Part question, part observation | Syracusefan.com

Part question, part observation

pearl31

in cahoots
I'm not from Syracuse, nor am I an alum. I follow SU basketball only, no football. But I do follow college football at large and am aware of the type of season the SU football team is having from year to year. It seems to me that in years like this, in which the football team is doing poorly, a good % of those who are fans of both teams essentially take out their frustrations on the hoops squad. They seem to demand perfection from Boeheim and certain players (primarily shooting guards, it would appear) to compensate for what they've had to suffer through during the fall.
That's my observation anyway. What are your thoughts?

I would say the opposite as most likely….the football team for the last 12 years has made everyone appreciate the basketball team and Boeheim that much more.

I would say the opposite as most likely….the football team for the last 12 years has made everyone appreciate the basketball team and Boeheim that much more.
See, that's what I would have thought too. But my observation is that the fans who seem to favor SU football over hoops or at least are equally passionate about football and hoops, tend to take it out on the hoops board. Something like (and I suppose this would be a subconscious rationalization) "well the football season went to sh_t and there's nothing really left to be said about it, so now I'm sure as he!! going to demand perfection from the basketball team - they better make up for the disaster of the football season!"
It's almost like they can't bear just a good or solid basketball season following a bad football season - it has to be a spectacular basketball season since they suffered through football.
I think it really does all come down to perspective.

pearl31 said:
I'm not from Syracuse, nor am I an alum. I follow SU basketball only, no football. But I do follow college football at large and am aware of the type of season the SU football team is having from year to year

Me too! Let's start a "not from Syracuse, not a Syracuse alum, basketball only fan not football" group. Who else wants to join???

And, as a lifelong Minnesotan, I've definitely observed this with Gopher fans, too. Probably just human nature :noidea:

I'm not from Syracuse, nor am I an alum. I follow SU basketball only, no football. But I do follow college football at large and am aware of the type of season the SU football team is having from year to year. It seems to me that in years like this, in which the football team is doing poorly, a good % of those who are fans of both teams essentially take out their frustrations on the hoops squad. They seem to demand perfection from Boeheim and certain players (primarily shooting guards, it would appear) to compensate for what they've had to suffer through during the fall.
I think it's an individual thing perhaps. In my case, when SU football is having a poor season, I view the opening of the basketball season like a child views Christmas: with unbridled enthusiasm and excitement.

I can't wait for Friday night. At least with basketball, I know they will have big time moments throughout the year that make me proud to be an alum and a local.

I used to have that same excitement for SU football in the '90s. I would read all the college football preview magazines, and get psyched to see SU ranked in pre-season polls. That same level of excitement isn't there for me anymore with the football team, but it definitely makes me appreciate the basketball team that much more.

Poor Jason Hart seemed to catch a ton of heat after three pretty good football seasons.

Oddly, with the emergence of Troy Nunes and a solidly disappointing year in 1999, Hart had his best season and became a fan favorite.

Maybe because at least with the hoops team, as we saw through 25 games last year, perfection is at least a distant possibility.

Maybe because at least with the hoops team, as we saw through 25 games last year, perfection is at least a distant possibility.

Even one play can do it. The Fab Melo 360 dunk still does a lot for me, but I'm not sure the football team can placate me with one play like that.

I don't see it. I just think expectations are higher for the basketball team because of past success. I've seen periods where the football team was better than the basketball team and vice versa, and I've seen times where both were equally good. I don't think I've seen fans take out frustrations for one on the other.

Even one play can do it. The Fab Melo 360 dunk still does a lot for me, but I'm not sure the football team can placate me with one play like that.
I don't know about that the Michael Owens 2 point conversion was a pretty big play for me on the football side or the bomb to Moore against Penn State. I think the basketball team has been consistent winner since the mid 70's. I have followed both sports since the 70's and the football team has sucked more than it has been good.

I don't know about that the Michael Owens 2 point conversion was a pretty big play for me on the football side or the bomb to Moore against Penn State

Those were both iconic plays!

They probably don't mean much to those who weren't around to see them / expererience their significance, but I agree with you 100%.

I also wonder how this board would respond with a crop of 1 and 2 Star recruits and getting all excited when we landed a big 3 Star recruit. Football is competing in a league with five Top 25 teams. They have no chance of winning until they can attract the necessary talent. On the basketball side, we know what it takes to win and we do get the talent.

Last edited:
I also wonder how this board would respond with a crop of 1 and 2 Star recruits and getting all excited when we landed a big 3 Star recruit. Football is competing in league with five Top 25 teams. They have no chance of winning until they can attract the necessary talent. On the basketball side, we know what it takes to win and we do get the talent.
Thanks for that pearl of wisdom. I will pass it on to the staff. How many on a basketball team?

I don't know about that the Michael Owens 2 point conversion was a pretty big play for me on the football side or the bomb to Moore against Penn State. I think the basketball team has been consistent winner since the mid 70's. I have followed both sports since the 70's and the football team has sucked more than it has been good.

I actually almost mentioned that in my post. But how long ago was that? I recall it being played on the radio, and years later on a beer commercial... "pitches to Owens, he dives in the end zone, YES!!!!! YESSS!!!!! YESSSSSS!!!". I'm not going to look up the date, but the fact we have to go that far back says something. I also got distracted by that and forgot that my point was the even if we hadn't been having a pretty decent hoops season, the Melo 360 still would have excited me in ways few football plays in a 4 win season might. Again, that's just my personal preference and I'm not saying it's more valid than anyone else's.

I actually almost mentioned that in my post. But how long ago was that? I recall it being played on the radio, and years later on a beer commercial... "pitches to Owens, he dives in the end zone, YES!!!!! YESSS!!!!! YESSSSSS!!!". I'm not going to look up the date, but the fact we have to go that far back says something. I also got distracted by that and forgot that my point was the even if we hadn't been having a pretty decent hoops season, the Melo 360 still would have excited me in ways few football plays in a 4 win season might. Again, that's just my personal preference and I'm not saying it's more valid than anyone else's.
I said those plays were big for ME. I am more of a hoops guy too always have been. and your right it was a long time ago our magical 87 undefeated season followed by heart break on the Keith Smart jumper

As someone from the Syracuse area and an alum...I disagree.

I said those plays were big for ME. I am more of a hoops guy too always have been. and your right it was a long time ago our magical 87 undefeated season followed by heart break on the Keith Smart jumper

I apologize, I misread it. I think it's about time I stepped away from the keyboard for awhile. It's like watching an episodes of "Cops" where they have to coax someone away with guns drawn sometimes(Not literally, of course. Not yet anyhow).

I apologize, I misread it. I think it's about time I stepped away from the keyboard for awhile. It's like watching an episodes of "Cops" where they have to coax someone away with guns drawn sometimes(Not literally, of course. Not yet anyhow).
its alright my friend its all good!

Thanks for that pearl of wisdom. I will pass it on to the staff. How many on a basketball team?

Of the 10 scholarship players on the basketball team, two are 3 Star recruits. All of the others are higher. How many of the 100 or so on the football team are +3 Star?

On the bright side, I think being in the ACC raises our recruiting chances, but it's a long road back to the elite club.

See, that's what I would have thought too. But my observation is that the fans who seem to favor SU football over hoops or at least are equally passionate about football and hoops, tend to take it out on the hoops board. Something like (and I suppose this would be a subconscious rationalization) "well the football season went to sh_t and there's nothing really left to be said about it, so now I'm sure as he!! going to demand perfection from the basketball team - they better make up for the disaster of the football season!"
It's almost like they can't bear just a good or solid basketball season following a bad football season - it has to be a spectacular basketball season since they suffered through football.
I think it really does all come down to perspective.
Pearl, your question is interesting but probably too broad to answer concisely. There are so many layers of "fans." There are the fans on this board who are clearly insane. Then there are the season ticket holders. Then there are people who love SU hoops and will arrange their viewing schedules around it but can't get to the games in person. Then there is the more casual fan who likes to jump on and off the bandwagon.

So, then the "simple" question of how are the basketball fans influenced by the football team's fate becomes so contextualized that it makes my head ache. Speaking as an individual, when the football team is struggling it makes me feel bad. My heart goes out to the kids and coaches and their parents and families and girlfriends and everyone. Then I have to tell myself to get a grip. Then I begin to inevitably yearn for basketball, but my love for the team is a constant, like the sun (I say modestly). My intellectual expectations for them are based upon the level of talent we have each year and has nothing to do with the football team's success or failure.

I feel that my attempts to address your question have been quite muddled, and I will now retire to watch "Modern Family."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom