Positives | Syracusefan.com

Positives

Ozcuse

All American
1) The eternal optimist SU fans with gambling problems may be able to feed their kids this week!

What other positives can you add?

1) The eternal optimist SU fans with gambling problems may be able to feed their kids this week!

What other positives can you add?
Rice and beans and pasta for all!

Garrett Williams, R-Fr. Really solid at Corner again today.
Tucker ... speed and moves. Hope to see more snaps for him, trading off with JJ. Frosh.
Ja'Had Carter ... leading tackler today. Frosh.
Wax ... got in later, but 2 solo tackles and looked good. Frosh.
Thomspon. 5 total tackles. Was all over the field. Frosh.
Cantin-Arku ... love his size, speed, range and moxie. Only a soph.
Queely (RS soph) and C. Jackson (R-Fr) ... working on route depth and separation. showing potential.
Cooney - boom city. A weapon.

Last edited:
We will win 2 of the next 3. Then lose out until somehow beating ND. That fits pretty much every season outside of 2018.

There are lots of bright spots. This defense, despite youth all over the field and sub par line play, is playing at a high level. We saw a glimpse of the running game with Tucker and Jordan. When it is straight zone blocking up front and the backs are patient we can run very effectively. We're trying to do too much advanced stuff in the run game and its not working, need to just keep it simple and be content to build slowly.
The constant maligning of the O-line and receivers needs to stop. Its just not true. Are they great? No, obviously not. But they are not abysmal like some here make them out to be.

There are lots of bright spots. This defense, despite youth all over the field and sub par line play, is playing at a high level. We saw a glimpse of the running game with Tucker and Jordan.

The constant maligning of the O-line and receivers needs to stop. Its just not true. Are they great? No, obviously not. But they are not abysmal like some here make them out to be.
7 sacks, though. 7 sacks the game before. Something is very, very wrong. Very wrong

I am positively sure that this was the worst offensive performance I have seen since the Greg Robinson days. Even last week there was hope

I am positively sure that this was the worst offensive performance I have seen since the Greg Robinson days. Even last week there was hope

I felt the same way, but I also know that feelings don't always correlate with reality. So I looked up the stats from GRob's tenure. I wish I could say I hadn't actually done that, but today's slate of games were that bad.

I know its only 2 games into the season, but we are averaging 187 offensive yards and 8 points per game. GRob's worst year, by record and statistically, was his first in 2005. That year, we averaged 257 offensive yards and 13.8 ppg. My knee jerk reaction was "Big East then/ACC now", and "We've played 2 Top 25 teams this year". But our non-conference slate that year was FSU, ND, UVA (all top 25 when we played them), and Buffalo. Looking at the game by game stats, we gained more yards against UVA, FSU, and ND that year than we have in either of our games this year. We also scored as many or more points against all of them than either of our games this year. Our worst game offensively was our season opener against WVU, in which we had 7 points and 103 yards of total offense (I still vividly remember that frustrating game, 15 years later).

Defensively, we are averaging 402.5 yards and 26 ppg allowed. In 2005 we averaged 372 yards and 26.8 ppg allowed.

So, statistically through 2 games, we are as bad as we were in GRob's worst year. We need to get some things corrected pretty quickly.

I felt the same way, but I also know that feelings don't always correlate with reality. So I looked up the stats from GRob's tenure. I wish I could say I hadn't actually done that, but today's slate of games were that bad.

I know its only 2 games into the season, but we are averaging 187 offensive yards and 8 points per game. GRob's worst year, by record and statistically, was his first in 2005. That year, we averaged 257 offensive yards and 13.8 ppg. My knee jerk reaction was "Big East then/ACC now", and "We've played 2 Top 25 teams this year". But our non-conference slate that year was FSU, ND, UVA (all top 25 when we played them), and Buffalo. Looking at the game by game stats, we gained more yards against UVA, FSU, and ND that year than we have in either of our games this year. We also scored as many or more points against all of them than either of our games this year. Our worst game offensively was our season opener against WVU, in which we had 7 points and 103 yards of total offense (I still vividly remember that frustrating game, 15 years later).

Defensively, we are averaging 402.5 yards and 26 ppg allowed. In 2005 we averaged 372 yards and 26.8 ppg allowed.

So, statistically through 2 games, we are as bad as we were in GRob's worst year. We need to get some things corrected pretty quickly.
That is absolutely horrifying. I'm with you. I wish you didn't look up these stats either

and college football is way more of an offensive game now versus 2005.Making this offense that much more, yes, offensive

7 sacks, though. 7 sacks the game before. Something is very, very wrong. Very wrong
Again, the o line is part of that, without a doubt. Vettorello was outright abused last week and the close rewatch that I did on the NC game had me cussing at Tisdale too. Servais got pantsed a few times today. That stuff happens and the o line has to own it.
But.
Someone do me a favor and take a sample of pass plays and count the seconds for the ball to come out. I want to see average Rex vs average Tommy. And they have to include pass plays where the ball isn't thrown.
This is a big part of it. I don't know what the numbers are but I would bet good money that Rex is right around 2-2.5 seconds and Tommy is close to 5. You just can't do that. You gotta get the ball out, and in this offense it's got to be out right away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom