Post-Miami game thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Post-Miami game thoughts

jekelish

Living Legend
I've been working most of the day so I haven't had a chance to read any of the board yet, and I don't think we need a general recap of the game, so I didn't go in that direction. Instead, I decided to talk about something Syracuse is excelling at this year in several areas, and has historically been when it comes to free throws: being consistently inconsistent.

http://.com/orange-consistently-inconsistent-in-loss-to-miami/

your "article" or post or whatever would mean a lot more if you provided some context for the free throw shooting percentages. based on your article I don't know if they are good or bad. what is the average? is there a breakdown for end of game situations? you haven't explained why the free throw shooting is poor, unless you are stating that it is good, which is not discernible from your analysis.

your "article" or post or whatever would mean a lot more if you provided some context for the free throw shooting percentages. based on your article I don't know if they are good or bad. what is the average? is there a breakdown for end of game situations? you haven't explained why the free throw shooting is poor, unless you are stating that it is good, which is not discernible from your analysis.
Gee, I guess mentioning that we've got a bad reputation for free throw shooting and saying it's poor doesn't say that it's BAD. Putting it another way: the current 50th best free throw shooting team in the country is shooting 72.9%. The 135th team in the country shoots 70%.

I guess that's what I get for giving you the benefit of the doubt in realizing that we're a crappy free throw shooting team. Good lord, man. Have some sense.

"Hitting just 66.2%"
"horrendous reputation at the free throw line"
"shot so poorly"

You're right, I can see why you had so much trouble determining whether I was saying we're good or bad at the line.

Gee, I guess mentioning that we've got a bad reputation for free throw shooting and saying it's poor doesn't say that it's BAD. Putting it another way: the current 50th best free throw shooting team in the country is shooting 72.9%. The 135th team in the country shoots 70%.

I guess that's what I get for giving you the benefit of the doubt in realizing that we're a crappy free throw shooting team. Good lord, man. Have some sense.

"Hitting just 66.2%"
"horrendous reputation at the free throw line"
"shot so poorly"

You're right, I can see why you had so much trouble determining whether I was saying we're good or bad at the line.
that provides context. as the casual reader how am I supposed to know what is a good %? 66? 70? 72? you are the one trying to blog about games, I am just trying to help you out

that provides context. as the casual reader how am I supposed to know what is a good %? 66? 70? 72? you are the one trying to blog about games, I am just trying to help you out
I assume you are someone who has watched basketball before. My mistake.

And thanks, I'm pretty sure I don't need your help on learning how to write successfully, I've got that covered.

well so based on your analysis, 66% is bad, 72% is ok I guess. that is 6%. in a game where you shoot 20 free throws that is 1 more make. so there is 1 more point and we lose anyway. pinning the game on free throws, well, pretty lame.

well so based on your analysis, 66% is bad, 72% is ok I guess. that is 6%. in a game where you shoot 20 free throws that is 1 more make. so there is 1 more point and we lose anyway. pinning the game on free throws, well, pretty lame.
Really? So pinning a four point loss on free throws in a game we went 8-of-19? That's lame?

Okay then chief. You go have yourself a nice night.

Really? So pinning a four point loss on free throws in a game we went 8-of-19? That's lame?

Okay then chief. You go have yourself a nice night.
well, maybe the point of your blog post would be clearer if you said hey, we typically make 66% free throws, the average is 72%. today we only made 40-something% and that was the difference of X-points. you haven't established any of these criteria for not only the casual reader or for virtually any reader to know what the hell you are talking about. it's constructive criticism don't be so defensive.

Wow. Its one thing to disagree but going on the offensive out of the gate. Maybe let the anger settle before posting dude. Its an article and a well written one. To go after semantics is just picking an argument.

You're ridiculous! Yesterday was all about missed free throws! We make a reasonably acceptable 75-80% and nothing else matters...we win! Miami is a good team and you can't leave 9 points at the line and expect to win...

You're ridiculous! Yesterday was all about missed free throws! We make a reasonably acceptable 75-80% and nothing else matters...we win! Miami is a good team and you can't leave 9 points at the line and expect to win...
75-80% would be quite good actually, few teams average that kind of %. However, if the team manages just 68% from the line yesterday that's 5 more points and a theoretical win.

You write the truth: an up and down group of kids that’s simply unable to put together a full 40 minutes of solid basketball.

I don't know what else is left to say, although I suspect we will all say plenty before this season is over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom