Polls for Mar 4: Media #9 / Coaches #9 / USALAX #11 | Syracusefan.com

Polls for Mar 4: Media #9 / Coaches #9 / USALAX #11

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
65e5c8e4bbfec.jpg

Denver is the No. 1 men’s lacrosse team in the country.

The Pioneers are in the top spot in the Inside Lacrosse Media Poll for the first time since March of 2017 — and the first time under first-year head coach Matt Brown.

It was a stretch of chaos in college lacrosse, with two No. 1 teams from the ACC falling in a span of six days and an elite group of teams beating up on each other. The Pioneers (5-0) emerged from the rubble unscathed and take the top spot on the strength of wins against now-No. 2 Johns Hopkins and now-No. 8 Cornell.

The Blue Jays have faced a gauntlet to start the season, beating Virginia at Klöckner this weekend with the only blemish an OT loss vs. the Pioneers.

Army is undefeated and ranked No. 3. The Black Knights own notable wins over UMass, Rutgers and Syracuse.

Notre Dame, Virginia, Duke, Maryland, Cornell, Syracuse and Georgetown follow to make up the Top 10. This weekend, the sport’s historical powers face off as the Orange and Blue Jays meet at the Crown Lacrosse Classic in Charlotte, N.C. That will be a Top 10 matchup.

UMass enters the poll at No. 20.

Check out the full Inside Lacrosse Media Poll here.

RankTeamPointsPrev
1Denver (5 - 0)495 (17)4
2Johns Hopkins (5 - 1)474 (4)8
3Army (5 - 0)468 (4)5
4Notre Dame (3 - 1)4496
5Virginia (3 - 1)4222
6Duke (5 - 1)393 (1)1
7Maryland (4 - 1)3893
8Cornell (3 - 1)3029
9Syracuse (5 - 2)2857

Last edited:

USA LACROSSE DIVISION I MEN’S TOP 20​

1. Denver, 5-0 (Prev: 5)
2. Notre Dame, 3-1 (Prev: 4)
3. Johns Hopkins, 5-1 (Prev: 8)
4. Duke, 5-1 (Prev: 1)
5. Army, 5-0 (Prev: 6)
6. Virginia, 3-1 (Prev: 2)
7. Maryland, 4-1 (Prev: 3)
8. Cornell, 3-1 (Prev: 7)
9. Penn State, 4-1 (Prev: 11)
10. Georgetown, 3-2 (Prev: 12)
11. Syracuse, 5-2 (Prev: 9)
12. Michigan, 5-1 (Prev: 13)
13. Penn, 3-2 (Prev: 16)
14. Yale, 2-1 (Prev: 10)
15. Princeton, 3-2 (Prev: 14)
16. Rutgers, 4-1 (Prev: 15)
17. Harvard, 5-0 (Prev: 18)
18. Richmond, 3-2 (Prev: 19)
19. Delaware, 2-2 (Prev: 17)
20. North Carolina, 3-2 (Prev: 20)

Also considered (alphabetical order): Colgate (4-3), High Point (4-2), UMass (4-1), NJIT (6-0), Ohio State (4-2), Quinnipiac (4-0), Towson (4-2)

GH1M01nWAAAQUcY

8) Syracuse​

Otto came up a goal short on Wednesday in a home thriller against Army, falling 14-13 in OT. This game was terrific. Both teams deserve recognition. Fiercely contested, with first class playmaking, controversy, tempo and tension – I loved it.

SU took 51 shots. Joey Spallina is a very nice player. The hype has been overwhelming. Has it created false expectations and pressure? Probably. Let’s face facts – He isn’t in the discussion for the Tewaaraton Trophy just yet. He may be down the road. He is highly skilled, an elite passer and distributor with perhaps one of the most advanced game IQ’s I’ve seen for a player of his age. He can read and diagnose the game faster than everybody. His mind is a weapon. But we have seen in losses to Maryland and Army that when covered by a top tier defenders (Ajax Zappitello & AJ Pilate) Spallina struggles to create his own high percentage scoring chances. Speed and separation quickness become an issue. This isn’t a revelation. Creating his own shot can be a challenge. Against Army, AJ Pilate locked him up and it appeared to lead to frustration and poor shot selection, especially in OT. That’s human nature. It’s understandable. A lesson to be applied going forward against ACC powers. And by the way, there are some of Spallina’s teammates who need to look deep into a mirror and figure out how to better contribute. This one was not on #22. Not the game I watched.

Everybody listen up. Spend less time worrying about the box score and individual accolades, instead pursue wins, and the awards will find you.

Joey is a great young man, he is heavily invested and cares deeply about lacrosse. He, OC Pat March and coach Gary Gait will figure it out, they’ll find solutions. You can count on that. This is a small speed bump on what will be a long and fruitful career. This setback will trigger growth.

And I don’t want to hear anybody talking about “pressure”. Don’t willingly put the #22 jersey on your back, run around social media promoting it and then complain about pressure. You invited this attention and scrutiny. Now deal with it.

Army was slow to slide to SU all night and it became a day when Orange midfielders had to be able to run by their man. One issue I have with SU’s offense is that many of the offensive players have the similar attributes and body types. They’re clones. So opposing teams can switch picks and not stress out. Like a basketball starting five, it’s helpful to have a differing cross section of size, length, speed and physical traits on your offense. I would expect Duke and Virginia to play the same styled defense as Army. Force SU ball carriers to beat their man and score unassisted goals. Orange midfielders had some success with the re-dodge on Wednesday.

And lastly, BTB goals that go viral on social media are only worth 1 point. At times I get the feeling that certain players are chasing style points, rather than making bread-and-butter plays. Respect the difference between functional creativity and show-boating.

On Saturday, they set a North American record for earliest Senior Day, celebrating on March 2. Joey Spallina has seven goals and was more active off-ball. Love to see his bounce back. That’s why he’s special, make the adjustments, analyze how to improve and incorporate.

#HHH postseason resume is very much a work in progress. I’d surmise that they’ll have to win two of three against Hopkins, North Carolina and Cornell if they don’t upset ND, UVA or Duke.

Orange and Hopkins take their iconic rivalry on the road to Charlotte, NC on Saturday.

Quint is pretty much spot on in that review.

"At times I get the feeling that certain players are chasing style points, rather than making bread-and-butter plays. Respect the difference between functional creativity and show-boating."

Quint is pretty much spot on in that review.

"At times I get the feeling that certain players are chasing style points, rather than making bread-and-butter plays. Respect the difference between functional creativity and show-boating."
100 percent. There is a time and place for it. When we lost the 3 goal lead against Army the offense continued being careless with the ball with the behind the back passing. Like they were in their back yard.

Quint nails it again. He's been spot on this season when it comes to the Orange.

He articulated much better than I did when it comes to Spallina. JSp has been locked up, Quint says he can't create his own shot, ...I'll add that when you aren't able to create your own shot, you won't command double teams and force hard slides. That's what has been missing from his game against the best. Speed and separation are an issue here but I also think he's too smart a lacrosse player not to figure it out.

100 percent. There is a time and place for it. When we lost the 3 goal lead against Army the offense continued being careless with the ball with the behind the back passing. Like they were in their back yard.

It's a major issue that probably cost them the Army game and hurt them early against Maryland. I think SU turned it over like 3 straight possessions and you could see the lead evaporating and the bad habits rearing their heads again. Gait has to reign some of that play in. I worry he's a little to hands off in running the free flowing offense, which is fine when Casey and Ryan Powell are running around or Mikey and a trove of 5 star middies. This isn't that era.

It's a major issue that probably cost them the Army game and hurt them early against Maryland. I think SU turned it over like 3 straight possessions and you could see the lead evaporating and the bad habits rearing their heads again. Gait has to reign some of that play in. I worry he's a little to hands off in running the free flowing offense, which is fine when Casey and Ryan Powell are running around or Mikey and a trove of 5 star middies. This isn't that era.
Agree. You have to know where you are in the game and cleanly execute the offense especially when the tide is turning.

65e5c8e4bbfec.jpg

Denver is the No. 1 men’s lacrosse team in the country.

The Pioneers are in the top spot in the Inside Lacrosse Media Poll for the first time since March of 2017 — and the first time under first-year head coach Matt Brown.

It was a stretch of chaos in college lacrosse, with two No. 1 teams from the ACC falling in a span of six days and an elite group of teams beating up on each other. The Pioneers (5-0) emerged from the rubble unscathed and take the top spot on the strength of wins against now-No. 2 Johns Hopkins and now-No. 8 Cornell.

The Blue Jays have faced a gauntlet to start the season, beating Virginia at Klöckner this weekend with the only blemish an OT loss vs. the Pioneers.

Army is undefeated and ranked No. 3. The Black Knights own notable wins over UMass, Rutgers and Syracuse.

Notre Dame, Virginia, Duke, Maryland, Cornell, Syracuse and Georgetown follow to make up the Top 10. This weekend, the sport’s historical powers face off as the Orange and Blue Jays meet at the Crown Lacrosse Classic in Charlotte, N.C. That will be a Top 10 matchup.

UMass enters the poll at No. 20.

Check out the full Inside Lacrosse Media Poll here.

RankTeamPointsPrev
1Denver (5 - 0)495 (17)4
2Johns Hopkins (5 - 1)474 (4)8
3Army (5 - 0)468 (4)5
4Notre Dame (3 - 1)4496
5Virginia (3 - 1)4222
6Duke (5 - 1)393 (1)1
7Maryland (4 - 1)3893
8Cornell (3 - 1)3029
9Syracuse (5 - 2)2857

Denver is #1 by default - they are undefeated and beat Hopkins and Cornell.
I don't think anyone believes Denver is really number 1 but they don't have a tough schedule for the rest of the season - Duke and Georgetown are the only tough games.

as much as i agree with you bout denver not truely 1. But they were able to finish games twice and one came back to win. So have to least give them some credit as they won finished two solid games vs solid teams. Reason why their 1 and cuse is not. Cuse wins both those games cause they def should have. They’re def 1 and undefeated. This weeks game vs hopkins will be huge. Win or lost either one will be huge. Clearly think we are more talented than denver but they were able to pull out wins as we did not. I would really really love for cuse to start this game hott and get nice lead while scoring everytime other team does so lead never falters. One can hope.

I sometimes feel we are so talented and smart lax iq of team that maby we lose little bit of playing with heart. Some players can see go all out like every play is their last while some give half effort at times. Guess just use to the cardiac cuse days and always finding a way to win. Hope we find a way this week.

9. Syracuse
Brown’s Vote: 11
The Orange have another stiff test coming up in Charlotte after splitting their Week 4 results.

An open net chance in sudden death for Christian Mulé could’ve made all the difference in how this Syracuse team is perceived so far through seven games, racking up five wins against Vermont, Colgate, Manhattan, Utah and most recently pulling away from the visiting High Point Panthers.

But while two early season OT losses to Maryland and Army in the Dome leave fans wanting more, a young team losing so narrowly isn't much to to fret over. They will learn from their late-game execution and build toward May.

More significantly than Mulé’s miss was his awesome teammate moment postgame, sticking up for Joey Spallina after Army’s AJ Pilate and Co. limited him to two assists and five missed shots. While he’s still feeling his way through elite defensemen, Spallina’s production against the rest of the country has been outstanding. He’s already at 47 points (21G, 26A) with a whopping 6.71 points per game.

Blue Jays eraser Scott V. Smith beckons.

Lemoyne was tied 5-5 at half with the #1 team in the country in year 1. Long live Daniel Sheehan

Down goes Denver today to Yale. #1 and #2 up for grabs
This is getting crazy. Something like the top 15 teams could have a shot at the final 4 based on the first 6 weeks. Cuse win against Hopkins is big but still a lot of work to do.

Harvard is 6-0 with their win over Michigan today.

Prediction:
Johns Hopkins will be in front of Maryland in the IL fan poll due to all the Hopkins homers.

Harvard is 6-0 with their win over Michigan today.

Prediction:
Johns Hopkins will be in front of Maryland in the IL fan poll due to all the Hopkins homers.
maryland looked horrendous yesterday

well think big part was weirdman didn’t play and maryland lost bulk of faceoffs which help give brown a lot of possessions. Maryland not use to having call so little so prob took them some time to adjust. But yes didn’t look good but sure weirdman being out n usually taking all faceoffs had part to play brown making it a game.

That's the sort of thing they will think.

I don't think the Terps were horrendous but rather unimpressive and just two weeks after beating a supposedly better Princeton team 13-7 on the same field.

I view it as perhaps a bit of a trap game and the Terps were missing Wierman.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom