Pinstripe Bowl a playoff bowl in the future? | Syracusefan.com

Pinstripe Bowl a playoff bowl in the future?

I think the Pinstripe Bowl as a possible playoff site is unlikely because of Southern objection to a Northeast winter site that could affect Southern teams. While I would love it as it would be the only bowl site above the Mason-Dixon Line that seems committed to evaluating itself and New York City is a destination city especially at the New Year's Day time each year. If the Steinbrenners are serious they could make a bid to host the National Title and make a presentation, but I doubt the playoff committee is going to give the NC to anywhere but the 6 playoff sites or Tampa, Rose Bowl, Houston. If the Pinstripe continues growing then maybe in 10 years it can grow like the Fiesta Bowl did from a non-major bowl into one of the big bowls.

I think the Pinstripe Bowl as a possible playoff site is unlikely because of Southern objection to a Northeast winter site that could affect Southern teams. While I would love it as it would be the only bowl site above the Mason-Dixon Line that seems committed to evaluating itself and New York City is a destination city especially at the New Year's Day time each year. If the Steinbrenners are serious they could make a bid to host the National Title and make a presentation, but I doubt the playoff committee is going to give the NC to anywhere but the 6 playoff sites or Tampa, Rose Bowl, Houston. If the Pinstripe continues growing then maybe in 10 years it can grow like the Fiesta Bowl did from a non-major bowl into one of the big bowls.
Wussies.

If playoffs are expanded to 8 or 16, playing regional games makes sense. Also, the southern oanzies must be careful in that they can brag all they like but whining about playing in NYC in December undercuts ALL of their arguments about being the best. If these kids want to play in the NFL thy had best play some in the north because the NFL plays extensively in the north.

while i think its a grand idea, and the Yankees certainly have the $$ and muscle to pull it off, i dont think it works. if there is a playoff in the north, it would HAVE to be at Giants Stadium.

the sightlines would make it too undesirable for big sponsorship to get behind it. a FOOTBALL playoff game should be played in a FOOTBALL stadium.

the Pinstripe Bowl should be happy to rise to the top of the tier 2 bowls and keep its quaint uniqueness.

Oh Lord

the Pinstripe Bowl should be happy to rise to the top of the tier 2 bowls and keep its quaint uniqueness.

Completely agree with this sentiment.

while i think its a grand idea, and the Yankees certainly have the $$ and muscle to pull it off, i dont think it works. if there is a playoff in the north, it would HAVE to be at Giants Stadium.

the sightlines would make it too undesirable for big sponsorship to get behind it. a FOOTBALL playoff game should be played in a FOOTBALL stadium.

Oh Lord

Agree with this. The Bowl was great, but not the field/seating.

I agree that I prefer a football stadium and I believe Met Life is a more likely candidate. I still believe that if playoffs are expanded that the first round or two will be set up as regional games. Similar to lacrosse or baseball. Home stadiums may be used for higher seeds. But I still like the idea of incorporating bowls for the initial round(s) if possible.

I agree that I prefer a football stadium and I believe Met Life is a more likely candidate. I still believe that if playoffs are expanded that the first round or two will be set up as regional games. Similar to lacrosse or baseball. Home stadiums may be used for higher seeds. But I still like the idea of incorporating bowls for the initial round(s) if possible.
If it expands to 8 teams they will just divide the 6 playoff bowls now and use the 4 of them for the quarterfinals, and then have a doubleheader at 1 bowl and the championship at the other.
5 big conferences automatic bids, 3 atlarge spots
For example based on last year
Orange Bowl 1 seed Notre Dame vs. 8 seed Wisconsin
Sugar Bowl 2 seed Alabama vs. 7 seed Florida State
Fiesta Bowl 3 seed Florida vs. 6 seed Kansas State
Rose Bowl 4 seed Stanford vs. 5 seed Georgia

Doubleheader in Cotton Bowl the next week between the 4 winners

Championship game in Atlanta Chick-Fil-A Bowl.

Rotate the next year.

If it expands to 8 teams they will just divide the 6 playoff bowls now and use the 4 of them for the quarterfinals, and then have a doubleheader at 1 bowl and the championship at the other.

Rotate the next year.
so Winter is not Coming??

damn, i really need a scorecard to figure out the players, the teams and their locations. :noidea:

Oh Lord

55k baseball stadium in New York in January. Good luck with that one.

Rotate the next year.

Don't see doubleheader concept. Hell, baseball has true DH's about every blue moon.

Don't see doubleheader concept. Hell, baseball has true DH's about every blue moon.
Then just add a 7th bowl which IMO would come from Alamo Bowl in San Antonio, Holiday Bowl in San Diego, Captial One Bowl in Orlando, Belk Bowl in Charlotte, Outback Bowl in Tampa, or Pinstripe Bowl in New York.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom