PBA Bowling Tour Discussion Thread | Syracusefan.com

PBA Bowling Tour Discussion Thread

jncuse

I brought the Cocaine to the White House
Flipping through the channels, this seems to be the one sport that said screw it, we are playing and we are playing with crowds.

Crickets.

I believe some of that stuff was taped before today.

I believe some of that stuff was taped before today.

That is what I thought when I saw it.

But check their twitter. It's live.

I did watch it for 2 minutes earlier when I was checking online to see if it was live.

Some guy was actually kissing his bowling ball before his shot. Is that recommended by the CDC?

watch bowling all the time, just hard to find it when so many sports are on..

That is what I thought when I saw it.

But check their twitter. It's live.

You're right, but I do know sometimes they do air the finals on tape, sometimes weeks after they happen. At any rate, those stepladder finals usually run about two hours; some people are spending longer than that in grocery stores today.

Live action on FS1 right now. No audience. PBA will suspend play after this tournament concludes.

The most famous quote in PBA history

Pete Weber's a hoot. His old man, Dick, had mad game, too. Nice guy, at least to Fireball Jr. when he was covering sports for the daily rag in the PBA's hometown, Akron, in the '70s. The PBA was pretty popular back then, had nice Nielsen numbers for its Saturday afternoon finals on ABC with Chris Schenkel, Billy Welu, Nelson Burton Jr.

This trip down memory lane reminds me of a really nice, sweet man from Syracuse, Marty Piraino, who I did a piece on one year when he made it onto national TV for the finals. Reminded me of guys my old man bowled with here in Rochester.

Marty Piraino, Syracuse bowling legend, dies at 88

A19952A4-512C-46E7-BDD3-85AC4EBBCFB1.jpeg

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember getting some Top 100 paid athletes magazines in the mid to late 80's, and there was a bowler or two on the list.

As noted above, seemed to have an era where it very popular.

Pete Weber's a hoot. His old man, Dick, had mad game, too. Nice guy, at least to Fireball Jr. when he was covering sports for the daily rag in the PBA's hometown, Akron, in the '70s. The PBA was pretty popular back then, had nice Nielsen numbers for its Saturday afternoon finals on ABC with Chris Schenkel, Billy Welu, Nelson Burton Jr.

This trip down memory lane reminds me of a really nice, sweet man from Syracuse, Marty Piraino, who I did a piece on one year when he made it onto national TV for the finals. Reminded me of guys my old man bowled with here in Rochester.

Marty Piraino, Syracuse bowling legend, dies at 88

View attachment 178126
Great stuff. Dick Weber was the guy my father, a very good bowler, had me closely observe when he was teaching me the game back in the 60s. We never missed those Saturday afternoon telecasts when I was growing up.

Dick was the embodiment of the classic bowling style that predominated before the power players like Mark Roth started changing the sport. Pete's style was similar to his father's, although their personalities could not have been more different.

I remember Marty Piraino well also, as he was a fixture in CNY bowling circles.

Thanks for the memories, Fireball Jr. Is that you in the photo interviewing Dick Weber?

About 25 years ago I participated in a mini bowling tournament held by AMF amongst the Company's bankers. I ended up having the high game and my prize was an autographed pin by Dick Weber who was there in attendance. Still have it.

I remember growing up in Syracuse and watching Marty Piraino on tv (Channel 3?) on Sunday mornings back in the 70s where he would crush the local competition. I believe he then went on to do the broadcast. He was a lefty if I'm not mistaken.

Great stuff. Dick Weber was the guy my father, a very good bowler, had me closely observe when he was teaching me the game back in the 60s. We never missed those Saturday afternoon telecasts when I was growing up.

Dick was the embodiment of the classic bowling style that predominated before the power players like Mark Roth started changing the sport. Pete's style was similar to his father's, although their personalities could not have been more different.

I remember Marty Piraino well also, as he was a fixture in CNY bowling circles.

Thanks for the memories, Fireball Jr. Is that you in the photo interviewing Dick Weber?

Yessir, that's me about 20 lifetimes ago. Not sure who the guy in middle was, I think he's giving me the stink eye. Probably jealous of my platform shoes. :)

About 25 years ago I participated in a mini bowling tournament held by AMF amongst the Company's bankers. I ended up having the high game and my prize was an autographed pin by Dick Weber who was there in attendance. Still have it.

I remember growing up in Syracuse and watching Marty Piraino on tv (Channel 3?) on Sunday mornings back in the 70s where he would crush the local competition. I believe he then went on to do the broadcast. He was a lefty if I'm not mistaken.

You are correct, sir, Marty was a lefty.

Very cool.

Marty was a lefty and won several PBA tour events and a bunch of regional PBA tournaments, so those locals were really up against it.

“I ended up having the high game and my prize was an autographed pin by Dick Weber”

it’s not often the words pin and Dick occupy the same sentence and it’s actually a positive .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom