Players Tribune: The five toughest guys Dwight Freeney has faced. | Syracusefan.com

Players Tribune: The five toughest guys Dwight Freeney has faced.

It's worth reading the piece linked from Freeney's column where Jonathan Ogden talks about how hard it was to deal with Freeney: here
I was working in the pro shop at a golf course one summer during college and Freeney started taking lessons because he was getting invited to golf tournaments and had never played. I don't really have any good stories, but he was a super nice guy (maybe a little cheap). He also flew his 7 iron like 230 yards when he connected.

someday maybe we get a DE who can do some of his moves again

I've been saying that stuff about McNair for YEARS.

It's also worth mentioning that the Titans' O-line was also never that great.

He was amazing and severely underrated. In fact, he's one of the best QB's that I've ever seen play.

Last edited:
Great read and DF is right about McNair! Truly underrated. Was a winner, smart, played hard. Built like a LB (well bigger than most of ours). Dude has huge hands and handled the ball with one hand , even amongst traffic and pressure. Was a gamer and threw a nice deep ball. Geeez, imagine him today? He might be a top 6-8 qb? Always and interesting conversation.

That article will be very helpful to Dwight when he gets elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame...

Ogden should be his presenter.

Great read and DF is right about McNair! Truly underrated. Was a winner, smart, played hard. Built like a LB (well bigger than most of ours). Dude has huge hands and handled the ball with one hand , even amongst traffic and pressure. Was a gamer and threw a nice deep ball. Geeez, imagine him today? He might be a top 6-8 qb? Always and interesting conversation.

I wonder what Dwight thougth of McNabb? Actually, I'm not sure they ever played the Eagles with Donovan in the line-up.

I looked it up- they faced each other once: Box Score - Indianapolis Colts vs. Philadelphia Eagles, November 10, 2002 | The Football Database

Fun read. I was a bit surprised the Bryant "Mount" McKinnie wasn't one of the 5. Still remember all the hype for the 2001 College Gameday showdown down there, they had a pretty lengthy feature on their individual matchup. Freeney came in with 12 or 13 sacks & McKinnie held him without a single tackle. In fact, I'm not even sure Freeney ever once got a hand on a ball carrier, though I do recall him drawing a holding call on McKinnie. In his defense, Freeney did have some nice games against him in the NFL.

Fun read. I was a bit surprised the Bryant "Mount" McKinnie wasn't one of the 5. Still remember all the hype for the 2001 College Gameday showdown down there, they had a pretty lengthy feature on their individual matchup. Freeney came in with 12 or 13 sacks & McKinnie held him without a single tackle. In fact, I'm not even sure Freeney ever once got a hand on a ball carrier, though I do recall him drawing a holding call on McKinnie. In his defense, Freeney did have some nice games against him in the NFL.
Wasn't he being held the whole game but never got any calls? I was a freshman that year and for some reason I always remember that as the weekend when some guy from the crow frat hit another kid with a pool ball in a sock.

Wasn't he being held the whole game but never got any calls? I was a freshman that year and for some reason I always remember that as the weekend when some guy from the crow frat hit another kid with a pool ball in a sock.
Eh, I didn't think so. McKinnie was just dominant & Miami had too many athletes & schemed for Freeney. I wasn't on the board back then but I have no doubt there were probably many here who thought he was being held.

Is it odd that I'm more interested in what a "crow frat" is than the pool ball incident?

Eh, I didn't think so. McKinnie was just dominant & Miami had too many athletes & schemed for Freeney. I wasn't on the board back then but I have no doubt there were probably many here who thought he was being held.

Is it odd that I'm more interested in what a "crow frat" is than the pool ball incident?

It was said that McKinney got a lot of help in winning his battle with Freeney. Later when the Colts played the Vikings and McKinney took him one on one Dwight got several sacks.

If I recall, McKinney held on to Freeney like a child holds a security blanket, no letting go. It may be my Orange bias speaking, I am much older now than I was during that game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom