Penn State opponent preview: Syracuse packs unknown for season opener | Syracusefan.com

Penn State opponent preview: Syracuse packs unknown for season opener

There was another really bad one but I don't care to go back and look. Do editors exist anymore?

I had trouble reading the first three paragraphs. Awfully written, awfully edited... just awful.

Ya know, it really sucks having a student body from a journalism school. We have some real article snobs around here...

"HE USED A SEMICOLON! You should never use a semicolon in place of a colon! How Amateur..."

Yes, because correct grammar from professional writers is an unnecessarily high expectation.
Correct grammar used to be a basic job skill for anyone who graduated from high school. It wasn't reserved for professional writers.

Even non-Newhouse grads have their peeves. "duel" vs. "dual" is one of mine.

The article's typos are also distracting. "certainly" instead of "certainty", "David" instead of "Davis", etc..

Of course, I keep forgetting... it's "blog" instead of "newspaper". Today's world either can't afford an editor/proofreader or doesn't value the associated improvements.

After a season experiencing the unexpected by beating West Virginia 38-14 in the Pinstripe Bowl to cap an 8-5 season, Syracuse again returns to uncharted waters in 2013.

This is one horrendously written sentence.

Yes, because correct grammar from professional writers is an unnecessarily high expectation.

Unfortunately in these www days, it is.

To me, when I see it, I immediately do not take the article seriously. Maybe that makes me old school, but I can't change it.

This type of thing happens fairly often on Syracuse.com as well. Lack of grammar and spelling can make reading tweets and texts annoying too. I guess that's just one more reason why I found my calling as a teacher.

This type of thing happens fairly often on Syracuse.com as well. Lack of grammar and spelling can make reading tweets and texts annoying too. I guess that's just one more reason why I found my calling as a teacher.
The grammar and spelling is one reason I definitely struggle with getting very excited about twitter.

Thing is, I can deal with it in texts and tweets. I've accepted the fact that those are hit and run mediums, many of which are being typed into a phone. I'm a huge twitter fan for getting quick hits of information about news, sports, financial, etc. (I don't use it for any friend interaction, assuming I had any).

But when you release an article on the www (which is the only place to find articles in this day and age), I think you need to pay much better attention to how your article is presented. Especially assuming your goal is to have as many people as possible that think that your stuff is worth reading.

I agree the writing is terrible (or is it: Eye ugree thah ritin' iz tarrubull), but the info portrayed makes the grammar mistakes worse. There is clear selection of facts and then the analysis is weak at best (I'm trying to be nice but I have to lie to be nice). From what I gather, Syracuse football is barely high school level and PSU, as well as everyone else, will have the game in hand by the end of the first quarter. Let the underestimate the Orange. :D

This is one horrendously written sentence.
That sentence is so poorly written it's difficult to even take a guess as to the intended meaning.

BTW, I hope HCSS bars Mink from all practices leading up to the Ped St game. Then again, he has so little football knowledge maybe it wouldn't matter.