Perspective? Yes, perspective. | Syracusefan.com

Perspective? Yes, perspective.

pearl31

in cahoots
Disclaimer: My intention here is not to sugar coat what was a lousy performance by the team last night. Nor do I pretend that there are not significant areas in which the team must improve.

Having said that, though, I find the spate of "this team is no good" (and the like) posts to be humorous. If that is the case (that our team is no good)—based, apparently, on the game in Hartford last night—then many of the other highly ranked teams, likewise, have no real post-season hopes. To wit:

Indiana-
L 59-64 vs Wisconsin 1/15
L72-74 vs Illinois 2/7

Duke-
L 63-90 vs Miami 1/23

Michigan-
L 53-56 vs Ohio St. 1/13
L 52-75 vs Michigan St. 2/12

Arizona-
L 73-84 vs UCLA 1/24
L 69-77 vs Cal 2/10

Kansas St.-
L 67-73 vs Iowa St. 1/26

Butler-
L 58-75 vs St. Louis 1/31
L 67-71 vs Charlotte 2/13

Kansas-
L 80-85 vs Oklahoma St. 2/2
L 55-62 vs TCU 2/6
L 66-72 vs Oklahoma 2/9

Louisville-
L 64-73 vs Villanova 1/22
L 101-104 vs Notre Dame 2/9

According to the wisdom of many around here, none of these above teams stand a chance to make it past the 1st weekend of the tourney, let alone the final four.
Take a look around, folks. Good teams have bad games.

Those are good examples and it just re-affirms that college basketball is filled with parity. I'm convinced a 16 takes down a 1 in the next five years. There's is so little difference between a #5 team and #45 team. Pitt was not ranked when we played, maybe around 32nd'ish? Yet, Vegas knew they were going to win. Why? They're home, they're good, etc.

Despite what the headlines say, yest was not an "upset". Uconn was playing their last game vs us, at home, and had their stage - they were ready. If we play them on a neutral setting somewhere, we win by 10 or more, easily. However, last night, not so much. That does not mean we cannot, and shouldn't, play better, however.

The NCAA's will come down to just a few things and it starts with our draw.

If we get a B10 in the midwest...not good. If we get a team with poor guards, or young guards, that haven't seen zone - good and we win, regardless if in first round, or final game.

If BT that takes over and is on, CJ goes for 20/10, James hitting shots and the D doing what they did most of the year, we're in all games. If we go 3-15 from three...we're done.

If you look at a mock bracket, Miami is a 1, Az is a 2. What's the difference in those two and then Lou at 3, Ohio St at 4, Nc St is a 7 - they all have the talent of a 1 and could can take out anyone. Illinois is an 11, Oregon a 6. What's the difference? Really, none.

We could lose in the 2nd round, we could win it all...that's what happens with 18-22 year olds.

So, what you're saying is, there really aren't any good teams this year. I agree.

So, what you're saying is, there really aren't any good teams this year. I agree.
Nah. There are oodles of good teams and a handful of really good teams. I'm still convinced we're part of the latter group. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom