Poor basketball IQ.... | Syracusefan.com

Poor basketball IQ....

UD1954

Scout Team
Just plain and simple...they have no idea what the difference is between a good or bad shot...

I missed the game live today but DVR'd it. I excitedly got home, poured myself a Grey Goose with a splash of cranberry juice on the rocks and put the game on. Half way through the first half all I kept thinking to myself was-

I mean wow. That was some display.

I have to disagree with the OP, this team has plenty of hoops iq. They were getting great shots but either didn't shoot it because they were scared or they missed it badly. I have never seen d1 players scared to shoot the ball and somehow we have two who start for us. How is that possible?

I hope a light came on for Joseph in the second half. He seemed much more aggressive. He is so quick that he can get a 15 footer anytime he wants.

How many likes can you have for a post? You nailed it. Our offense has been getting us very good looks all year. Kaleb and Tyler both seem to have had a little guy on their shoulder stopping them at trigger time with every open shot. Key to the rest of the season... Those 2 take that shot with confidence and,of course, NO post season ban.

The poor shot selection that stands out in my mind was when KJ feed Cooney on a semi-fast break, and Cooney pulled up and launched a 34 foot jump shot (which he missed) without a single SU player having gotten back under the basket to rebound. I guess he had been guarded so closely that he couldn't resist the rare open look.

The poor shot selection that stands out in my mind was when KJ feed Cooney on a semi-fast break, and Cooney pulled up and launched a 34 foot jump shot (which he missed) without a single SU player having gotten back under the basket to rebound. I guess he had been guarded so closely that he couldn't resist the rare open look.

Should a shooter be thinking about the number of rebounders available if his shot misses?

Should a shooter be thinking about the number of rebounders available if his shot misses?
That's the way I learned the game. You have to have some court awareness - which IMO is the main reason our fast break doesn't work. If the "numbers" aren't in your favor on a fast break, you pull the ball back out - that's Basketball 101. Launching a 34 ft jump shot is always there for the taking. On the play in question, the only 2 players under the basket were both wearing white jerseys, so there was a 0.0% chance of securing the rebound if the shot is missed.

In Cooney's defense, I think he had been frustrated by being face guarded the entire game (he better get used to it), found himself wide open, and was probably thinking in the back of his mind about igniting a rally. When a player makes a shot like that, it's one of the "No... no... YES!" moments.

That's the way I learned the game. You have to have some court awareness - which IMO is the main reason our fast break doesn't work. If the "numbers" aren't in your favor on a fast break, you pull the ball back out - that's Basketball 101. Launching a 34 ft jump shot is always there for the taking. On the play in question, the only 2 players under the basket were both wearing white jerseys, so there was a 0.0% chance of securing the rebound if the shot is missed.

In Cooney's defense, I think he had been frustrated by being face guarded the entire game (he better get used to it), found himself wide open, and was probably thinking in the back of his mind about igniting a rally. When a player makes a shot like that, it's one of the "No... no... YES!" moments.
One of the best times for a shooter to take/get a wide open shot is on a break. (the other is after an offensive rebound) Yeah, there may only be 1 teammate near the basket to rebound or even o compared to 2 or 3 of the other guys but if it is wide open, then it is not that bad a shot. And if the shooter makes it, then it might get him going. It happens all the time.

One of the best times for a shooter to take/get a wide open shot is on a break. (the other is after an offensive rebound) Yeah, there may only be 1 teammate near the basket to rebound or even o compared to 2 or 3 of the other guys but if it is wide open, then it is not that bad a shot. And if the shooter makes it, then it might get him going. It happens all the time.

Jimmy lee was a master of what Joel Mareinness called the "stop and pop". It's a great option on the fast break if you are used to doing it.

My thinking is that if a shooter is worrying about rebounders, he's like a tight rope walker thinking about what happens if he falls.
6oDIJjr.jpg

SWC75 said:
Jimmy lee was a master of what Joel Mareinness called the "stop and pop". It's a great option on the fast break if you are used to doing it.

My thinking is that if a shooter is worrying about rebounders, he's like a tight rope walker thinking about what happens if he falls.

Forgive me for nitpicking here, but a stop-and-pop is when the guy bringing the ball up on the break stops driving and takes an open jumper when the defender sags into the lane to defend a drive. When I learned the game, there was no 3 pointer (except in NBA) so the stop and pop was from the FT line.

Forgive me for nitpicking here, but a stop-and-pop is when the guy bringing the ball up on the break stops driving and takes an open jumper when the defender sags into the lane to defend a drive. When I learned the game, there was no 3 pointer (except in NBA) so the stop and pop was from the FT line.

That wasn't the way when Jimmy Lee did it. he wasn't the point guard. he was passed to as an option other than going to the basket. it doesn't have to be a three pointer, just a jump shot as an alternative to challenging a defender.

SWC75 said:

Yes.

A practice issue every time it happens.

In this case he wasn't getting open so he pulled an open trigger

If its your first or second best shooter, I say usually no, a shooter is going to make the shot. If its your third-forth best hes probably wide open so as long as hes taking it confidently same thing just not as many attempts.
The bigger question is even if its a wide open high percentage shot is that the shot you wanted in that situation? You will see JB yell at them for taking a three early in the shot clock or not working the ball around alittle more or attacking and getting to the line all the time. Other times JB won't be upset if they miss 6-7 that are half way down and take a 12 point deficit, it depends.

The problem wasn't poor basketball iq. Plain and simple the team didnt rebound on defense well,
didn't cover the clemson shooters who buried like 8 threes six more then us and from the same angles all game.And we shot the ball bad and appeared unconfident on a lot of them. Clemson didn't turn the ball over, we didn't get transition points, and we usually average around 16 assists we had half of that. We went on a short run but couldn't keep it going. That's the end result. That's not poor basketball iq, thats just the other team played better. Pretty plain and simple I wouldn't take this game serious or dwell on it, on don't know why many of us have.

outrebounded by 10 - thats 8 points.
outshot from three by 6 buckets another 18 points
only 7 assists we averave 16 thats another 20 points.
45% vs 36% from field goal thats another 8-20 points there.
turnover margin equal no transition buckets.

Rak, G, and Cooney have to play 40 minutes all year and carry this team on their back at full hustle speed. They are going to have some rough moments, its good they have it together in the same game, rather then each in different games.

Last edited:
did cooney really take a shot from 35 ft? 25 maybe but i dont recall a shot from the center jump circle. and really if he shoots in in rythym his chances are not much worse than any other 3 pt shot he takes and better than many of the forced ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom