Poll hilarity starting early this year | Syracusefan.com

Poll hilarity starting early this year

zibby

Starter
Ron Morris, by far the biggest assclown among AP pollsters last year, did not even include SU on his ballot. But he does have Murray State #9 and Butler #21. Linky

Not every ballot is available yet, but of the ones that are, most have SU higher than #9: Linky

Damn...hopefully we sort this out before the first BCS rankings come out.

Ron Morris, by far the biggest assclown among AP pollsters last year, did not even include SU on his ballot. But he does have Murray State #9 and Butler #21. Linky

Not every ballot is available yet, but of the ones that are, most have SU higher than #9: Linky

If this is his idea of a continuing protest over Bernie Fine, well then he should lose his vote.

Not to be Joe Contrarian, but why is it so awful for SU to be left out of the pre-season Top 25? Not only this year, but in most years, too, really.

In a sport with 340 teams or so (Div. 1), I can't see what's so insulting about a team going from Top 5 or 10 to Top 30 or so, given the tremendous roster losses from last year. This year's team could wind up being Top 10 - or Top 47. So many unknowns and unprovens.

Exhibit #17,527 as to why the human polls sink deeper and deeper into irrelevance.

Not to be Joe Contrarian, but why is it so awful for SU to be left out of the pre-season Top 25? Not only this year, but in most years, too, really.

In a sport with 340 teams or so (Div. 1), I can't see what's so insulting about a team going from Top 5 or 10 to Top 30 or so, given the tremendous roster losses from last year. This year's team could wind up being Top 10 - or Top 47. So many unknowns and unprovens.

For recruiting. If you're outside the Top 25, they don't include your games in the national coverage. We want to spend every season having the sportscasters talking about us all season long, just like they do with Duke and Carolina. That's why it matters. It's also a sign of respect for the program and its quality, year after year.

For recruiting. If you're outside the Top 25, they don't include your games in the national coverage. We want to spend every season having the sportscasters talking about us all season long, just like they do with Duke and Carolina. That's why it matters. It's also a sign of respect for the program and its quality, year after year.

Thanks. I hadn't thought of that. But at the end of the day, and in the long run, SU will still have to prove it on the court, right? I'd like SU to get the top recruits every year, sure - but so would Coppin State or SUNY Binghamton. I want SU to be elite; it's just that they might be just shy of that small group. But if a little extra publicity (positive) can somehow nudge that one key blue chipper our way, I can live with that tiny sliver of dishonesty.

I was mainly addressing people who have unrealistic expectations from SU, or don't understand the arithmetic of the entire system. SU has had many nicely surprising seasons where they went from unranked to very close to #1, as you probably know. I should have highlighted that potential fluidity (in either direction). That's what makes it fun for me every late Fall to early Spring.

And good craft brew.

Here's a complete breakdown of AP voters: Linky

62 of the 65 voters have SU ranked 14 or better, but not Ron Assclown Morris.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom