Pittsburgh offerings | Syracusefan.com

Pittsburgh offerings

GooseMutt

All Conference
I have been researching and reading about Golden And was wondering why he had selected Pittsburgh initially. This led me to wonder about Pitts basketball facilities. The Petersen Events center is a big
modern looking glass building built in 2000 and the inside holds about 12,000 fans. From the pictures, I don’t see concessions etc but court looks blah .

Then I saw their locker room. It is simple but pretty cool. Plenty of space but no frills in photo like pool table, leather recliners etc. the coolest thing are the players pictures above eachof their lockers. I would love that feature when we redo ours. Not adept enough link it here but if you’re bored check it out.

I have been researching and reading about Golden And was wondering why he had selected Pittsburgh initially. This led me to wonder about Pitts basketball facilities. The Petersen Events center is a big
modern looking glass building built in 2000 and the inside holds about 12,000 fans. From the pictures, I don’t see concessions etc but court looks blah .

Then I saw their locker room. It is simple but pretty cool. Plenty of space but no frills in photo like pool table, leather recliners etc. the coolest thing are the players pictures above eachof their lockers. I would love that feature when we redo ours. Not adept enough link it here but if you’re bored check it out.
It's not like the kid is Bazley. Pitt is in the ACC and they are going to get some good players.

It's not like the kid is Bazley. Pitt is in the ACC and they are going to get some good players.
Patterson and Adams were a while back (both very good players under Dixon). Artis was the one that killed us more recently (very good player). Not sure what lured him to Pitt but if you put him on SU's roster, we wouldn't have had that losing streak against them.

Pitt is an ACC program in one of the bigger Northeast cities not that far from most of the midwest/south. No NBA team despite the 3 other leagues having teams. They should be able to recruit better than they do.

But that program was a great fit for the Big East and isn't capable of competing with the top of the ACC. Might be them and not Villanova on top of that conference right now if they were still in it and the team that left all left. Sick of playing them so much in football and pretty much never seeing Miami or VT. 2 good games against both the last two years it friggen sucks its another 4-5 years until we play either of them again.

8C11C90A-9CD0-477C-BCF6-9315F6DEEBAF.jpeg

It’s a sweet venue. Been there twice for road Cuse games. One was GMac’s senior year. Just a medium sized modern box. Great seats everywhere. I do kind of like the floor level loges/boxes. With Dixon good teams the place was rocking up there with Duke, KU, Gallagher (Ok St), Breslin, etc.

It’s a sweet venue. Been there twice for road Cuse games. One was GMac’s senior year. Just a medium sized modern box. Great seats everywhere. I do kind of like the floor level loges/boxes. With Dixon good teams the place was rocking up there with Duke, KU, Gallagher (Ok St), Breslin, etc.
But the floor level loges look weird, all due respect to your observation (I haven’t been there). I’m thinking that big donors would want to be higher and have a better viewshed.

You sure get around! Have you heard/know the status of our locker room upgrade? They sure have talked about it a few years now

But the floor level loges look weird, all due respect to your observation (I haven’t been there). I’m thinking that big donors would want to be higher and have a better viewshed.

Yeah some people like them or hate them. Kind of like sour/barrel aged beers. I think they are raised a tiny bit from floor level. Not sure.

You sure get around! Have you heard/know the status of our locker room upgrade? They sure have talked about it a few years now

Haven’t been to Phog or Duke but from what everyone says and what it appears like on TV; it must be fantastic. I went to Gallagher once when I was in the area back when Gottlieb and that stud Desmond Mason was there. They were playing Iowa St and it was freaking INSANE in there.

No idea re: locker room. I’m not connected at all with that sort of stuff.

Haven’t been to Phog or Duke but from what everyone says and what it appears like on TV; it must be fantastic. I went to Gallagher once when I was in the area back when Gottlieb and that stud Desmond Mason was there. They were playing Iowa St and it was freaking INSANE in there.

That’s fun stuff

Phog Allen is the most cramped uncomfortable arena I have ever been too. It has the capacity of an NBA arena but its the size of the lower bowl of an NBA arena. Nowhere packs that many people in close to the court. And I only watched half the game I showed up at halftime because I was at Chili's watching us go to OT with NC State in the Gillon game it was brutal.

Rupp for example might only have 6k more seats but if feels 10x bigger than Phog its huge and feels bigger than an NBA arena despite no luxury boxes. Duke is a high school gym with a lame museum slurping Duke basketball attached to it thats the same size as the dang arena. Its cool though and worth going I'd like to return in decent seats. I've been to a lot McCarthur Court is the arena I really wish I was able to catch a game at before it closed though its still there for volleyball and other stuff and MKA is extremely nice. Hoping I can swing a trip to Assembly Hall whenever we get sent there in the Big Ten ACC challenge won't go there if we aren't playing. Need to hit the Dean Dome too this should be a good year to watch us play @ UNC I think we will win that game with everyone back should have taken them down in the Dome this year.

Phog Allen is the most cramped uncomfortable arena I have ever been too. It has the capacity of an NBA arena but its the size of the lower bowl of an NBA arena. Nowhere packs that many people in close to the court. And I only watched half the game I showed up at halftime because I was at Chili's watching us go to OT with NC State in the Gillon game it was brutal.

Rupp for example might only have 6k more seats but if feels 10x bigger than Phog its huge and feels bigger than an NBA arena despite no luxury boxes. Duke is a high school gym with a lame museum slurping Duke basketball attached to it thats the same size as the dang arena. Its cool though and worth going I'd like to return in decent seats. I've been to a lot McCarthur Court is the arena I really wish I was able to catch a game at before it closed though its still there for volleyball and other stuff and MKA is extremely nice. Hoping I can swing a trip to Assembly Hall whenever we get sent there in the Big Ten ACC challenge won't go there if we aren't playing. Need to hit the Dean Dome too this should be a good year to watch us play @ UNC I think we will win that game with everyone back should have taken them down in the Dome this year.

I’d like to get to Phog though. Don’t care about the cramped factor since it is what it is with some of those older venues. The old Aud in Buffalo and old Boston Garden was rough too but still. Yeah, Assembly Hall would be cool. Unique building. Walked in there once when I was visiting IU as I almost went there for undergrad. We’ll see re: UNC. LOVE their incoming frosh. Roy kills the zone down there with them. But, yeah, Dean Dome is on my list too. A buddy just moved to Charlotte so I may have to make the rounds down there soon. Been in Rupp as well. Ugly big box. Very drab. It’s in downtown Lexington as opposed to an on campus venue so it gets dinged a few points for me. But, nothing beats that Gallagher Arena at Oklahoma St from what I have experienced in person.

Yeah some people like them or hate them. Kind of like sour/barrel aged beers. I think they are raised a tiny bit from floor level. Not sure.
Reminds me of Gladiator .. the lion's and the Christians.

Reminds me of Gladiator .. the lion's and the Christians.

Haha. Totally. I think in Jerry’s World they have those behind the endzones and in the corners. Gotta be more for social event type of stuff and less game viewing I would think.

I’d like to get to Phog though. Don’t care about the cramped factor since it is what it is with some of those older venues. The old Aud in Buffalo and old Boston Garden was rough too but still. Yeah, Assembly Hall would be cool. Unique building. Walked in there once when I was visiting IU as I almost went there for undergrad. We’ll see re: UNC. LOVE their incoming frosh. Roy kills the zone down there with them. But, yeah, Dean Dome is on my list too. A buddy just moved to Charlotte so I may have to make the rounds down there soon. Been in Rupp as well. Ugly big box. Very drab. It’s in downtown Lexington as opposed to an on campus venue so it gets dinged a few points for me. But, nothing beats that Gallagher Arena at Oklahoma St from what I have experienced in person.

I've been to every game SU has played at the Dean Dome. Arena is kinda meh... the pre-game show is flatout amazing though. The fans that I have been exposed to have all been arrogant no-nothing know-it-alls. A huge collection of jacks. And every SU/UNC game in the Dean Dome has been basically the exact same game - we play them tight for 36 minutes, then our guys are completely gassed and UNC throttles us for the final 4 minutes and wins by 10+ points.

I've been to every game SU has played at the Dean Dome. Arena is kinda meh... the pre-game show is flatout amazing though. The fans that I have been exposed to have all been arrogant no-nothing know-it-alls. A huge collection of jack s. And every SU/UNC game in the Dean Dome has been basically the exact same game - we play them tight for 36 minutes, then our guys are completely gassed and UNC throttles us for the final 4 minutes and wins by 10+ points.

Interesting. On TV Dean Dome appears to me how Rupp is. Just a “meh” kind of drab box. We play them tight but always an uphill battle it felt all game, IMO. There was one Rak and Gbinjie game I think where I thought we truly had a chance. But then, like you said, they got gassed and the big guys wore Rak out.

Dang I have no desire to visit Stillwater but its good to know that venue is special always looked cool on TV. I think the Thunder have hurt OU/OSU fan interest a lot and the crowds aren't what they were before Oklahoma got an NBA team though OSU doesn't fill that place anymore. Downtown Lexington is a good place to get hard to find bourbon. But I remember getting an amazing free parking spot a block or two from the arena and being terrified my car would get broken into cause there were dudes who looked up to no good eyeing me up as I parked. Almost didn't take the spot since my clubs were in the car.

And on that note I hope there isn't snow on the ground when we play UNC this year little January golf would be nice to go with the game. There was about a foot on the ground when I went to see us play @ Cameron major let down should have gone a year earlier or later for the jacket game or our win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom