example his draft position clearly had nothing to do with anything he actually did in competition on a court.

Brissett is going nowhere. He would go undrafted if he declared this year.

Howard-Carey-Bazley-Brissett-Chukwu.
Hughes, Washington, Sidibe rotation. Dolezaj will be .5.
Buddy should RS.

Yeah, not suggesting he will go pro, just that predicting the makeup of "next year's" roster is not as straight forward as it used to be when only the best of the best left early; and where those leaving early were typically doing so on the back of outstanding college performances, now it can be as much on the back of how long your arms are and how close together your eyes are or aren't. Take CMac for example his draft position clearly had nothing to do with anything he actually did in competition on a court.
McCollough didn’t want to be in college.
He would have likely gone from HS if he could.
Brissett isn’t close to being drafted. McCollough had the body and potential.
Brissett needs to develop.
If he leaves which is his right he is more likely to go undrafted than go in the first round.

If he leaves which is his right he is more likely to go undrafted than go in the first round.
Bris wouldn't be selected by Duke let alone an NBA team. Kid has huge upside but he needs to make a big leap next year. I actually think hes 2 years out.

Duke lost in the first round with Jabari Parker/Rodney Hood and the second with Tatum, Giles and Kennard. Talent doesn’t guarantee them anything. I’ve heard like 3 years in a row they were going to go undefeated and they’ve yet to win the ACC regular season.

I hear you and agree that it would be a huge mistake for Brissett to test the waters anytime in the next few years. Where I will differ is the one offensive skill that's NBA level. His ability to beat his man off the dribble with his first step is NBA level now. That skill at 6-8 is what NBA scouts will focus on, along with his rebounding.

I hear you and agree that it would be a huge mistake for Brissett to test the waters anytime in the next few years. Where I will differ is the one offensive skill that's NBA level. His ability to beat his man off the dribble with his first step is NBA level now. That skill at 6-8 is what NBA scouts will focus on, along with his rebounding.

Good point. His first step is there. It just leads to nothing right now. If he becomes a much better shooter and finisher, he’ll be a nice prospect. Right now he’s a long way away in those areas, and it’s not like he’s a ball handler, passer, or playmaker. He’s gotta he able to score with his game and skill set.

Reactions: 007

But if he thinks someone will draft him...That's all it takes.

That's why I'd like the NCAA to continue player's amateur status until he actually signs a pro contract.

talent comes to Duke, loses to Cuse, then goes to the NBA. Wash, rinse, repeat. Can’t wait to see Zion carry on the tradition at the dome.

Yippee for us! Now, if we could only play the rest of our ACC games like it's our "Superbowl" as we apparently do when we play Duke, maybe we could get ourselves out of our seemingly perennial .500 place in the ACC. And, along those same lines, capture our first ACC tournament W!

But if he thinks someone will draft him...That's all it takes.

That's why I'd like the NCAA to continue player's amateur status until he actually signs a pro contract.

I'd take this a step further, it doesn't always require a guy to believe he'll get drafted. Some guys are content to be relatively certain they'll have a place to play for pay. With the growth of the G League we may see more guys who will not get drafted, leave early.

I think the whole play in college/play professionally dynamic is going to continue to evolve quickly as it has already evolved over the last 5-10 years. In that regard, things will change drastically if anything comes out of the FBI investigation and the wider payment of benefits to college players that often gets hinted at is true and gets exposed. I guess that's off of the original topic which related more directly to next season and OB.

Biggest disappointment with donte was his reluctance to bang down low. He was all perimeter and finesse.

Brissett is going nowhere. He would go undrafted if he declared this year.

Howard-Carey-Bazley-Brissett-Chukwu.
Hughes, Washington, Sidibe rotation. Dolezaj will be .5.
Buddy should RS.
ah, yes, Moyer apparently not on the team next year
(also, HW will be the ".5" if he gets any run at all)

ah, yes, Moyer apparently not on the team next year
(also, HW will be the ".5" if he gets any run at all)
I forget Moyer. It can happen. He will be in the rotation as well.
No malice in his omission.

I'd rather have a mix of juniors and seniors along with some talented freshman.

UVA has recently had that good mix. Villanova too.

We will have that mix next year.

2018-2019 final four.

Book it!!!