Perspective and Coaches | Syracusefan.com

Perspective and Coaches

HoustonCuse

2020-21 Iggy Winner Lead Scorer & Post Season Rcd
As I watch this year's team, I am struck by something important about perspective and how we form opinions about things. I see a Syracuse team that doesn't play anything like I have seen in over 30 years of fandom. They appear to lack toughness, fortitude, at times even pride. They don't appear to be particularly good at executing team concepts on offense or defense. They make dumb mistakes. They look very poor in the program's bread and butter zone defense. They look scared and listless on the road. They've seemingly broken every "bad" program record in the book - at least with respect to the modern era. In short, among other things, they look poorly coached.

What is so striking about that is that this season very well could have been Hopkins' first as HC. It wouldn't have taken some miracle for JB to retire after sticking it to the NCAA with the Final Four run last year. Imagine for a moment that JB did retire and we saw this exact season play out just as it has, but with Hopkins as HC. What would we think of him as a coach? What would our reactions be to the "Hopkins experiment?" Would we be calling for his ouster already? Would we see any possible explanation other than his complete incompetence for the team's dramatic performance dropoff from Final Four and preseason expectations to historically bad?

I think that we know the answers: Hopkins would be pilloried with extreme prejudice and many, many fans would see the only possible action to restore Syracuse to it's rightful place would be to send him packing. I have to admit, I am sure I would be among that group.

But instead of that, we got this glimpse into what would seem an alternate reality that is the 2016-17 Syracuse basketball season, fully and completely coached by Hall of Fame Legend James A. Boeheim. I hope we realize that Hopkins is going to deserve some benefit of the doubt and that we shouldn't form a raging mob after a limited amount of information - or even 20+ games like we have seen this year.

As a final thought, consider that if Hopkins was coach this year and we had scored just 3 more points against Yukon. We'd be sitting at 13-8 and be howling for Mike Hopkins head. Never knowing that such a performance by HCMH would have actually been better than what Boeheim could muster with this team (so far).

This year, Boeheim, Izzo, and K are struggling (although K a little less so in terms of wins/losses). Although Capel is theoretically the acting head coach, K summoned the team and coaches to the Mount and kicked their proverbial butts. I wonder what Capel thought of that? I wonder if he felt humiliated. I wonder if it made him question his ability to be the head coach of Duke? I can't see Boeheim ever doing such a thing to Hop.

We have to give Hop a chance of 3 - 4 years, I feel. The sands are shifting so fast planet-wise, country-wise, and college bball-wise. The old way of coaching seems to be fading. We don't know what is coming next. All I am saying, is give Hop a chance. And a chance. And a chance. I believe UNC knew within 2 years that that immature stupid sexist coach (name forgotten) was not going to do it for them. They got rid of him, got Roy and are riding high once again, although they had some bad years.

I agree that many of us are going to be a little trigger happy with Hop after Boeheim retires. I just hope we don't pull it too soon, because that could be a huge mistake.

This year, Boeheim, Izzo, and K are struggling (although K a little less so in terms of wins/losses). Although Capel is theoretically the acting head coach, K summoned the team and coaches to the Mount and kicked their proverbial butts. I wonder what Capel thought of that? I wonder if he felt humiliated. I wonder if it made him question his ability to be the head coach of Duke? I can't see Boeheim ever doing such a thing to Hop.

We have to give Hop a chance of 3 - 4 years, I feel. The sands are shifting so fast planet-wise, country-wise, and college bball-wise. The old way of coaching seems to be fading. We don't know what is coming next. All I am saying, is give Hop a chance. And a chance. And a chance. I believe UNC knew within 2 years that that immature stupid s e xist coach (name forgotten) was not going to do it for them. They got rid of him, got Roy and are riding high once again, although they had some bad years.

I agree that many of us are going to be a little trigger happy with Hop after Boeheim retires. I just hope we don't pull it too soon, because that could be a huge mistake.
Matt Doherty

As I watch this year's team, I am struck by something important about perspective and how we form opinions about things. I see a Syracuse team that doesn't play anything like I have seen in over 30 years of fandom. They appear to lack toughness, fortitude, at times even pride. They don't appear to be particularly good at executing team concepts on offense or defense. They make dumb mistakes. They look very poor in the program's bread and butter zone defense. They look scared and listless on the road. They've seemingly broken every "bad" program record in the book - at least with respect to the modern era. In short, among other things, they look poorly coached.

What is so striking about that is that this season very well could have been Hopkins' first as HC. It wouldn't have taken some miracle for JB to retire after sticking it to the NCAA with the Final Four run last year. Imagine for a moment that JB did retire and we saw this exact season play out just as it has, but with Hopkins as HC. What would we think of him as a coach? What would our reactions be to the "Hopkins experiment?" Would we be calling for his ouster already? Would we see any possible explanation other than his complete incompetence for the team's dramatic performance dropoff from Final Four and preseason expectations to historically bad?

I think that we know the answers: Hopkins would be pilloried with extreme prejudice and many, many fans would see the only possible action to restore Syracuse to it's rightful place would be to send him packing. I have to admit, I am sure I would be among that group.

But instead of that, we got this glimpse into what would seem an alternate reality that is the 2016-17 Syracuse basketball season, fully and completely coached by Hall of Fame Legend James A. Boeheim. I hope we realize that Hopkins is going to deserve some benefit of the doubt and that we shouldn't form a raging mob after a limited amount of information - or even 20+ games like we have seen this year.

As a final thought, consider that if Hopkins was coach this year and we had scored just 3 more points against Yukon. We'd be sitting at 13-8 and be howling for Mike Hopkins head. Never knowing that such a performance by HCMH would have actually been better than what Boeheim could muster with this team (so far).
I agree that Hop would probably be getting a whole lot of criticism about the results this year however I think Boeheim has gotten that too. People have said he is only half engaged, that he is too old and that he isn't interested in doing any recruiting and so on and so forth. He also is too stuck in his ways, won't abandon the zone and can't coach offense. Also, no one wants to come here because he is means to his players. Some have even suggested when he gets win 1000 that his players wouldn't even be happy for him. I'm not suggesting none of them have any merit but the idea that he has gotten a pass because of his legend status is not correct in my opinion.

I look at this team and I'm willing to blame the staff for players that are on the floor due to recruiting misses (Newton, Morris etc.) and kids we thought would be better (Joseph, Buss, BJ etc.) but I don't think there is any huge lack of effort or that kids don't care or that we are capable of winning 30 games and it's just not happening. I thought this team would be way better than this but by about 6 games in I realized what we were to some degree. I don't think there is some way to coach them up that would have gotten us there faster. I also think that while some would like to believe that Hop will be given some time that is foolish. The first time we lost 3 of 4 people are going to be coming for him. Some people are already coming for him now and he doesn't even have the job yet.

Excellent post. People thought Hopkins did a bad job last year going 4-5. Boeheim went 4-5 to end the season, prior to the NCAA Tourament with the exact same team. Rookie coach vs. HOF coach.

People have said he is only half engaged, that he is too old and that he isn't interested in doing any recruiting and so on and so forth. He also is too stuck in his ways, won't abandon the zone and can't coach offense. Also, no one wants to come here because he is means to his players. Some have even suggested when he gets win 1000 that his players wouldn't even be happy for him.

People are dumb. Boeheim took an average team to a Final Four less a than a year ago. Was he too old then? He recruited Tyler Lydon, a kid nobody wanted. Turns out he's a potential lottery pick. In addition to the kids that keep leaving early for the NBA almost annually. Taurean Thompson was ranked about where Lydon was. #75 or so. He's pretty good. Beat out Kansas, Michigan State and Seton Hall. Tyus Battle is pretty good. Recruiting is fine.

It's a good thing Boehiem is stuck in his ways and won't abandon the zone. We would not have made the NCAA Tournament last year if he did. And nobody with a brain thinks Boehiem is mean to his players. You must have him confused with Bobby Knight. And other than maybe Louis McCroskey, what players would not be happy to see JB win #1000? The people that think JB can't coach offense must have forgotten that Syracuse averaged over 80 ppg almost annually up until the last 5 years. This team is averaging 76 ppg and shooting 39% from 3. The defense isn't very good.

Look around at the other programs that are NIT bound or worse. Michigan State had the #3 class in the nation and they are 12-9. Oklahoma, another Final 4 team from last year is terrible. Georgetown, UConn, Texas all stink. Ohio State stinks. Indiana is 14-7. None of those programs have to play in the ACC, which has 10-11 NCAA tournament teams. We play in a brutal conference. It's a grind. Duke has 5 losses! Boehiem didn't forget how to coach or recruit in 10 months. The great Tom Izzo and Coach K are struggling as well with a ton more talent.

Last edited:
People are dumb. Boeheim took an average team to a Final Four less a than a year ago. Was he too old then? He recruited Tyler Lydon, a kid nobody wanted. Turns out he's a potential lottery pick. In addition to the kids that keep leaving early for the NBA almost annually. Taurean Thompson was ranked about where Lydon was. #75 or so. He's pretty good. Beat out Kansas, Michigan State and Seton Hall. Tyus Battle is pretty good. Recruiting is fine.

It's a good thing Boehiem is stuck in his ways and won't abandon the zone. We would not have made the NCAA Tournament last year if he did. And nobody with a brain thinks Boehiem is mean to his players. You must have him confused with Bobby Knight. And other than maybe Louis McCroskey, what players would not be happy to see JB win #1000? The people that think JB can't coach offense must have forgotten that Syracuse averaged over 80 ppg almost annually up until the last 5 years. This team is averaging 76 ppg and shooting 39% from 3. The defense isn't very good.

Look around at the other programs that are NIT bound or worse. Michigan State had the #3 class in the nation and they are 12-9. Oklahoma, another Final 4 team from last year is terrible. Georgetown, UConn, Texas all stink. Ohio State stinks. Indiana is 14-7. None of those programs have to play in the ACC, which has 10-11 NCAA tournament teams. We play in a brutal conference. It's a grind. Duke has 5 losses! Boehiem didn't forget how to coach or recruit in 10 months. The great Tom Izzo and Coach K are struggling as well with a ton more talent.

People aren't dumb. The F4 has sure given the program some momentum hasn't it? It's a two-way street. That improbable (based on performance) F4 run truly prevented the vultures from circling the campus, IMO. This is the fourth now mediocre (at best) season in a row in terms of performance as a whole. Four recruiting classes now that we can't find a PG to replace the mighty Ennis. So, according to your standards and expectations since recruiting apparently is fine; we are what you have expected? A middle of the pack ACC team? We're 25-28 in the ACC since the Ennis miracle shot @Pitt if my math is correct. Body of work counts. The majority of these four seasons has seen some unfathomably bad offensive basketball. Taco times have been a rarity of late. The defense kept us in it last year for sure. Again, I'm not dumb and would never expect Boeheim to leave the zone. It won't happen. It's his brand. He's going to stick with it sink or swim. Boeheim being disrespectful to some players is certainly up for debate. We're also dealing with a second probabtion under his watch. Questioning player development seems valid when so many of our players lack basic fundamentals and make the same mental mistakes over and over. Seven or eight players since 2013 aren't even here, can't contribute, or are inconsistent. Next season we may need to plug walkons into key roles to field a roster! Syracuse SHOULD be getting Tyler Lydons and TT's.

Boeheim's 72, laid back, and it's fair to suggest that the program is sliding because of the boss. It happens all over the place in terms of a leader losing momentum, checking out, losing energy, not adapting to the times. The brand seems stale if you ask me. It will be up to Hop to fix it.

Last edited:
People aren't dumb. The F4 has sure given the program some momentum hasn't it? It's a two-way street. That improbable (based on performance) F4 run truly prevented the vultures from circling the campus, IMO. This is the fourth now mediocre (at best) season in a row in terms of performance as a whole. Four recruiting classes now that we can't find a PG to replace the mighty Ennis. So, according to your standards and expectations since recruiting apparently is fine; we are what you have expected? A middle of the pack ACC team? We're 25-28 in the ACC since the Ennis miracle shot @Pitt if my math is correct. Body of work counts. The majority of these four seasons has seen some unfathomably bad offensive basketball. Taco times have been a rarity of late. The defense kept us in it last year for sure. Again, I'm not dumb and would never expect Boeheim to leave the zone. It won't happen. It's his brand. He's going to stick with it sink or swim. Boeheim being disrespectful to some players is certainly up for debate. We're also dealing with a second probabtion under his watch. Questioning player development seems valid when so many of our players lack basic fundamentals and make the same mental mistakes over and over. Seven or eight players since 2013 aren't even here, can't contribute, or are inconsistent. Next season we may need to plug walkons into key roles to field a roster! Syracuse SHOULD be getting Tyler Lydons and TT's.

Boeheim's 72, laid back, and it's fair to suggest that the program is sliding because of the boss. It happens all over the place in terms of a leader losing momentum, checking out, losing energy, not adapting to the times. The brand seems stale if you ask me. It will be up to Hop to fix it.

They are dumb if they think Boeheim is half-engaged, too old, or mean to his players...yes absolutely. These are dumb statements. Did you watch the game today?

Being a middle of the pack team in the greatest conference ever? Not the end of the world.

The crap about Boeheim being laid back, checking out, losing energy and not adapting is idiotic. It's hard to win in the ACC, especially when you lose 4 key players. Ask Tom Izzo what that's like over in the Little 10.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom