Pittsburgh - Virginia Game Comments | Syracusefan.com

Pittsburgh - Virginia Game Comments

TheGov3304

Scout Team
I was able to attend the Pittsburgh - Virginia game last night, and it was a good one. Jamel Artis shot the heck out of the ball from 3, making tough shot after tough shot. Interestingly, he could routinely make step back 3s, but couldn't consistently capitalize at the foul line. Michael Young also struggled at the line (Usually reliable).

We all know the talent of Artis and Young, but two guys that I was really impressed with were Sheldon Jeter and Cameron Johnson. Jeter shot the ball very well last night, with two crucial 3s in overtime for Pitt. Additionally, the ball looked pure coming out of Johnson's hands and we will definitely need to find him at all times.

Outside of Artis, Young, Jeter, and Johnson I am not too impressed with Pitt. They do not have much depth which is similar to us. Another thing I will say about Pitt is they at times get very careless with the ball. Artis tries to dribble too much and gets lazy with his passes and Young dribbled out of bounds trying to go between his legs at least twice. We need to capitalize on these turnovers to be in the best position to win.

Going to be a dog fight that's for sure, but this team is beatable.

They don't play defense like they did under Dixon. That's for sure. We had more problems scoring on them than anything.

They don't play defense like they did under Dixon. That's for sure. We had more problems scoring on them than anything.

No question about that, I would say that they are more free-flowing offensively under Stallings. They play a lot of 1 on 1 isolation ball with Young and Artis creating shots for themselves. They do not have a true point guard like in the past. They are a wing/forward heavy team for sure.

I was able to attend the Pittsburgh - Virginia game last night, and it was a good one. Jamel Artis shot the heck out of the ball from 3, making tough shot after tough shot. Interestingly, he could routinely make step back 3s, but couldn't consistently capitalize at the foul line. Michael Young also struggled at the line (Usually reliable).

We all know the talent of Artis and Young, but two guys that I was really impressed with were Sheldon Jeter and Cameron Johnson. Jeter shot the ball very well last night, with two crucial 3s in overtime for Pitt. Additionally, the ball looked pure coming out of Johnson's hands and we will definitely need to find him at all times.

Outside of Artis, Young, Jeter, and Johnson I am not too impressed with Pitt. They do not have much depth which is similar to us. Another thing I will say about Pitt is they at times get very careless with the ball. Artis tries to dribble too much and gets lazy with his passes and Young dribbled out of bounds trying to go between his legs at least twice. We need to capitalize on these turnovers to be in the best position to win.

Going to be a dog fight that's for sure, but this team is beatable.
Watched the game on TV and Pitt is a lot more fun to watch with Stallings coaching. How full was the arena? Looked like the student section was full but I couldn't tell how full the upper sections were.

Watched the game on TV and Pitt is a lot more fun to watch with Stallings coaching. How full was the arena? Looked like the student section was full but I couldn't tell how full the upper sections were.

Surprisingly, there were a lot of empty seats in the arena. I am assuming the Wednesday night 9 o'clock tip-off had something to do with this. I expected higher attendance with Virginia in town, but the students provided energy as always and the arena certainly got loud at crucial moments in the game.

Outside of Jordan and Pippen, I was never too impressed with the Bulls in the 90s.;)

Fair point. These 4 players added up aren't 1/1,000th the players of Pippen and Jordan though...

Pitt shot 13-21 from 3. Clearly Tony Bennett is a trash defensive coach now, his defense just doesn't work in modern college basketball ;)

I do not get all of the attention that the media brings to Tony Bennett's defensive strategy...And he starts Kyle Guy and plays him tons of minutes so all of his credibility is out the door as a coach.

Grambling+State+v+Virginia+tXxZq6iaXNUx.jpg

Stallings with an all too common bonehead decision...to give up a good shot for 3 in the final seconds of regulation instead of fouling before the shot.
Maybe he's been watching video of Cal in the final seconds of Memphis' NCAA Final against Kansas.

Looking at Kenpom I think we are going to end up opening as a slight favorite against Pitt. Probably 2-3 points.

i watched the second half and was entertained. did anybody think perrantes wasn't taking the last shot ? i was curious as to why the student section was called the "oakland zoo". i googled this :

"The Oakland Zoo is the student cheering section for the University of Pittsburgh men's and women's basketball teams. The Zoo cheers on the Panthersfrom the bottom tier of the stands at the Petersen Events Center, primarily across from the teams' benches and on the baselines under the baskets. The "Pete" holds a rowdy crowd of 1,500 students that are typically uniformly clad in gold t-shirts, and the Zoo student section is consistently sold out for Panthers home games. The Oakland Zoo is named after Oakland, the neighborhood in which the university is located. The name "Oakland Zoo" is used for the basketball cheering sections only; the football cheering section has often used the title, "The Panther Pitt."

i can't explain the shark (dolphin) other than a bachelor reference.

i watched the second half and was entertained. did anybody think perrantes wasn't taking the last shot ? i was curious as to why the student section was called the "oakland zoo". i googled this :

"The Oakland Zoo is the student cheering section for the University of Pittsburgh men's and women's basketball teams. The Zoo cheers on the Panthersfrom the bottom tier of the stands at the Petersen Events Center, primarily across from the teams' benches and on the baselines under the baskets. The "Pete" holds a rowdy crowd of 1,500 students that are typically uniformly clad in gold t-shirts, and the Zoo student section is consistently sold out for Panthers home games. The Oakland Zoo is named after Oakland, the neighborhood in which the university is located. The name "Oakland Zoo" is used for the basketball cheering sections only; the football cheering section has often used the title, "The Panther Pitt."

Was obvious Perrentes was pulling from 3, they give him way too much space

I do not get all of the attention that the media brings to Tony Bennett's defensive strategy...And he starts Kyle Guy and plays him tons of minutes so all of his credibility is out the door as a coach

Bennett is a good coach. Very very good. Their defense is as good as anyone's, unfortunately. Go look at their ppg allowed (their pace of game helps, but look at their fg% against). Nothing easy. Ever. Honestly, we deserved to win that game last March, but we were fortunate (different than lucky). Teams just don't go on 17-2 runs in 6 minutes (or whatever it was) against Bennett's teams.

And Kyle Guy ... I'd take him gladly. Not a Mark Macon or Carmelo type frosh (as in dominant from the get-go), but this guy is going to win them a lot of games the next few years. We won't like him. But that does not mean he is not a serious talent. Very athletic. Reminds me of Rex Chapman or even an attacking right-handed Devendorf.

Bennett is a good coach. Very very good. Their defense is as good as anyone's, unfortunately. Go look at their ppg allowed (their pace of game helps, but look at their fg% against). Nothing easy. Ever. Honestly, we deserved to win that game last March, but we were fortunate (different than lucky). Teams just don't go on 17-2 runs in 6 minutes (or whatever it was) against Bennett's teams.

And Kyle Guy ... I'd take him gladly. Not a Mark Macon or Carmelo type frosh (as in dominant from the get-go), but this guy is going to win them a lot of games the next few years. We won't like him. But that does not mean he is not a serious talent. Very athletic. Reminds me of Rex Chapman or even an attacking right-handed Devendorf.

He is essentially just a shooter with a little handle. He goes to the basket weak and makes poor decisions with the pass. Well, last night Pitt had some amazing looks at the basket. Maybe it was just an "off" defensive night.

As opposed to the Manley Zoo, the the nickname for the Syracuse student section when the SU men's team played at Manley Field House.

Except the SU student section was called a zoo because it literally was a zoo. A place full of wild animals. That was back in the day when SU had one of the best student sections in the country. Sad how far things have fallen now...Otto's Army is Otto's Embarrassment.

-b6bcb75b0d2efe90.jpg

As opposed to the Manley Zoo, the the nickname for the Syracuse student section when the SU men's team played at Manley Field House.

Except the SU student section was called a zoo because it literally was a zoo. A place full of wild animals. That was back in the day when SU had one of the best student sections in the country. Sad how far things have fallen now...Otto's Army is Otto's Embarrassment.

-b6bcb75b0d2efe90.jpg

Totally agree with Tomcat.

The language and the signs back then were extremely out of control (KERMIT'S A BIRD! With a huge middle finger drawn on a 2x3 poster board, for K. Washington from AU) and it was fantastic.

While the Zoo was mostly SU students, my fellow HS brethren from J-D and F-M were always there as well, sometimes mixed in, mostly on the sideline opposite the visitor's bench. Since it was GA, we'd get there at around 3:30 or so, then when the turnstiles opened up, it was like a stampede to the seats of one's choice.

A prime example of the antics that went on back then: When we lost to Rutgers on 2/6/75 by 1 point, Phil (still hate him to this day) Sellers hit the winning FT's. While he was at the line, my friend, let's just call him Orthodontist To The Stars and a HS frosh, was actually shaking the basket stanchion with both hands while Sellers was shooting and nobody attempted to stop him. For both FTs. The game was the ECAC Game of The Week and his mother saw him on TV shaking the stanchion and grounded him for a week.

Here's a shot of a young Bill Orange, full of hair, under Sweet D's left foot:

1782137_10153444474282980_7504456248965883080_n.jpg

Last edited:
The language and the signs back then were extremely out of control (KERMIT'S A BIRD! With a huge middle finger drawn on a 2x3 poster board, for K. Washington from AU) and it was fantastic.
When Rhode Island and Sly Williams visited - U-R-I! U-R-I! U-R-I-N-E!!!!

I do not get all of the attention that the media brings to Tony Bennett's defensive strategy...And he starts Kyle Guy and plays him tons of minutes so all of his credibility is out the door as a coach.

Grambling+State+v+Virginia+tXxZq6iaXNUx.jpg

His parents gave him a weird middle name...Izita. Just weird.

Sure they are beatable. Johnson and Jeter have also played well against us though in the past. A couple of games Pitt really stunk against us offensively but simply went and grabbed rebounds for easy putbacks. They just would big boy us inside for those. I suspect it could come down to rebounding (again) with this match with them.

That's cool you were able to go. That is a GREAT atmosphere at PEC. I've been fortunate to see SU play there twice.

-b6bcb75b0d2efe90.jpg
Had to be the only arena where bumper riding was an acceptable way to get to the game.