Please give a big hand to the honored Veteran on Saturday | Syracusefan.com

Please give a big hand to the honored Veteran on Saturday

llandz

Living Legend
Orange Extra: Salute to Service

I was responsible for bringing Mike Chemotti to the attention of the SU staff so that he could be the honored Veteran at this Saturday's football game. Mike is 103 years old and played football at SU as a walk on. He made it into one game when we played Columbia. Since I can't be there, I need you all to give him a big hand on Saturday. If you get to meet him, it was through my friend and real estate client Sally Zollo. Sally runs the Veteran's group that Mike is a part of. Sally will also be on her way to AZ on Saturday, so neither of us will be there. Counting on you all to show Mike the love he deserves.

I was responsible for bringing Mike Chemotti to the attention of the SU staff so that he could be the honored Veteran at this Saturday's football game. Mike is 103 years old and played football at SU as a walk on. He made it into one game when we played Columbia. Since I can't be there, I need you all to give him a big hand on Saturday. If you get to meet him, it was through my friend and real estate client Sally Zollo. Sally runs the Veteran's group that Mike is a part of. Sally will also be on her way to AZ on Saturday, so neither of us will be there. Counting on you all to show Mike the love he deserves.

He got a rousing standing O.

He got lucky...I think they did his honor at the end of one of the quarters when everyone was in their seats.

The night before, at the hoops game, they honored a woman at halftime and the stands were mostly empty and few were paying attention. It was a shame...

He was interviewed on the telecast too by the sideline reporter. He was grinning from ear to ear. You could tell the announcers really got a kick out of it too. We should all be as lucky as Mr. Chemotti to be alive at 103 and in the Dome taking in a football game.

Watched the TV broadcast last night & his interview was definitely a highlight. He was quick to point out that he was the 3rd string Center & that the highlight of his career was getting to travel to Columbia in the final game of his senior year. So humble, so bada**.

His grandson sent me all of the videos and photos they had. It was awesome to see, and also to watch on TV. I was worried that they would not show it on TV. They usually do not. But they showed it, and then interviewed him. It feels good to have had a small part in making this 103 year old veteran's day or probably year.

They made the announcement for him in the Dome and I don't think I have seen a bigger standing ovation for anyone. Seemed that folks couldn't get out of their seats fast enough to show their appreciation.

Awesome, just awesome!

Thank you for this! My Dad was a Geddes Vet as were all his friends. I remember well all those Geddes Vet Field Days when Dad would work the beer tent and my sister and I would do all the rides. What a tremendous group of guys. I'm glad to hear the organization is still going strong.

Florange44

His grandson sent me all of the videos and photos they had. It was awesome to see, and also to watch on TV. I was worried that they would not show it on TV. They usually do not. But they showed it, and then interviewed him. It feels good to have had a small part in making this 103 year old veteran's day or probably year.

day or year or century...:rolleyes:

These veteran ceremonies are one of the few things SU does just right- the timing, the length of the ceremony. It puts everyone in a good mood, no matter how the game is going.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom