Plain Dealer on Dion last night | Syracusefan.com

Plain Dealer on Dion last night

osullfam

Scout Team
Terry Pluto is the PD's journalist at large. Covers all the sports and is much paid attention to. He's been pretty down on the Dion selection and his performance as a Cav so far (not without reason). So, it's nice to see his comments about last night:
Begin with the new guy, Dion Waiters. I've been nervous about the Syracuse guard ever since the Cavs made him the fourth pick in the draft. Watching three preseason games did little to calm the anxiety, as he looked rather timid and confused as he figured out how to play shooting guard.
Then he stepped on the court, matched up with Bradley Beal -- a pure shooting guard and the third pick last June. One guard had 17 points, the other scored eight on a dismal 2-of-8 from the field. Guess who did what?
Take a bow, Mr. Waiters. The same for Chris Grant, as it was the Cavs general manager who made the gusty decision to draft Waiters at such a lofty spot.
The disclaimer is that one game hardly makes a career, or even a good first month. Washington had its two best players injured -- John Wall and Nene. But Waiters showed more in his 28 minutes than most expected. He shot 6-of-14, everything from a pair of 3-pointers to a steal and a dunk. He seemed to have a good idea about court spacing, allowing future All-Star Kyrie Irving plenty of room to roam.

I watched pretty much the entire game, may have missed a little of the 3rd because I started watching Heat/Celts.

He looked good. Same old Dion, he can get to the rim pretty much whenever he wants. Used the pick and roll really well for the most part, had a few nice dishes where Thompson/Varajao drew fouls off his passes. Could have been a GREAT rookie debut, he must have missed 3 or 4 layups.

Defensively, meeeehhhhh. He's gonna struggle here a bit. But the effort was pretty good, he had a few nice closeouts on Beal. His Sportscenter highlight of the night was a clean strip of Beal, taking it the other way for one of his patented slams.

Edit: Whoops, I missed the 4 page thread dedicated to Dion's first game.

itoo was impressed with dion. he is going to ne all nba defensive type player. hr;s cut now and makes the right play off the dribble. he'll get votes for roy.

itoo was impressed with dion. he is going to ne all nba defensive type player. hr;s cut now and makes the right play off the dribble. he'll get votes for roy.
Other than Irving, the Cav's lack offensive options. Dion will have every oportunity to be the 2nd leading scorer.