Player ratings, week 2 | Syracusefan.com

Player ratings, week 2

moqui

generational talent
Every Monday (or Tuesday if there is a Monday game), posters will be asked to rank the scholarship players in order, using whatever metric you want. Some will base it on total season production, some just on the most recent games, some on a combination, some on a metric of their own creation.

The only rules are that you must list at least 5 players, and you must list them in order - no ties. Force yourself to order them. I know it is hard; some weeks there will be very little difference between #3 and #7.

I will be traveling on Friday, so the vote closes on Thursday AM and I will collate & post the results on Thursday afternoon.

Last week's results:
playerratingsweek1.jpg

moving Ithaca Matt's vote here so they are all in one place when I tally the results:

I missed it last week.

I will repost when the official one is started, but don't want to miss it.

Mine:

1. James Southerland
2. Michael Carter-Williams
3. Brandon Triche
4. C. J. Fair
5. Rakeem Christmas
6. Baye Keita
7. Dajuan Coleman
8. Jerami Grant
9. Trevor Cooney

That's not saying any of these guys are any less than the others. Trevor has to get it going, but he's got plenty of time for that. Coleman could become our best big man, and he is making fast progress. Christmas has really made strides from the beginning of the season. I feel like he has become our enforcer, to an extent. Keita is playing well, too, and the smart offense continues, along with the hustle, the defense and the blocks. Our 3 centers all have different looks and all are very good.

Southerland has the potential to be this year's team's break-out star. He's the guy who can carry us to a Final Four, because he's got the athleticism, and he's got the dead eye shooting ability. The way the rest of his game is coming together is wonderful to see.

The one game Triche really tried to force it (after the really good game he had) showed the formula for success - Brandon has to let the game come to him, and Dirty is going to be the one who provides the emotional charged runs, like Dion did last year, or like Shumpert used to do back in old days. Man, that guy could get hot, and then he would be blowing kisses to his girlfriend in the stands. One cool character. I could see James being that guy. Liked what I saw from Grant again, too.

Fair had an off-game, but is like Triche, an ultra-dependable guy who we could not win without. Does so many fundamental things well, and provides us with leadership and experience.

1. Dirty
2. MCW
3. Triche
4. Thickburger
5. Rak "Lloyd" Christmas
6. DC2
7. Bad Mutha Keita
8. Grant
9. White Hot

Feels like Grant really needs a nickname...

1. Southerland
2. Triche
3. Carter-Williams
4. Christmas
5. Coleman
6. Keita
7. Fair
8. Cooney
9. Grant

Soley based on the 2 games this week.

1. Michael Carter-Williams
2. James Southerland
3. Brandon Triche
4. Rakeem Christmas
5. Baye Keita
6. Jerami Grant
7. Dajuan Coleman
8. C. J. Fair
9. Trevor Cooney

My votes
  1. MCW
  2. Dirty
  3. Rak
  4. BT
  5. BMK
  6. CJ
  7. DC
  8. TC
  9. JG

1. MCW
2. Dirty
3. Triche
4. BMK
5. CJ Fair
6. RAK
7. DaJuan Coleman
8. Grant
9. Cooney

1. MCW
2. Southerland
3. Triche
4. Xmas
5. CJ
6. Dajuan
7. Baye
8. Grant
9. Cooney

1. James Southerland
2. Michael Carter-Williams
3. Brandon Triche
Rakeem Christmas
5. Dajuan Coleman
6. Baye Keita
7. C. J. Fair
8. Jerami Grant
9. Trevor Cooney

Based on a mixture of play vs. expectations (~70%) and pure performance

Southerland
Carter Williams
Triche
Moussa Keita
Christmas
Fair
Coleman
Grant
Cooney

1. MCW - He just continues to fill the stat sheet. This week he averaged 9 points, 11 assists, 6 rebounds, 4 steals, and 2 turnovers per game.
2. Dirty - Just an amazing week for him. Hopefully he can keep it up.
3. Christmas - Nothing spectacular, but he had two very solid games for us.
4. Coleman - Basically the same as Christmas but to a lesser degree.
5. Triche - One solid game and one meh
6. Fair - Same as Triche
7. BMK - Continues to just be a solid bench player
8. Grant - He's been very solid in his limited minutes
9. Cooney - Gotta get that shot going. Seems like he's starting to rush his mechanics a bit.

1. MCW
2. JSouth
3. Rak
4. Triche
5. Keita
6. CJ
7. DC2
8. Grant
9. Cooney

Every Monday (or Tuesday if there is a Monday game), posters will be asked to rank the scholarship players in order, using whatever metric you want. Some will base it on total season production, some just on the most recent games, some on a combination, some on a metric of their own creation.

The only rules are that you must list at least 5 players, and you must list them in order - no ties. Force yourself to order them. I know it is hard; some weeks there will be very little difference between #3 and #7.

I will be traveling on Friday, so the vote closes on Thursday AM and I will collate & post the results on Thursday afternoon.

Last week's results:
playerratingsweek1.jpg

1. Southerland
2. Carter-Williams
3. Triche
4. Fair
5. Christmas
6. Keita
7. Coleman
8. Grant
9. Cooney

MCW
James
Brandon
Rak
CJ
Coleman
Baye
Grant
Cooney

moving Ithaca Matt's vote here so they are all in one place when I tally the results:

Thanks, Moqui. I really enjoy this feature that you introduced.

MCW
Southerland
Rak
Brandon
Coleman
CJ
Baye
Grant
Cooney

Last week's results:
playerratingsweek1.jpg

1. Triche
2. MCW
3. Southerland
4. X-Mas
5. Fair
6. Keita
7. Coleman
8. Cooney
9. Grant

I'm going based on stats and what other people said for the most part since I didn't see the Colgate game. DC2 seems to be improving slightly every game which is positive. I don't want to move Fair down too far since I didn't witness the Colgate game but will be watching him closely against Arkansas. I think Triche, MCW and Southerland are the 3 best players by a reasonable margin right now. I hope Southerland keeps this up when we get into conference play.

1. MCW
  2. Southy
  3. Triche
  4. CJ
  5. Rak
  6. Keita
  7. Coleman
  8. Cooney
  9. Grant
1, 3 and 4 are just scratching the surface offensively and the young bigs and Cooney have huge upside. I wouldn't want to play this team once they all figure it out.

1. Carter-Williams
2. Southerland
3. Fair
4. Christmas
5. Triche
6. Keita
7. Coleman
8. Grant
9. Cooney

Tough time deciding between Southerland and Carter-Williams.

1. Southerland
2. Carter-Williams
3. Triche
4. Christmas
5. Fair
6. Coleman
7. Keita
8. Cooney
9. Grant

1. JSouth
2. MCW
3. Triche