Plays out of timeouts | Syracusefan.com

Plays out of timeouts

NineOneSeven

2018-19 Iggy Hoops Leader Scorer
Let me first say, there is an opponent on the court for a reason and their job is to play defense and disrupt what their opponent (us) is doing. As Bills reporter Sal Capaccio often says during his weekly call in show- those guys on the other side of the field are also getting paid for a reason (ironically that same sentence could be applied to college athletics now).

However, the play that really got me against Duke was after our timeout at the 13:44 mark when Duke went up 53-37. The game was still in striking distance (based on score and time, maybe not in actuality). After the timeout, we ended up with a Copeland missed 3. There is absolutely no chance in hell that in that huddle, the design was for Copeland to shoot a 3. But what was the design? We simply cannot differentiate whether it was a poor play 'design', poor execution, or simply a case where the opponent won the possession [Duke played well on defense, not taking anything away from them], but too many times we simply cannot run good sets out of timeouts.

We know our offense at times lacks structure. We know we put a lot on the shoulders of the guards in particular to make plays. But that possession really got me.

I don't have the ability, but I'd like to re-watch that particular sequence.

Let me first say, there is an opponent on the court for a reason and their job is to play defense and disrupt what their opponent (us) is doing. As Bills reporter Sal Capaccio often says during his weekly call in show- those guys on the other side of the field are also getting paid for a reason (ironically that same sentence could be applied to college athletics now).

However, the play that really got me against Duke was after our timeout at the 13:44 mark when Duke went up 53-37. The game was still in striking distance (based on score and time, maybe not in actuality). After the timeout, we ended up with a Copeland missed 3. There is absolutely no chance in hell that in that huddle, the design was for Copeland to shoot a 3. But what was the design? We simply cannot differentiate whether it was a poor play 'design', poor execution, or simply a case where the opponent won the possession [Duke played well on defense, not taking anything away from them], but too many times we simply cannot run good sets out of timeouts.

We know our offense at times lacks structure. We know we put a lot on the shoulders of the guards in particular to make plays. But that possession really got me.

I think we’ve done better this year on set plays out of timeouts than in the past. But sometimes a play breaks down and you get a Q 3 pointer which I am sure was not the planned play. We’ve scored out of timeouts several times on a play where Joe as he cuts through the lane sets a screen down low for Jesse and Jesse gets the pass for an easy 2. We’ve scored on plays where a double screen is set for Joe and he gets a real clean look. I remember one play out of a timeout from mid court where the ball went into Judah and a screen was set for him and for Brown and Judah went down the sideline, hit someone with a pass who then whipped it into Brown for a layup. And that’s only a handful I can remember off the top of my head. I think we’ve gotten a lot better.

I think we’ve done better this year on set plays out of timeouts than in the past. But sometimes a play breaks down and you get a Q 3 pointer which I am sure was not the planned play. We’ve scored out of timeouts several times on a play where Joe as he cuts through the lane sets a screen down low for Jesse and Jesse gets the pass for an easy 2. We’ve scored on plays where a double screen is set for Joe and he gets a real clean look. I remember one play out of a timeout from mid court where the ball went into Judah and a screen was set for him and for Brown and Judah went down the sideline, hit someone with a pass who then whipped it into Brown for a layup. And that’s only a handful I can remember off the top of my head. I think we’ve gotten a lot better.
We've had some success this year, don't disagree there. In game threads I've called them out too when they happen as they do stand out.

For that particular play, if I remember correctly, we had Symir, Mintz, QC, Malik and Jesse on the floor.

We had zero shooting on the court. With Jesse being a non-factor all game, Duke was able to focus on keeping Mintz out of the lane and make one of the other three make a play.

I agree with 'bees that we have done a pretty good job this year of getting, especially Jesse and Joe, good looks out of timeouts.

When I saw JB go to QC, I thought JB was going to press and was surprised when he did not as that line-up had no offense. Then he took out QC and Symir, put Joe and Justin back and then went to the press. I did not understand that entire sequence. I would think that Symir-QC would be a better pressing line-up than Joe-Justin.

Last edited:
I don't have the ability, but I'd like to re-watch that particular sequence
It'll be on YouTube eventually. It's not in the condensed game, but I found the full game on WatchESPN.

Here we go (as an aside, the play before this was atrocious on defense. Joe established guarding position but then didn't move as a Duke player dribbled around him and laid it in. It's like he expected that was sufficient. Just terrible.

As posted, just a weak offensive lineup out there to begin with. Jesse and Maliq set double picks up top for Judah. Cope is in one corner and Symir in the opposite.
TO_Play1.png

Judah drives around the arc and Symir and Cope rotate at the same time.
TO_Play2.png

Judah backs out and passes back to Symir, well behind the arc.
TO_Play3.png

There are a couple of passes back and forth, Symir and Judah switch out, and then we get to this point where Cope is all alone, the middle is plugged, and Judah has the ball at the top again, 13 seconds on the shot clock and Cope decides it's his time to shine. He's wide open, but that's for a reason. Duke isn't scared concerned with anyone on the court right now other than Jesse.
TO_Play4.png

He was

He was left wide open for a reason. Duke knows he can’t shoot. We also had Symir on the floor. There was no one to go to. It was a horrible sequence of substitutions. I wish JB would use Justin at the two and Joe at the point when he subs for Judah. I want to see how the defense reacts when Joe, Chris and Justin are on the floor. I like Symir, but he’s pretty useless on offense and other teams know it.

He was

He was left wide open for a reason. Duke knows he can’t shoot. We also had Symir on the floor. There was no one to go to. It was a horrible sequence of substitutions. I wish JB would use Justin at the two and Joe at the point when he subs for Judah. I want to see how the defense reacts when Joe, Chris and Justin are on the floor. I like Symir, but he’s pretty useless on offense and other teams know it.
The sad thing is this leads to the overall bigger issue, in my eyes, of poor roster construction. It's been this way for awhile now in one form or another. Outside of Joe, not a single player on this team can shoot the ball consistently. Bell and Taylor have flashed for short periods of time but there is no other threat besides JG. If I'm Duke, I'm laughing at that 5 on the floor trying to score.

When I saw JB go to QC, I thought JB was going to press and was surprised when he did not as that line-up had no offense. Then he took out QC and Symir, put Joe and Justin back and then went to the press. I did not understand that entire sequence. I would think that Symir-QC would be a better pressing line-up than Joe-Justin.
I thought the same thing when I saw Qadir go in. I said we are pressing. Here is the odd thing. We made the second free throw to draw within 9 or 10 and DID NOT press. Why? If I remember correctly, we never made a basket after that and had to call timeout down 16 or 18. Game over.

The sad thing is this leads to the overall bigger issue, in my eyes, of poor roster construction. It's been this way for awhile now in one form or another. Outside of Joe, not a single player on this team can shoot the ball consistently. Bell and Taylor have flashed for short periods of time but there is no other threat besides JG. If I'm Duke, I'm laughing at that 5 on the floor trying to score.
Couldn’t agree more. While other teams hit the portal for guys that are proven, we bring in a class of 6 recruits and an unproven center. Poor construction.

Couldn’t agree more. While other teams hit the portal for guys that are proven, we bring in a class of 6 recruits and an unproven center. Poor construction.
And it's about to get worse. With zero commits for 23, it could get REAL bad. Statistically, we will see at least one of Joe, Judah or Jesse leave. We also know that all 6 Frosh won't return. This could get real ugly.

The fact that you say that Bell isn’t even a consistent threat as a shooter….and the only thing he can do at a passable level is shoot….and he’s starting….that says it all.

He was

Justin hadn't played well up until that point. Quadir isn't ready to play at this level yet, so when he's in, Jim has broken the emergency glass.

The fact that you say that Bell isn’t even a consistent threat as a shooter….and the only thing he can do at a passable level is shoot….and he’s starting….that says it all.
The fact that Jim is banking on this past recruiting class moving forward is...something. Are there some possible pieces in that class? Sure. But to have ZERO kids committed next year is absolutely crazy. I don't know what Jim's line of thinking may be but he may have to replace JE, JG, JM, BW, ST, CB. Replacing half your roster through the portal, which JB has hardly dabbled in, is asking for the swirling to continue.

I thought the same thing when I saw Qadir go in. I said we are pressing. Here is the odd thing. We made the second free throw to draw within 9 or 10 and DID NOT press. Why? If I remember correctly, we never made a basket after that and had to call timeout down 16 or 18. Game over.
Yes. Those five are, arguably, our best pressing line-up. Athletic at all 5 spots.

You know you need easy baskets with that group because of the offensive limitations.

It all pointed to a press.

When they dropped back into the zone, i just did not understand it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom