Petro twins | Syracusefan.com

Petro twins

Troughin'

Just here for the beer
*Mods- please roll into Papa Petro thread if you see fit*

With only about a month until signings, I'm assuming at this point that the boys are not flipping. Surprising and disappointing as they had the chance to be part of something really special. Especially strange for Dom, who has indicated prior his interest in playing for his dad and with his buddy Spallina. I'm still baffled by the decision and was wondering if anyone could confirm *why* they decided not to come.

*Mods- please roll into Papa Petro thread if you see fit*

With only about a month until signings, I'm assuming at this point that the boys are not flipping. Surprising and disappointing as they had the chance to be part of something really special. Especially strange for Dom, who has indicated prior his interest in playing for his dad and with his buddy Spallina. I'm still baffled by the decision and was wondering if anyone could confirm *why* they decided not to come.
i give long odds you haven't been to chapel hill during the school year.

Perhaps they are men of their word. They promised Breschi they were going to UNC and they’re standing by that. It’s admirable if true.

That’s why Mike Sisselberger didn’t flip to Duke after verbaling to Lehigh. It happens. It’s called character.

Staying with UNC.

Yeah, I'd say the odds are greater of Dad "flipping" than the sons at this point. Not this season, but I can't imagine Petro is long for a coordinator job in CNY (though it seems to be a good gig and I don't see any high profile D1 jobs coming open anytime soon).

Maybe in an effort to keep their commitment, they will enter the portal after the season.

Yeah, I'd say the odds are greater of Dad "flipping" than the sons at this point. Not this season, but I can't imagine Petro is long for a coordinator job in CNY (though it seems to be a good gig and I don't see any high profile D1 jobs coming open anytime soon).
I think there will be about a 3 year period of time where he 100% stays. Would at the very least not be good optics for future jobs to bail after a year or something before the guys you recruited even get their feet wet. He will need some time to prove that the last few years at Hopkins do not define him. No way he replaces a retiring Danowski or Tierney after 2 up and down seasons as cuse DC. If he has the D looking elite in three years then we need to watch out, but any choice he makes then would be fine by me if he actually gets the D back on track.

The school has no money to give to Dom and I'm not sure if they were able to work out an alternate arrangement (or if they even tried to). UNC is a great school and program and there is also no guarantee dad even sticks around at Syracuse more than a few years. I'm sure they'd have liked to play for their dad but there were several other factors that had to be considered first.

And if you do bring in Dom then you're probably losing at least one of Thomson (who you just brought in), Leo, or Deere. Maybe you make that trade but the Orange are just fine where they're at now.

The school has no money to give to Dom and I'm not sure if they were able to work out an alternate arrangement (or if they even tried to). UNC is a great school and program and there is also no guarantee dad even sticks around at Syracuse more than a few years. I'm sure they'd have liked to play for their dad but there were several other factors that had to be considered first.

And if you do bring in Dom then you're probably losing at least one of Thomson (who you just brought in), Leo, or Deere. Maybe you make that trade but the Orange are just fine where they're at now.
How long must you be an employee to get the tuition waiver?

In the Podcast that Petro did with Carc right after this time at Hopkins ended, he mentioned coaching his sons was something he wanted to do at his next employment stop. It is too bad they couldn't figure it out. Had they been a year younger, hard to see at least Dom not wanting to play for the Orange after his dad gets hired. They were on his "Top Four" when he made his decision.

To Docthah's point, it would have made me feel more secure about Petro staying around if the twins were on board, but lots to work through. This season should be interesting on the defensive side of the ball.

As nyclax pointed out, Syracuse was able to flip both Thomson and Figiurias, both four stars (Thomson was a "high" four star) at attack/middie and defense, and the Petro twins came in as a Five and a Three star, same positions. Maybe it all evens out?