Class of 2023 - PF Joseph "JP" Estrella (ME / Brewster) Offered | Page 59 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 PF Joseph "JP" Estrella (ME / Brewster) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of these really ARE starting to feel lost because of the coaching situation. Results are surely a factor too but I'm sure these guys are capable of recognizing an odd down year. A down year or two doesn't lead to a down decade for the other big programs though, and that's where we seem to be struggling. The plan to get back to the top is more of the same, and like it or not, Boeheim is very much a dinosaur in a lot of these young guys' eyes.

A lot of these really ARE starting to feel lost because of the coaching situation. Results are surely a factor too but I'm sure these guys are capable of recognizing an odd down year. A down year or two doesn't lead to a down decade for the other big programs though, and that's where we seem to be struggling. The plan to get back to the top is more of the same, and like it or not, Boeheim is very much a dinosaur in a lot of these young guys' eyes.
Well put instead of crushing a legend who in my eyes built this program we will have to wait till he see the game has passed he by it hard for some to do

Don’t buy it. Many kids mention the opportunity to play for a HOF coach. And kids are wondering if he’ll be their coach. If they didn’t want to play for a dinosaur they wouldn’t care if he’d be here for them.

Well put instead of crushing a legend who in my eyes built this program we will have to wait till he see the game has passed he by it hard for some to do
I guess I kind of understand what you're trying to say with all the typos and lack of punctuation marks. I've been really hard on Boeheim but when I look at it from a different perspective, I can see how it's hard to walk away. Retiring from something you love to do is difficult - there is accepting that a long career is over, for some, they don't see a different new exciting stage of life, but the end or near end of life and a whole host of other things that comes with aging and life changes. As hard as it is, this is where the AD must step in and pull the plug. Most of us will encounter this situation in our work life if we hold on too long when it is time to go.

So for everyone that is complaining about NIL and throwing money at recruits blah blah, if the roles were reversed and SU got kids because they had a competitive advantage with NIL and got their recruits money, would everyone say “this is wrong we shouldn’t be doing this”? NO CHANCE. Let’s stop fooling ourselves and stop complaining
Of course. Im just jealous. If the whole world is going to abuse NIL I wish we had the resources to do the same, 100%

Question regarding NIL. The 400k that JP is receiving, is it for one year, a one time payment or can it increase/decrease each year. If it is not a one time payment, this could be a gold mine for any kid who plays from 2 to 4 years, especially if he is a borderline or non NBA talent. For some, NIL payments could be the biggest payday that a professional career won't ever match. If a 3 or 4 star talent can score a decent amount of NIL money to buy a condo or home 50% down or fully, he should jump at that opportunity.

Question regarding NIL. The 400k that JP is receiving, is it for one year, a one time payment or can it increase/decrease each year. If it is not a one time payment, this could be a gold mine for any kid who plays from 2 to 4 years, especially if he is a borderline or non NBA talent. For some, NIL payments could be the biggest payday that a professional career won't ever match. If a 3 or 4 star talent can score a decent amount of NIL money to buy a condo or home 50% down or fully, he should jump at that opportunity.
I think it's per year. Who would say no to that? In the very near future, unless the NCAA makes immediate changes, programs that refuse to do that won't be able to compete.

Don’t buy it. Many kids mention the opportunity to play for a HOF coach. And kids are wondering if he’ll be their coach. If they didn’t want to play for a dinosaur they wouldn’t care if he’d be here for them.
Are the recruits who want to play for a HOF coach the same kids wondering if he'll be around for them? Could be two population subsets. And I think more importantly, no recruit wants to go through a coaching change during their four years - regardless of who is coaching. There's usually a mass exodus and then a losing season during the interregnum.

Are the recruits who want to play for a HOF coach the same kids wondering if he'll be around for them? Could be two population subsets. And I think more importantly, no recruit wants to go through a coaching change during their four years - regardless of who is coaching. There's usually a mass exodus and then a losing season during the interregnum.
Valid points but do top 100 kids even expect to be at the same school for four years. How about top 250 kids? What is the mindset these days? Do they all expect to leave early to go pro? Or, conversely, do they expect to transfer if things aren't hunky dory with life.

I think it's per year. Who would say no to that? In the very near future, unless the NCAA makes immediate changes, programs that refuse to do that won't be able to compete.
Well, if it is per year and JP can play well enough to maintain at a minimum 400k for each of his 4 years, it's a no brainer. Free 4 year education plus 1.6M. If we don't get on board with NIL we will be relegated to non ranked players and 2 to 3 star guys.

One of the current national powers is a private school located in Spokane, Washington. You guys need to open your eyes and stop blaming NIL.
USA VISA rules currently prevent any international college player from getting NIL money. It will be interesting to see how colleges who depend on international connections handle this.

USA VISA rules currently prevent any international college player from getting NIL money. It will be interesting to see how colleges who depend on international connections handle this.
Figures UK would find a shady loophole to this rule. Only applies within US and its Territories? Didn't they pay one of their international players, something like $600K to sign autographs or something, in the Bahamas?

Missed the background. Why didn’t we try?
Total speculation on my part. From what I have read he recently has moved up the recruiting rankings. (he blew up) I am guessing we had players ranked higher that we pursued and lost out on. Too late to the party now. He is either a 3 or 4 in our system and if he doesn't project to beat out our recent recruits, we may prefer to space our recruits or take transfers to fill in immediate needs.

Figures UK would find a shady loophole to this rule. Only applies within US and its Territories? Didn't they pay one of their international players, something like $600K to sign autographs or something, in the Bahamas?

Yep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors