Polls (4/10/23): Media #17 / Coaches #18 | Syracusefan.com

Polls (4/10/23): Media #17 / Coaches #18

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
64340b7b7b752.jpg

New No. 1? Why not?

It’s back to Notre Dame at the top of the Inside Lacrosse Media Poll. The Irish regain the top spot in Week 9, three weeks after getting and losing No. 1.

The roundabout at the top of the poll between Notre Dame, Virginia (No. 2 and receiving two first-place votes) and Duke continues. Maryland moves up to No. 4. Notre Dame has a bye week this weekend, but Virginia and Duke battle it out Saturday.

Penn State rises to No. 5 after its Saturday night win vs. Johns Hopkins, which is tied for the No. 7 team this week. The Big Ten has four teams in the Top 10 this week and every team still ranked in the Top 20.

Cornell falls to No. 6, just a hair above Army in preparation for what will be a marquee intrastate matchup.

Syracuse is back in the Top 20, coming in at No. 17 after beating Princeton. The Big Red and Penn (19) are the only two Ivy League teams.

Men's DI Media Poll — Week 9
Notre Dame (20)
Virginia (2)
Duke
Maryland
Penn State

Check out the full men’s DI Media Poll here.

FtYY0ddWAAILFzX

FtW_G6jWcAEXgC6

FtW81FTWwAUA1iE

20) Syracuse

“Head, heart, hustle” are back in the Top 20 after a high scoring win over Princeton in New Jersey on Saturday. The ACC is now 32-6 outside the league in 2023. The Orange (7-5) do not have a resume that deserves discussion. Their asset is that they have upcoming games with North Carolina, Virginia, and Duke. If they win 2 of 3, they’ll get looks at an at-large. Their RPI is a low #27. Freshman Joey Spallina has 57 points. Their EMO clicks at 58%. Goalie Will Mark is at 58%. They’ve struggled to win faceoffs against the upper echelon. The win over Princeton is a meaningful step in the right direction. Watch the Orange at 4:00pm on Saturday on ESPNU against the Tar Heels. UNC made the Syracuse defenders look slow when they met earlier this season.

Last edited:
Is delaware still banking on their win vs gtown last year in playoffs? or close loses to two rank teams? who have they beaten that makes them top 15team? Not saying their bad team but who have they beat?

quint with yale and penn so high is not shocking but is not right. All i hope is syracuse proves everyone wrong by taking least 2 of these next 3 games.

penn at 11 is maybe quint's worst ranking of the year and he's had some bad ones

It's just so dumb. They're 5-5. The caught Maryland asleep so good for them but their other 4 wins are over Canisus, Hofstra, Delaware, Harvard. Big whoop.
Harvard beat Cornell. It makes a win over Harvard worth more.

it will be interesting to see how Cornell responds.. Sloppy game vs Harvard, miss Long a ton. Harvard took Kirst away by doubling and face guarding him most of the game.. Sure others will do that as well if they dont find the pieces and they really dont have a dodger to make teams pay for that.

These rankings matter very little. RPI is what matters for the tournament. Cuse's RPI isn't good enough right now to even sniff an at large bid. Beat UNC next week? Now we're cooking. Beat either UVA or Notre Dame, just one of them, Cuse probably has a resume good enough to get in as they have NO BAD LOSSES which are often what keep teams with solid wins out of the tournament.

All of Syracuse's 5 losses are to Top 9 RPI teams, Carolina is #9 in RPI, Notre Dame is #1, Duke is #2, Maryland is #5 and Hopkins is #4.

So none of those losses hurt Syracuse. They simply need two top 15 RPI wins and I think they probably get in. Princeton was #24 and Vermont #25 in RPI so those are decent. I think Syracuse is sitting at #26 at the moment.

TO THE ARGUMENT ABOUT MICHIGAN, Michigan's RPI is in the area of #16th. They have quality wins over #5 Maryland and #23 Harvard (RPI-wise) with their only bad loss coming to #40 Marquette.

So their rank is deserved. They are a lot like Syracuse, their only losses other than that Marquette stain are all to killers. And they beat Maryland and Harvard and Delaware, so their 3 wins are worth more than Syracuse's best wins. So their ranking is actually deserved.

As for why they moved up? People lost. This was the most stressful poll vote of the season for me haha. I sat down early Monday morning and was looking at what I was submitting like, "man, I feel stupid, but what the hell am I going to do?"

Many argue there are so many teams with 7 wins and fewer losses than teams like Cuse, or Michigan, or Penn, but the teams mentioned play much tougher schedules, so yes, it's possible to be .500 but still be ranked ahead of a 7 or 8 win team like Boston U or others because "those teams don't play " and at the end of the day they often have "bad losses" of teams outside of the RPI top 25.

My guess for the next poll:
#9 Army
#10 Rutgers
#13 Syracuse
#14 UNC
#18 Michigan
#20 Ohio State

My guess for the next poll:
#9 Army
#10 Rutgers
#13 Syracuse
#14 UNC
#18 Michigan
#20 Ohio State
Rutgers lost by 3 goals tonight. I think they'll be more like 12 to 14

honestly feel ohio st and michigan should drop out of polls. But most likely won’t happen but cuse should def be 15 or better.

and rutgers only lost by 3 but if watched that game and last qtr maryland really didn’t try to score a whole lot. Last 7 mins of game they wasted clock more then attempting to score. Grant rutgers didn’t give up but think maryland also laid off gas bit to where could of won by more. Maryland special wasting clock.

think princeton will move up from 20 to maby 18ish. Think would drop ohio st since 5-7 now out of polls. Mich would drop also out of polls if was me. Prob see penn move back in it or yale. Don’t know still surprised delaware still where they are after really not beating anyway worthy. Seems still going off that gtown win. Which gtown feel ranked high for not really have much good wins. Princeton believe is their best win so far.

Not saying penn or yale is my choice to move back in just saying what could see happing.

Rutgers lost by 3 goals tonight. I think they'll be more like 12 to 14
You underestimate the power of B1G. When they want to send four teams to NCAA tournament, THEY SEND FOUR TEAMS TO THE TOURNAMENT!

BL: Cuse has a tough road but it is up to them. They win both remaining games they are safely in. Win one out of two they need some breaks.

Sadly the eye test tells me there are a few imposters that will get in.

You underestimate the power of B1G. When they want to send four teams to NCAA tournament, THEY SEND FOUR TEAMS TO THE TOURNAMENT!
You were pretty close...#11

Well Done

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom