Polls for Feb 19: Media #6 / Coaches #8 / USALAX #9 | Syracusefan.com

Polls for Feb 19: Media #6 / Coaches #8 / USALAX #9

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
65d3570f1bdd6.jpg

Every team in men’s DI has played their first game of 2024.

Notre Dame, the preseason No. 1, is still on top of the Inside Lacrosse Media Poll at Week 2 after putting up more than 40 goals in two games. The trio of the Irish, Duke and Virginia all seem to be battling for first-place consideration until one falls.

Maryland, fresh off an overtime win in the Dome, stays at No. 4, while Denver bumps into the Top 5 after a 3-0 start. Syracuse is right there with the Pioneers, just a few votes behind at No. 6 in a run of New York State teams in the Orange, Army and Cornell. Rutgers (2-1) fell the most, to No. 17.

Three new teams are in the poll: Ohio State — the only 4-0 team in the nation — and Georgetown (1-2) and Colgate (3-1), which beat UAlbany and is one of the most interesting teams of the early season.

Check out the full Men's DI Media Poll here.

1Notre Dame (2 - 0)507 (16)1
2Duke (3 - 0)496 (8)2
3Virginia (2 - 0)476 (2)3
4Maryland (3 - 0)4434
5Denver (3 - 0)3746
6Syracuse (3 - 1)3685

Last edited:

USA LACROSSE DIVISION I MEN'S TOP 20​

1. Notre Dame, 2-0 (Prev: 1)
2. Duke, 3-0 (Prev: 2)
3. Virginia, 2-0 (Prev: 3)
4. Maryland, 3-0 (Prev: 4)
5. Cornell, 1-0 (Prev: 5)
6. Army, 2-0 (Prev: 6)
7. Denver, 3-0 (Prev: 7)
8. Johns Hopkins, 3-1 (Prev: 9)
9. Syracuse, 3-1 (Prev: 8)
10. Yale, 1-0 (Prev: 10)
11. Penn State, 2-1 (Prev: 11)
12. Princeton, 1-0 (Prev: 12)
13. Michigan, 2-1 (Prev: 14)
14. Delaware, 2-0 (Prev: 16)
15. North Carolina, 2-0 (Prev: 19)
16. Ohio State, 4-0 (Prev: NR)
17. Harvard, 1-0 (Prev: NR)
18. Rutgers, 2-1 (Prev: 13)
19. Loyola, 1-2 (Prev: 15)
20. Richmond, 1-2 (Prev: 20)

Also considered (alphabetical order): Boston U (2-1), Bryant (2-0), Colgate (3-1), Georgetown (1-2), Marquette (3-1), UMass (1-1), Penn (0-1)

GGtSUgxWYAAutrv

5) Syracuse
Otto got impressive outings from midfielders Michael Leo (3g) and Luke Rhoa (4g) while coming up a goal short in the thrilling overtime loss to the Terps.

Orange play a stand-alone five person man-down unit for that specialty situation. I like the personnel idea and their performance has been strong this season. But on Saturday night after a penalty was killed, that specialty EMD unit was caught on the field after the penalty and gave up a critical goal. Begs the question, can you play that man-down group late in a tight game?

In overtime, the refs made the correct call. I did not see substantial defensive contact with the diver. But I will admit that the goal mouth rule is awful.

The goal mouth was created to protect goalkeepers AND allow the dive. We need to ask ourselves if both are achievable without having moments like Saturday night.

Good call. Bad rule. The entire sport is being over-officiated right now. From face-offs, illegal hits, the new video review protocol and to the goal mouth rules.

Video review, an overreaction to one missed call in a semifinal game, is frivolous at best during the regular season. How can we possibly operate a rule enhancement that isn’t mandated and fully implemented? It’s an uneven rollout. The technology varies from venue-to-venue.

Each week I witness refs making an inconsistent multi-minute and non-releasable calls. By definition, is a slash to the helmet considered direct contact and worthy of a two-minute foul?

Lacrosse moves fast. It’s a difficult game to officiate. I have enormous respect for the officials who work these D1 games. I just think they’re being put in unenviable situations.

Without a doubt, we waste too much time talking, changing, explaining and complaining about the rules. This detracts from the game. We have different rules for varying levels of play. It’s a barrier of entry for new fans and creates division among followers of high school, college and pro. The game needs less complexity and less nuance.

#HHH hosts Utah on Wednesday.

Just wait till they change the faceoff rules again next year!

At this point they might as well get rid of it, it changes every year 2-3 years.

Best comments I think I’ve ever read from Quint.

I love the faceoff, but I’m sick of the flinching face off procedural calls, and they should do away with the penalty calls. That's the one over officiated thing I hate. I don’t believe flinching should warrant a 30 second man down, just give the ball to the other team. Move the wings in a bit closer if you're going to make a change.

Last edited:
Already had a tough schedule, but this win against Colgate really might be an unexpected help come May.

Already had a tough schedule, but this win against Colgate really might be an unexpected help come May.

Another massive game for them tomorrow vs Yale. Yale's attack is so good hard to see them winning but they are definitely battle tested and man do they play some OOC schedule.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom