Perhaps Someone Can Explain This | Syracusefan.com

Perhaps Someone Can Explain This

Col. Bleep

All American
Maybe some of the more basketball savvy people can help here.

I don't understand the 2nd half offensive tactics against Alcorn St.

We went the first 9:40 without a field goal.
We were failing miserably at wild drives, attempted put backs and had horrific point play.

In all that time, I didn't see a single offensive set designed to get a good shot.
The first one I noticed came with about 7:30 left when MCW, Southerland & Fair worked a 3-man semi-pick and roll and Fair got a nice look
from the lane and hit a short jumper.

So what gives? Why is the coach apparently so averse to running a few plays?
Especially under these circumstances.

They do run plays but they aren't super structured like other teams run. JB likes a loose offense to allow his athletes/playmakers freelance a little.

Because he doesn't really know how to coach and never did and encourages all his players to be criminals

It was the first game back after break against a 2-11 team. They went through the motions. Nothing more. People need to just chalk up the win and forget about this game.

I sat court side last night. And the point guard called a play at nearly every half court sequence.

Perhaps it could be the players that didn't execute them well.

If we were speaking of Phil Jackson, the rationale would be that 'he's letting them (the team) figure it out for themselves in a low-risk situation.'

Because he doesn't really know how to coach and never did and encourages all his players to be criminals
That is some succinct sarcasm. Well-done.

That one play you mention was our first bucket attempt from the high post all game (one not being a exaggeration). I was watching for that from the opening tip. Alcorn State was probably aware of this the entire second half as well. Coincidentally Cooney went across the freethrow line for a pic layup and Triche used a high post screen to get to the line the next to plays after.

Compared to temple we ran atleast 20 plays from that spot. We need to score comfortably from more places then the freethrowline which we haven't done all year when Southerland isn't wide open.

Its more important our guys learn to create shots outside of motion against tough Defense then it is to win right now.

That one play you mention was our first bucket attempt from the high post all game (one not being a exaggeration). I was watching for that from the opening tip. Alcorn State was probably aware of this the entire second half as well. Coincidentally Cooney went across the freethrow line for a pic layup and Triche used a high post screen to get to the line the next to plays after.

Compared to temple we ran atleast 20 plays from that spot. We need to score comfortably from more places then the freethrowline which we haven't done all year when Southerland isn't wide open.

Its more important our guys learn to create shots outside of motion against tough Defense then it is to win right now.
Orangefan13: Honest question---I lurk here quite a bit and that avatar of yours distracts me every time. Is that from a Grateful Dead t-shirt or something? This is just an observation, not meant with any ill-will.

Not that I know of but I wouldn't be surprised. :D

I got it from a church site and has to do with the message of God, Jesus and Redemption.

Not that I know of but I wouldn't be surprised. :D

I got it from a church site and has to do with the message of God, Jesus and Redemption.
Ok. Now I see some of the symbolism. Thanks for the clarification.

I sat court side last night. And the point guard called a play at nearly every half court sequence.

Perhaps it could be the players that didn't execute them well.
Thanks, to those of us watching at home, it appeared the PG's were giving directions.
But if the problem was a lack of execution of set plays, that's even more alarming than the failure to successfully freelance.
Without any real post game, the Orange are going to need to execute some plays.

If we were speaking of Phil Jackson, the rationale would be that 'he's letting them (the team) figure it out for themselves in a low-risk situation.'
I was thinking along these lines. Maybe JB is sick of no one hearing his message. Sometimes a coach has to let the team fail a bit in order to start to get "it". As fans, we want to manage the team on a game-by-game basis. Coaches don't necessarily think like that, especially in December.