Phew...switching back to Time Warner | Syracusefan.com

Phew...switching back to Time Warner

SkanSU

Starter
Went with FIOS last year after TW jacked my rates up to astronomical levels. Well ... welcome FIOS. One year contract over and I get billed $175.00/mo... and that's w/o telephone coverage!!
TW has some great deals ... $69/mo with digital w/ 2 year contract. DVR included

Has anyone else experienced the same pain and aggravation? I just want my games when they are on (sigh)

Call up ... tell them you are switching to cable... watch them slash prices to keep you. TW blows. I would not take their service for free

DirecTV for life...

Call up ... tell them you are switching to cable... watch them slash prices to keep you. TW blows. I would not take their service for free

DirecTV for life...

Agree. I could not live without my DTV and it's sports packages.

Went with FIOS last year after TW jacked my rates up to astronomical levels. Well ... welcome FIOS. One year contract over and I get billed $175.00/mo... and that's w/o telephone coverage!!
TW has some great deals ... $69/mo with digital w/ 2 year contract. DVR included

Has anyone else experienced the same pain and aggravation? I just want my games when they are on (sigh)

I'm paying $179 to Verizon FIOS for Internet phone, TV w/ Showtime, HBO and 2 DVRs, mid-tier number of TV stations, mid-speed Internet (20 GB). I was paying $225 for fewer channels and slower Internet w/ Time Warner, plus the rates went up literally $2 or 3 every month. And this was almost 2 years ago, now. I used to really hate those creeping price increases. (Internet phone is way more reliable with FIOS; almost never goes out - I used to lose TW phone service about every 6 weeks on average, for about half a day at a time.)

I'm paying $179 to Verizon FIOS for Internet phone, TV w/ Showtime, HBO and 2 DVRs, mid-tier number of TV stations, mid-speed Internet (20 GB). I was paying $225 for fewer channels and slower Internet w/ Time Warner, plus the rates went up literally $2 or 3 every month. And this was almost 2 years ago, now. I used to really hate those creeping price increases. (Internet phone is way more reliable with FIOS; almost never goes out - I used to lose TW phone service about every 6 weeks on average, for about half a day at a time.)
Nice deal. But I don't even have telephone. I liked FIOS. Just don't like the monthly bill. And I agree with the creeping price increases that's why went with FIOS. But TW has 2 year contract with no price increases for 2 years (well, maximum of $5/year). But with FIOS my bill actually increased w/o the telephone

I'm fine with Time Warner. The main thing I don't like is no NFL Network. The occasional inconveniences don't bother me much. I still remember having 13 channels on a square box as a kid.

im lucky right now as im only paying 105 a month for 1 hd/dvr box,phone and internet on TW. i know that will jump once my year contract is over. Sadly it doesnt look like fios is coming to eastwood anytime soon.

I'm fine with Time Warner. The main thing I don't like is no NFL Network. The occasional inconveniences don't bother me much. I still remember having 13 channels on a square box as a kid.
I agree. I am fine with TW (in Rochester). I really like their service (no joke!). Every time I had a problem they were able to fix it in a timely manner. I've had issues with my computer/RR and when I call TW, they were able to help me in minutes cheerfully and all. I've gone in and asked for lengths of cable for my various 6 TV's and/or the VCR/DVDs hooked up and all they say is howmuch do you want. No charge, no discussion or anything. HD cables, free. My remote stops working walk into their local store and they swap me a new one. Same if my box acts up. Can't say that I have heard the same for Direct TV or Dish.

Ha, I can remember when we had 2 stations in Syracuse.

Then there was a big hoo-rah when a new station was being added to the lineup, channel 9 WNYS in lo-def.

Then public TV gave us our 4th channel on the UHF dial WCNY.

On a good night we could pull in a snowy piture from Utica on channel 2. Every once in a while another UHF channel would drift in.

When we moved to higher ground, we could get Channel 13 in Kingston, Ontario. Hockey night in Canada was my favorite show. That's when the NHL had six teams and I could name all the players. We were so starved for sports broadcasts back then that curling soon became a favorite to watch.

Down the road Sunday morning's were reserved for Roller Derby with Joannie Weston, the Blond Bombshell.

Back then there was such a dearth of live sports that we turned to PBA bowling and midget wrestling to satisfy our lust for sports when there was nothing else.

Sorry Nirvanna for digressing but when you said 13 channels it struck a funny bone with me.

Ha, I can remember when we had 2 stations in Syracuse.

Then there was a big hoo-rah when a new station was being added to the lineup, channel 9 WNYS in lo-def.

Then public TV gave us our 4th channel on the UHF dial WCNY.

On a good night we could pull in a snowy piture from Utica on channel 2. Every once in a while another UHF channel would drift in.

When we moved to higher ground, we could get Channel 13 in Kingston, Ontario. Hockey night in Canada was my favorite show. That's when the NHL had six teams and I could name all the players. We were so starved for sports broadcasts back then that curling soon became a favorite to watch.

Down the road Sunday morning's were reserved for Roller Derby with Joannie Weston, the Blond Bombshell.

Back then there was such a dearth of live sports that we turned to PBA bowling and midget wrestling to satisfy our lust for sports when there was nothing else.

Sorry Nirvanna for digressing but when you said 13 channels it struck a funny bone with me.
How many of your channels had COLOR programs? I can remember going to my grandparents house to watch Ponderossa because it was in color and we didn't have a color set. HD? yeah right.

All of mine were in color, well not exactly. We sent away for something which was supposed to make a black & white set turn into a color set. It was a multi-color film of plastic that would adhere to the screen. That combined with my uncle's TV magnifier our 13" set became 2 or 3 inches larger. It was no wonder, everyone wanted to watch the big game with us, lol.

All of mine were in color, well not exactly. We sent away for something which was supposed to make a black & white set turn into a color set. It was a multi-color film of plastic that would adhere to the screen. That combined with my uncle's TV magnifier our 13" set became 2 or 3 inches larger. It was no wonder, everyone wanted to watch the big game with us, lol.
Great old memories. But you forgot wrestling with Gorgeous George and others along with the boxing sponsored by Gillette. You are right about being starved for sports.
And don't forget the test pattern with the Indian Chief in the middle that you looked at for a few minutes until the programming came on. Even that had some kind of weird fascination in the early years of TV.

I remember the cabinet sized TV which weighed about 300 pounds in the 70's when I was a wee lad. Once you brought it home it stayed where I was for a while because it was huge.

Great old memories. But you forgot wrestling with Gorgeous George and others along with the boxing sponsored by Gillette. You are right about being starved for sports.
And don't forget the test pattern with the Indian Chief in the middle that you looked at for a few minutes until the programming came on. Even that had some kind of weird fascination in the early years of TV.
Oh no, I remember Gorgeous George he used to give the ladies Golden Bobby Pins for souviners. How about Bobo Brazil with the famous Coco-butt or Killer Kowalski, Dick The Bruiser, Abdullah the Butcher and the Sheik. Lady wrestler's were interesting too.

I used to live for the Friday Night Fights especially when Carman Basillio was fighting.

Oh no, I remember Gorgeous George he used to give the ladies Golden Bobby Pins for souviners. How about Bobo Brazil with the famous Coco-butt or Killer Kowalski, Dick The Bruiser, Abdullah the Butcher and the Sheik. Lady wrestler's were interesting too.

I used to live for the Friday Night Fights especially when Carman Basillio was fighting.

You left out Sgt. Slaughter and Bob "Crazy eyes" Backlund (otherwise known as guys who wrestled before Vince started the mandatory juicing protocol)

I love it when a thread takes these kinds of unexpected turns.

Does anyone remember the first cable "boxes" that came out - when i was a kid they gave us a box with two buttons on it. The red button turned on HBO, the black button was to go back to the other 3 channels...evenutally we upgraded to the cable box that had 13 channels on it.

You left out Sgt. Slaughter and Bob "Crazy eyes" Backlund (otherwise known as guys who wrestled before Vince started the mandatory juicing protocol)
Those aren't so old, Sgt Slaughter is still with the WWE. Or was about a year ago.

Push_button_cable_box.jpg

I love it when a thread takes these kinds of unexpected turns.

Does anyone remember the first cable "boxes" that came out - when i was a kid they gave us a box with two buttons on it. The red button turned on HBO, the black button was to go back to the other 3 channels...evenutally we upgraded to the cable box that had 13 channels on it.

We must have had the fancy cable box, 13 buttons but had a switch to move between the top, middle and bottom giving you 39 channels.

Wow you had about 4 times the choice I had as a kid: Ch 3, 5,9 and 24(if you count that crap)...add in a snowy Ch 20 outta Utica around 1971.

Wow you had about 4 times the choice I had as a kid: Ch 3, 5,9 and 24(if you count that crap)...add in a snowy Ch 20 outta Utica around 1971.

Could you get 16 out of Watertown?

Could you get 16 out of Watertown?
It wasn't around...I think Watertown only had Ch 7 when I was a kid. They added Ch 50 maybe 10 years ago. Fun Fact: Syracuse's Ch 9's newcast is simulcasted to Watertown Ch 50 as their local news. Not sure when Ch 16 (PBS) was added...but I hardly watch PBS.

I'm loving HD TV Broadcasts now...they either come in or they don't...when they do you get crystal clear TV (unlike snowy pics of the past)...My summer cottage is 85 miles from the Towers of Pompey and I get Channel 3, 24, + 68 all the time, Ch 5 and 43 most of the time and CH 9 some of the time. This summer I'm going to reposition my antenna and I think it will improve my reception a ton (a large tree was cut down). Also, it is kinda neat I get Buffalo crystal clear (160 miles) occasionally during the morning and evening.

Also, it is kinda neat I get Buffalo crystal clear (160 miles) occasionally during the morning and evening.

No interference across the lake. No pesky hills and buildings to get in the way.

I am hoping that All4SU can weigh in on this thread at some point and tell us stories about moving pictures accompanied by piano and the day his Dad bought the first radio in the neighborhood.

eiccat20p022-3.jpg

IM.0387_zl.jpg

First Syracuse Radio Stations:

WSYR-WMAC AM 570 was the first Syracuse radio station on the air in 1922
WFBL AM 1390 was second in 1924
WOLF AM 1490 began broadcasting in 1940
WAGE AM 620 began in 1941
WNDR began broadcasting in Syracuse, New York on a frequency of 1260 kilocycles in the month of August of 1946

1934-b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom