Pearl Makes NY Post's All-Time NYC Team | Syracusefan.com

Pearl Makes NY Post's All-Time NYC Team

Love those articles. My dad went to Clinton at the same time as Schayes. They've turned out some good players over the years.

So, I suppose that Boys High School that Lenny Wilkens went to, is what became Boys and Girls where Pearl went.

Love those articles. My dad went to Clinton at the same time as Schayes. They've turned out some good players over the years.
Wait...we have a common theme in Albany already. But my dad not only went to school with but played with Tiny Archibald at Dewitt Clinton! Pops was a senior, Tiny was a freshman. Came into the gym super arrogant and my dad and his buddy said something like 'let's show this freshman what basketball is about' and then of course, Archibald single-handedly sifted through all 5 players full court and scored with ease. My dad said he shut up about Tiny from then on.

http://nypost.com/2015/02/11/kareem-cousy-and-the-all-time-nyc-basketball-team/

12-man team. Not bad company. A reminder of how big a get Pearl was for SU and the BE.

He's the only one here not to have a strong NBA career (besides Connie Hawkins whose issue was not lack of NBA star level ability).

Pearl's main issue was that he was lazy and lacked a work ethic. He was so talented, that he got by on natural ability. In games where SU had a clear advantage, he'd sometimes not give 100%. Meanwhile, the guy playing against him would be jacked sky high to play against The Pearl, and often outplay him.

But in big games, when the lights were on, there was noone better. Oh man--he was a talent!

But the lack of work ethic bit him in the butt when he got to the NBA and couldn't just coast by on ability anymore. Oh well--things turned out all right for him regardless.

Edit--and I'm not making this post to trash Pearl, one of my all time favorites. It is a statement of fact that there was a marked contrast between how hard he played a lot of the time, versus a lesser talented but exponentially harder worker in Sherman Douglas--who hated to lose and wanted to destroy everybody he played against.

Wait...we have a common theme in Albany already. But my dad not only went to school with but played with Tiny Archibald at Dewitt Clinton! Pops was a senior, Tiny was a freshman. Came into the gym super arrogant and my dad and his buddy said something like 'let's show this freshman what basketball is about' and then of course, Archibald single-handedly sifted through all 5 players full court and scored with ease. My dad said he shut up about Tiny from then on.

My grandfather was a proud alumnus of Erasmus...but he didn't play against Billy Cunningham. So I've got no anecdote, really.

http://nypost.com/2015/02/11/kareem-cousy-and-the-all-time-nyc-basketball-team/

12-man team. Not bad company. A reminder of how big a get Pearl was for SU and the BE.

He's the only one here not to have a strong NBA career (besides Connie Hawkins whose issue was not lack of NBA star level ability).

Connie Hawkins averaged over 20 a game for his career in the pros. His first two years he played in the ABA and averaged around 30 a game. He's a hall of famer too.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/hawkico01.html

Pearl's main issue was that he was lazy and lacked a work ethic. He was so talented, that he got by on natural ability. In games where SU had a clear advantage, he'd sometimes not give 100%. Meanwhile, the guy playing against him would be jacked sky high to play against The Pearl, and often outplay him.

But in big games, when the lights were on, there was noone better. Oh man--he was a talent!

But the lack of work ethic bit him in the butt when he got to the NBA and couldn't just coast by on ability anymore. Oh well--things turned out all right for him regardless.

Edit--and I'm not making this post to trash Pearl, one of my all time favorites. It is a statement of fact that there was a marked contrast between how hard he played a lot of the time, versus a lesser talented but exponentially harder worker in Sherman Douglas--who hated to lose and wanted to destroy everybody he played against.

Boeheim says this in his book as much. He seemed to think Pearl didn't love the game like a lot of the other greats he has been around.

That is an incredible starting 5 to come out of one city.
Kareem, Connie Hawkins, Bernard King, Chris Mullin, Bob Cousy. And the bench is great too.

Tiny was great. Did you grow up in the Bronx.

Boogie down, Boogie down. :)
Nah, pops did. I grew up in Queens but my brother went to Bronx Science.

Piano Teacher: Not bad... Mr. Connors, you say this is your first lesson?
Phil: Yes, but my father was a piano *mover*, so...
My cousin went to Science. Graduated in 77.

Roger Brown is definitely one of the greatest players ever to come out of New York City. He only played one year of college ball on Dayton's freshman team before he and Connie Hawkins were falsely accused of point shaving (because they had been introduced to gambler Jack Molinas when they were in high school). I saw him play in many UD freshman games and then watched him play for years in amateur leagues around Ohio after he was banned by the NCAA and NBA and he was an incredibly talented player. The best player Dayton has ever had by far. The ABA finally gave Brown and Hawkins a chance to play pro ball and today they are both in the Basketball Hall of Fame.

What can I say about Pearl Washington? Boeheim's first big national recruit. One of the most exciting basketball players of his era. He's the one who elevated Syracuse hoops to another level.

Last edited:
Did the Big East use the 3 point shot before the NCAA instituted it in 1986? The caption under Mullin says he's taking a 3 during the 1983 BET. He was out of college before the 1986/87 season.