Phil Steele says Beef | Syracusefan.com

Phil Steele says Beef

I expect a little better than #6. On the other hand i wouldn't mind smacking the S# out of a possible new BE member that is suppose to be an upgrade from us from the BE looked overs.

Sign me up.

The important thing is another .500 0r better record, another bowl appearance, etc. to continue to sell the program on the recruiting trail.

Sign me up.

The important thing is another .500 0r better record, another bowl appearance, etc. to continue to sell the program on the recruiting trail.

Really? I know we're a fortunate 4-2, but given our remaining schedule, I think it's early to sign up for the desperation bowl. That time may come, because it's obviously better to be in this game than to be in no game (and miss those extra practices, be known as one of the few who are bowl free).

Just the thought of playing a CUSA in a bowl game seems so uninteresting to me at this point.

Really? I know we're a fortunate 4-2, but given our remaining schedule, I think it's early to sign up for the desperation bowl. That time may come, because it's obviously better to be in this game than to be in no game (and miss those extra practices, be known as one of the few who are bowl free).

Just the thought of playing a CUSA in a bowl game seems so uninteresting to me at this point.

Honestly--who cares about interesting? We're in the midst of a significant rebuild, and I'm thinking about what going to a second consecutive bowl [no matter how minor] would mean for recruiting.

I wouldn't read too much into my post above, Chip. Believe me, I'd love to go to a better, more prominent bowl. But if I had to commit today for us guaranteed qualifying, when 2 more victories needed to get there are no guarantee--yeah, I'd sign up for a 6/6 bowl game appearance.

That doesn't mean that I'm not hopeful that we get to 7 wins, 8, or 9 wins. And if we straighten some things out on offense, we could and should get there. But our talent level is still such that we can lose and win any game on the schedule.

Honestly--who cares about interesting? We're in the midst of a significant rebuild, and I'm thinking about what going to a second consecutive bowl [no matter how minor] would mean for recruiting.

I wouldn't read too much into my post above, Chip. Believe me, I'd love to go to a better, more prominent bowl. But if I had to commit today for us guaranteed qualifying, when 2 more victories needed to get there are no guarantee--yeah, I'd sign up for a 6/6 bowl game appearance.

That doesn't mean that I'm not hopeful that we get to 7 wins, 8, or 9 wins. And if we straighten some things out on offense, we could and should get there. But our talent level is still such that we can lose and win any game on the schedule.

I think we're basically saying the same thing. Minimum expectation, Beef bowl, have to get 6 wins and play somewhere for game 13. But as to your first sentence, I still care about interesting. Playing a CUSA in a bowl game is just blah. I like playing teams from real conferences in bowl games. Last year was interesting. All of the league's other bowl games (I think) play interesting conference teams. CFU or ECU or some other future Big East applicant? Yeah, I'll watch. But not something one really looks forward to, even in the midst of a rebuild. Maybe I'd be less picky if we hadn't come off a better bowl matchup last year, and if our last 6 games were against something better than 1 good, 1 might be ok, 4 bad teams.