poor returns | Syracusefan.com

poor returns

tbonezone

Living Legend
11 games . 12 punt returns. 39 yards.
and let's just drop the "speedy and dangerous" rep of kobena cuz if he makes it to the 20 we're lucky.

The KO return game has really regressed over the season - like the rest of the team. But the idea of coaching special teams by committee has got to be a big part of the problem.

What were they working on the past 2 weeks , they seriously looked like they were running at their defenders.

11 games . 12 punt returns. 39 yards.
and let's just drop the "speedy and dangerous" rep of kobena cuz if he makes it to the 20 we're lucky.
How about burning a time out right before the punt, to set up Rene's 30th straight fair catch? There's probably something to having a special teams coach. Probably why every other team has one.
Remember when special teams were a weapon for us? Tommy Kane, Ismail, Johnson, Spotwood - KOs and punts back for touchdowns or field position changers. Kickers who could reach the endzone on kickoffs, who were automatic on field goals, punters who set up our gunners to lay out opposing team return men. Punt blocks for scoop and scores. This is a third of the game we have been giving up on for years.

frankly i'm amazed the kickoff that went supposedly between the returners legs wasn't reviewed. hard to believe the ball wasn't touched and now we're talking safety.

Is there anything that isn't disgusting regarding our performance... I think one of the more subtle failures, but equally gut-wrenching, was that after about 300 yards over two games, we failed to really let Lemon do work. Guess what coaches, forget all the trickeration, lets cut the playbook to 12 pages of things we do really well and get after it.

i don't know if anyone watches the punt returns, but 98% of the air catches need to be fair caught or rene is gonna get drilled and maybe fumble. we block nobody coming down field on punt returns. always 2-3 defenders there daring him to return it.

i don't know if anyone watches the punt returns, but 98% of the air catches need to be fair caught or rene is gonna get drilled and maybe fumble. we block nobody coming down field on punt returns. always 2-3 defenders there daring him to return it.
We don't go for the block and we don't set up a return. What exactly do we do on punts? Watch for the fake?

We don't go for the block and we don't set up a return. What exactly do we do on punts? Watch for the fake?

you'll have to ask the ST coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom