Plan at Point Guard | Syracusefan.com

Plan at Point Guard

pfister1

2023-24 Iggy Winner ACC & OOC Record
What is the plan at point guard for next season (2015-16)? I assume Plan A is that Joseph has a very good freshman campaign, but not so good that he decides to jump. But, what if he does have the kind of year that gives him options, he gets hurt or what if he just sh1ts the bed?

We don't have a PG coming in in the 2015 class and with all of the discussion surrounding Bryant it doesn't look like we'd be likely to pick one up late, as the scholarship we don't currently have available already appears to be spoken for.

Does that mean that some combination of Buss, Cooney and Gbinije would have to man the point? Does that make anyone at all nervous?

Franklin Howard is a PG in the class of 2015 no matter what the so called experts say. I have watched him live and a few full games. He handles the ball like a point guard, is a pretty good passer and definitely will play the 1 here or be a Triche-like combo.

What is the plan at point guard for next season (2015-16)? I assume Plan A is that Joseph has a very good freshman campaign, but not so good that he decides to jump. But, what if he does have the kind of year that gives him options, he gets hurt or what if he just sh1ts the bed?

We don't have a PG coming in in the 2015 class and with all of the discussion surrounding Bryant it doesn't look like we'd be likely to pick one up late, as the scholarship we don't currently have available already appears to be spoken for.

Does that mean that some combination of Buss, Cooney and Gbinije would have to man the point? Does that make anyone at all nervous?

Actually, we do have a player coming in the class of 2015 that the staff recruited as a point guard--Franklin Howard.

But to answer your question, I think that Plan A is for Joseph to return for his sophomore campaign, building upon the year of experience he'll gain this season.

If that doesn't happen for whatever reason [i.e, he goes pro, gets hurt, or transfers], then I'd have to believe that a senior Gbinije would be the front runner to start at PG. This would be Plan B.

Plan C would probably be to leave no stone unturned in the event of a Joseph departure, to see if we could find a replacement--either through the prep ranks, JUCO, or via transfer.

Plan D would be to go with true frosh Franklin. And him being the fourth option on the list isn't meant to detract from his capabilities. By all accounts, he's a combo guard developing into a lead guard. That transition might take some time.

Originally the plan was Ennis would be back and Joseph would be the apprentice this season.

Now the plan is for Joseph to be back and Howard to be the apprentice for the 2015/16 season

After that we are looking at bringing in either Battle or Murray in the next class.

The class following those two is Zachary 2017.

And remember we have MikeG for the next couple of seasons as well and he will get more and more comfortable running the offense.

Didn't realize that Franklin Howard could be considered a serviceable PG. I fully expect that we will have Joseph for his sophmore season, but it makes me feel a bit better to know that Howard is a contingency.

Franklin Howard is a PG in the class of 2015 no matter what the so called experts say. I have watched him live and a few full games. He handles the ball like a point guard, is a pretty good passer and definitely will play the 1 here or be a Triche-like combo.

tee's 1st hand knowledge help put my exact fears a bit at ease when I made basically the same thread a few months ago

I hope joseph is spectacular and goes real high in the draft. we become a destination for point guards and take our pick

That would be great and its been heading that way. Flynn played 2 years, MCW sat 1 and played 1, Ennis played 1 year. Its always going to help you when you are sending kids to the NBA regularly at a certain position.

tee's 1st hand knowledge help put my exact fears a bit at ease when I made basically the same thread a few months ago
Well, you know. :) Thanks, bud.
I hope joseph is spectacular and goes real high in the draft. we become a destination for point guards and take our pick
Heck yeah, Point Guard U!

I thought we were a destination after landing Flynn - the best PG in the history of ESPN?

IMO, there is no silent verbal. It is just JB trying to throw others off the scent.

IMO, there is no silent verbal. It is just JB trying to throw others off the scent.
Or perhaps it's double secret squirrel and JB has given a verbal silent! Really cloak and dagger recruiting stuff that has other coaches totally foobarred!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom