PG Stability | Syracusefan.com

PG Stability

Nick44

All Conference
Its been the Achilles heal of this program for the last 10 years. It's been absent from this program for too long and it most showed this season. We need to get back to finding the four year players like the Jason Harts, Allen Griffins, GMac's, etc. These types of players built this program. The 5-star players are great but guys like Ennis/MCW were gone in a flash and left this program scrambling for inexperienced replacements. It finally caught up with us this season.

Frank Howard wasnt a 5 star recruit and look how well that turned out.

Ennis ha no business leaving. He should have stayed

Its been the Achilles heal of this program for the last 10 years. It's been absent from this program for too long and it most showed this season. We need to get back to finding the four year players like the Jason Harts, Allen Griffins, GMac's, etc. These types of players built this program. The 5-star players are great but guys like Ennis/MCW were gone in a flash and left this program scrambling for inexperienced replacements. It finally caught up with us this season.

There is a fine line between the two things, we can have both. We can get good point guards and get another one to come in, it doesn't have to be one or another. We struck out with Kaleb but I think he was a combo guard coming out of HS like Frank (and MCW).

Our problem is point guard but it's also who we've brought in, we've literally recruited one strictly point guard since Johnny Flynn. Let that sink in.

It seems to me it would make sense to try to recruit a four-year point guard every three or four years. That way we have some stability at that position, even if it's a lackluster starter-caliber guy for three of the years. Basically only one out of the four years should it keep a highly regarded one-and-done PG from coming here, anyway, and that year we'll have a fourth year senior running the show.

We can pursue the one-and-dones for our other scholarships, but at least that gives us some stability at the 1, which is so important.

Absent for 10 years? Johns Flynn, MCW,Ennis were gone too fast I agree but scoop stuck around and was good not great and gbinije was good last season but I agree I would love a 4 year student also but I can't agree we haven't had any great point guard play in a decade.

A lot of these guys were projected to hang around for more than a year or two but turned out to be better than many thought. On the one hand it's superb recruiting (vs losing out on the likes of Quade) on somewhat under the radar guys though finding guys like Washington seems to be is a great hedge to provide some continuity.

Talent > Stability

Though we have had neither

We need a legit PG, one that can run an offense, make the easy passes and finish.

A lot of these guys were projected to hang around for more than a year or two but turned out to be better than many thought. On the one hand it's superb recruiting (vs losing out on the likes of Quade) on somewhat under the radar guys though finding guys like Washington seems to be is a great hedge to provide some continuity.

Howard and Joseph were projected to be here longer than a year too.

The zone has taken on top level importance in our program over the last ten years to the detriment of ball handling.

We have gambled with early selection of lengthy point guards and we have done quite well actually. MCW et. all
Not recently though!

IMO Howard was a bust from day one, and that wasn't recognized.

I do think the emphasis on length on top of the zone is why we aren't getting pure point guards. We only got the short Flynn because he was Harris's teammate.

Could this length emphasis be partially why we have lost so many one and dones? When you recruit lengthy athletes and they transition well to college, they are more likely to get NBA interest quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom