play design | Syracusefan.com

play design

upperdeck

Living Legend
some plays really make you want to ask the coaches what they are thinking..

1) end of the first quarter. 3 rd and 3 we throw to Wales.. NCt state is in man Lewis slotted out wide.. Wales runs an out wide open. terrible throw by Hunt almost gets him killed but a first down.. the issue is we have lewis not clearing out space so his DB comes off his route and makes the tackle. Any other route by lewis but a shallow curl and Wales runs for big yardage as he was uncovered.

2) same series. 1st down on the near sideline.. We run a deep 10 yd out, Hunt is late throwing and its a 40 yds pass to the corner, almost picked. Again strange play to run on that hash with Hunts throwing motion.

3) same series we run WR bubble screen with 1 blocker on 2 guys to short side of the field. Estimie almost gets by guy.. Fastest guy and give him no space. then we run the same play out of the TO 1 blocker on 3 guys. Do we not give hunt any option to check out or is he not seeing its a bad play to run.

its just one series, but it would be a great question for the coaches.. Nassib used to check into plays all the time, I wonder how many times Allen/Hunt are not checking into better plays or dont they even have that freedom?

Not sure they have that freedom to check into different plays. I have no knowledge other then they look to the sideline for the call, waiting for the possible audible. I could be mistaken with that thinking, but I do agree the play calling has not helped the offense.

With that said, there were 3 or 4 plays Saturday that I thought were really well designed. 3 or 4 plays a game though is not going to cut it. I believe McD will get better (obviously hoping) for the best, but I believe he is currently running plays he wants to run without taking the personnel into account. For example, I believe a lot of his plays would work alright if we had the personnel that he is looking for (the type of players we are currently recruiting), but he has to realize those players are not at our disposal right now and we need to adjust our game plan for the players we actually have this year.

Not sure they have that freedom to check into different plays. I have no knowledge other then they look to the sideline for the call, waiting for the possible audible. I could be mistaken with that thinking, but I do agree the play calling has not helped the offense.

With that said, there were 3 or 4 plays Saturday that I thought were really well designed. 3 or 4 plays a game though is not going to cut it. I believe McD will get better (obviously hoping) for the best, but I believe he is currently running plays he wants to run without taking the personnel into account. For example, I believe a lot of his plays would work alright if we had the personnel that he is looking for (the type of players we are currently recruiting), but he has to realize those players are not at our disposal right now and we need to adjust our game plan for the players we actually have this year.

I've said this before-- it's much easier for the coaches to change their scheme/plays to fit the players' skill than it is for the players to change their skill to fit the scheme/plays.

play calling and play design are different skill sets. some of the issues we have is WRs running poor routes. too much congestion on some plays. hard to know if thats the play itself or bad recognition by the rcvr of where to take the route on the fly.

yes there were some very nice play designs.. one of the runs in the 4th quarter that gulley broke off was well designed, and it looks even better when it hits the D its designed work work against. but we too often have plays with only one level to throw at and our QBs are left out to dry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom