Play McCullough at the 3, and Roberson at the 4. | Syracusefan.com

Play McCullough at the 3, and Roberson at the 4.

It's a thought, but let's be honest - the 3 and 4 in our offense are pretty interchangeable. I don't think you'd really notice much if you swapped spots. Plus, that means Gbinije goes to the bench in this scenario.

Thoughts ?
No. That means I guess you want silent G at the pt. That hurts us as his driving ability is one of the few things we have working on offense. I don't like the thought of Chris rotating back on d to stop the other teams fast break.

For this team to really be good we need G at the 3 because he is dynamic there and spreads the court better. The real answer is Joseph playing better and being a scoring threat. That gives you 5 guys at their best positions. It also means Roberson can spell Chris who lets not forget is our back up 5 so we need that.

no. CMcC doesn't have the shot or handle to play deep wing. According to JB, when both are in together at F they don't space correctly so their defenders can slough off and play help D on Rak. plus g either goes to the 1 or bench.

in other words, you proposed move hurts the team in many many ways.
USA1.gif

Maybe gets McCullough going doesn't have to play and post. Can play the wing.

And Roberson best position is the 4. So.

For this team to really be good we need G at the 3 because he is dynamic there and spreads the court better. The real answer is Joseph playing better and being a scoring threat. That gives you 5 guys at their best positions. It also means Roberson can spell Chris who lets not forget is our back up 5 so we need that.

Re: Joseph. In his weekly radio show, JB said that Kaleb needs to up his production to at least 5-6 points a game. I wish someone asked him if Kaleb has a green light to shoot those open jumpers he's been saying no to. The fact that teams have been sagging off him and basically begging him to shoot is hurting us tremendously. It's not only hurting our PG production; it's making things more difficult inside the paint.

Re: Joseph. In his weekly radio show, JB said that Kaleb needs to up his production to at least 5-6 points a game. I wish someone asked him if Kaleb has a green light to shoot those open jumpers he's been saying no to. The fact that teams have been sagging off him and basically begging him to shoot is hurting us tremendously. It's not only hurting our PG production; it's making things more difficult inside the paint.

Agreed 100% and I have the feeling that Joseph has kind of shut himself down and concentrated exclusively at trying to be a mistake free player right now. He will never be an effective PG if he isn't a threat to score at least a little bit and he certainly has the tools to do that.

What Skills does Chris possess that make you think he can play the wing regularly? Even when he plays with Tyler the coaches move Tyler to the 3 spot on offense where he is also limited but more maneuverable than Chris. Chris and Tyler can both drive against big guys but neither seems advanced enough off the bounce to be getting by wing players regularly. So they are going to stand outside and shoot the occational while their defender slumps down to crowd the lane. Its not like teams are scared of Chris or Tyler killing them from 3.

Agreed 100% and I have the feeling that Joseph has kind of shut himself down and concentrated exclusively at trying to be a mistake free player right now. He will never be an effective PG if he isn't a threat to score at least a little bit and he certainly has the tools to do that.

Yeah, my only debate is whether the red light is self-imposed. I find it hard to believe JB wants him to pass up wide open 17-20 foot jump shots.

So. You still have Gbinije on the bench in this scenario, because barring injury I can't imagine JB benching Joseph or Cooney.

Yeah, my only debate is whether the red light is self-imposed. I find it hard to believe JB wants him to pass up wide open 17-20 foot jump shots.

Especially when he looked so good early on this year with one dribble into that 17'er. He really has to take it if teams keep defending him this way. I'm sure JB has talked to him about shot selection, being patient and not forcing but I have a hard time believing he now has the redlight. JB has always let guys shoot shots that are open if he feels they are shots they can make, he gets on the guys more when they start taking shots he doesn't feel they can make or if they are simply jacking too quickly. He may want Joseph to move the ball around if there is 25 sec on the shot clock but under 15 with a wide open look he has to take it because its hard to get a good look when everyone else is 4 on 5 and the clock is ticking down.

So. You still have Gbinije on the bench in this scenario, because barring injury I can't imagine JB benching Joseph or Cooney.

Ooh No. I mean of course still start Joseph/Cooney. I meant more when Joseph is out of the game.

It is very difficult to have anyone at the 3 other than G, given the team's weakness at the guard spots. We need G to provide the supplemental ball-handling on the perimeter in the half court game, and also against a press.

Moving G to a guard spot (when Joseph is out) -- same point. G and Cooney are not going to be adequate on the perimeter, so JB inserts Patterson to supplement.

Last edited:
I agree with that. He seems like a very earnest and coachable kid, perhaps a bit too coachable compared to some of our recent players. We all saw what he did against Villanova. I have a feeling JB will be encouraging him to start looking for his shot again and he will respond.

Two guys on wings who can't shoot, so Rak gets triple teamed.

agree, at the same time there is little scoring difference from ron/joseph on the perimeter vs roberson. Roberson has shown the ability to drive and welcome the contact some this year from the high post. If he learns to finish alittle 8 foot teardrop, and puts a kickout pass game to go with it as the year goes on, it could possibly help some offesively.

Teams can also double rak with their point guard as Joseph/patterson aren't making spot up threes or driving off a inside out pass either. Gbinije should be able to abuse some guards off the dribble with his strength, and that should open up some dishing/lob lanes with his 12 foot pullup(hes good enough to make 3-4 in a 5 minutes stretch).

Thoughts ?
This has been discussed already by posters on this board and now straight from the coaches mouth which SWC wrote in his great summary of the coaches show. For someone who acts like they know so much about basketball it seemed obvious why having them both on the floor would be ineffective.

I am trying to get McCullough going.

Coach says McCullough shoots it great in practice. I think he can drive it. Just hasn't been able to finish.

Also why is Patterson getting more run over BJ. Especially when Coach say's it's painful watching the forwards on offense.

Wonder where this idea of JB telling kaleb not to shoot came from . Did JB say something to the press about it? Kaleb has got a nice shot, I would assume JB would encourage it. Kaleb's confidence must be low but having a nice touch on your shot really helps so shooting more might get him out of his funk.

I am trying to get McCullough going.

Coach says McCullough shoots it great in practice. I think he can drive it. Just hasn't been able to finish.

Also why is Patterson getting more run over BJ. Especially when Coach say's it's painful watching the forwards on offense.

I think a lot of the issue w McC is mental. He obviously has physical skills if not physical strength. My solution is to start Roberson, who deserves it anyways, and let McC come in off the bench. Take the pressure off the kid hopefully. Also, I think his having to fill in at the 5 is confusing for him. Let Chino backup the 5 spot. Just let McC focus on learning what he can do well at one position, at least for the time being.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom