Poor coaching down the stretch | Syracusefan.com

Poor coaching down the stretch

jec1521

2nd String
I know JB is awesome, and we all love him. But he made some mistakes in the last 3.5 minutes that cost us the game.

Brandon got us a nice lead with 3:30 left. How in the hell does he not even touch the ball the rest of regulation?? We didnt even try to get it to him. He is our senior leader. That is what hes supposed to do. It seemed as though JB wanted MCW to have the ball, for whatever reason... Not sure what that reason is. The only reason I can come up with is to have him learn and get used to it for later in the year. Although, I doubt thats the case, since JB has shown that he "plays to win that game."

Also, what is with the small lineup? I could see if we had a great guard coming off the bench, but Cooney does not bring us much more than a body. We gave up a couple baskets because of Brandon not knowing how to play the back of the zone.

Even with all of this, we still had a chance at the end if MCW could hit both of those free throws. But this one leaves a sour taste in my mouth the way we played and the way JB coached the last few possessions.

Because MCW is the point guard, and Triche is the shooting guard?

Or should JB have benched MCW the last 3:00 and played Triche - Cooney - Fair - Rak - DC?

Or should JB have benched MCW the last 3:00 and played Triche - Cooney - Fair - Rak - DC?

Triche brings the ball up many times during the game. And if I remember correctly, he was the starting point guard to a pretty good team in 2010...

What use does he serve sitting at the corner 3-pt line? He showed that he could get into the lane at will, and honestly, his handle is much more reliable than MCW. That freshman scrub PG nova has almost stripped it from him 3 times.

Thats BS. He froze the game with 2 and half left and down 2 big guys. We had the game won and we couldnt make a FT to close it out. He made no mistakes the last 3.5 minutes.

Make a damn FT and we win. Bottom line.

Im not complaining about stalling. But BT should have had it over MCW.

Things seemed to work okay against Louisville's pressure last week when MCW was playing off the ball and Triche was handling it more...

It's 2013, "combo guards" have been the in thing for a long time...and that's what we have. They can be interchangable, and Triche should've had the ball in hands more and MCW off the ball more down the stretch.

Only thing I blame JB for is not making Brandon the option to get the ball on the inbound. Mike has shown he will choke at the line in the end of games which he did and if he just hits one FT we aren't having any of this discussion. Stall ball is fine, it worked perfectly but Mike wanted to be the hero and couldn't pull it off this game. Maybe this will wake the team up that they aren't that good.

Im not complaining about stalling. But BT should have had it over MCW.

It's not the stall. It's who we had with the ball. Based on who was hot, game flow, experience, and repeated failures by MCW. Pretty obvious.

Thats BS. He froze the game with 2 and half left and down 2 big guys. We had the game won and we couldnt make a FT to close it out. He made no mistakes the last 3.5 minutes.

or get a rebound. Cripes if fair had fouled on the rebound, we win the game

Unlike. JB is not infallible. Triche should of had the ball on at least one of those possessions.

I know JB is awesome, and we all love him. But he made some mistakes in the last 3.5 minutes that cost us the game.

Brandon got us a nice lead with 3:30 left. How in the hell does he not even touch the ball the rest of regulation?? We didnt even try to get it to him. He is our senior leader. That is what hes supposed to do. It seemed as though JB wanted MCW to have the ball, for whatever reason... Not sure what that reason is. The only reason I can come up with is to have him learn and get used to it for later in the year. Although, I doubt thats the case, since JB has shown that he "plays to win that game."

Also, what is with the small lineup? I could see if we had a great guard coming off the bench, but Cooney does not bring us much more than a body. We gave up a couple baskets because of Brandon not knowing how to play the back of the zone.

Even with all of this, we still had a chance at the end if MCW could hit both of those free throws. But this one leaves a sour taste in my mouth the way we played and the way JB coached the last few possessions.

I NEVER criticize Boeheim and I mean never. Having said that, I agree 100% with your comments. It should have been Triche even though Mike has come up big for us at the end of previous games.4 straight possessions and 4 empties for MCW when Triche was taking over the game. Sorry but coach needes to take this one on himself.

or get a rebound. Cripes if fair had fouled on the rebound, we win the game
That's why Coleman should have been in instead of Cooney. If Cooney was playing well, fine. But he has only played well for about a minute stretch all year

Small lineup is awful; Boeheim put Triche into a terrible position two games in a row. Kid can't defend the corner and the wing and we can't blame him - he's played exclusively at guard for like a decade.

Not benching Carter-Williams for his stupid play doesn't seem to get the message across. When he rifles the pass at Christmas and then quits on the next defensive possession, he should sit for a minute or so. When he doesn't, he gets a clear message: dumb and selfish play will be tolerated.

How about a two shot foul late in regulation instead of letting Villanova get off that game tying 3 pointer?

Sure. Because counting on an SU team to make a free throw is always the best bet. And, please explain how the strategy was implemented with some precognition that there would be that specific FT to make. We made some FTs and missed some. If your plan demands we shoot 100% from the line in the last two minutes, it's a flawed plan.

Sure. Because counting on an SU team to make a free throw is always the best bet. And, please explain how the strategy was implemented with some precognition that there would be that specific FT to make. We made some FTs and missed some. If your plan demands we shoot 100% from the line in the last two minutes, it's a flawed plan.

It doesnt matter the plan. The stall worked. If you can tell me in all honesty that you wouldnt take us having to make one, ONE ft to seal a game you are lying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can see the Coleman for Cooney at least on D, but the reason we lost was Nova got most of the 50/50 balls. Simply they outquicked us this morning.

It doesnt matter the plan. The stall worked. If you can tell me in all honesty that you wouldnt take us having to make one, ONE ft to seal a game you are lying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on who's shooting. MCW/Rak/DC2/Baye...NFW

Triche came hard to the ball on a couple occasions when MCW had it and he absolutely refused to give it up. Does JB or Triche then steal it from him?

He should have given Grant a rest when he picked up his 4th with 8+ minutes to go. He didn't use any TO's in the second half. He could have set up a play coming out of the stalls, set up offense and defense with his lineups, gotten a better last shot at the end of regulation, given overworked players a rest, etc. I also think he should have gotten Cooney in sooner to give the guards a rest / perspective.

I usually don't complain about JB's coaching but today he was out coached.

When up by 3 u with 14 seconds to play and they are inbounding and need a 3 to force OT u have some options. You can let them inbound and foul on the floor. They then have to shoot FTs. They make 2 then SU with ball less then 10 seconds and they have to foul SU. Not many coaches will opt for this given SUs horrid FT shooting. And if they brick the second free throw and get rebound they can win with a three (unless fouled again).
Actually this is JB's reason for not fouling.
However when down by three Never not (double negs) Never not defend against the three. If they shoot within 5 seconds and get rebound inside 3 line foul immediately. CJ failed to do this. And the rebounder kicks to a 3 point shooter who sends it into OT. Why doesn't JB go MM here?? He always says the zone allows for threes but over course of game we expect the opposing team to die by the 3s.! Well they need a 3 and the zone allowed it. So they didn't die they lived!

1. The flaw in your 'logic' is an assumption that, even if the "ONE" FT you require happens to be made, Nova plays out the rest of the game in the same way. They wouldn't. You can't assume a win with the made FT. They would have changed their approach on the subsequent possessions, and maybe we win, maybe we lose by more.

2. The 'stall' was for more than 3 minutes. A lot happened in that time — not just one missed FT.

3. The stall didn't work. We lost. By your logic, all positive results are credited to JB and negative results are aberrations in the time/space continuum. You could just as easily assume that with the ball, up 6, with the largest late lead of the game, if we had continued to play, we might have won by 10 or 12 instead of hoping to survive a nail biter on the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom