Post-Standard Syracuse Basketball All-Decade Team | Syracusefan.com

Post-Standard Syracuse Basketball All-Decade Team

Battle and Triche shows you how bad our scoring guards have been.

Rak had a great SR year but he was an underachiever before then. Fab Melo belongs there over him. Why no Rick?

Does 2009-2010 count? If so then AO at C and Andy should be SG. Would consider Malachi at SG too.

Rak had a great SR year but he was an underachiever before then. Fab Melo belongs there over him. Why no Rick?

Does 2009-2010 count? If so then AO at C and Andy should be SG. Would consider Malachi at SG too.

What's your reasoning for Malachi? He only got hot during the Tournament. Gbinjie was the straw that stirred the drink in 2015-16.

What's your reasoning for Malachi? He only got hot during the Tournament. Gbinjie was the straw that stirred the drink in 2015-16.

Still think that puts him ahead of Triche and Battle.

I’d be fine with Dion first and Triche 2nd. CJ would be my pick for player of the decade.

great talent . but thought wesley kinda disappeared in big games down the stretch. wish we had him longer.

Last edited:

Malachi didn’t play sg and had one great game. He shot the same as Cooney from 3 that year.

I'd put Rak on par with Malachi for his great full year, and his third team all-american honor.

But Triche and CJ are my top 2

Don't know how Dion Waiters was omitted from this list. His sophomore year was unreal and he was a sixth man.
agreed. I can sort of understand the omissions of Waiters and Grant with the idea that they each only had one stellar season, but then they include Ennis, so it’s a bit of a head scratcher. I’d also go with Arinze over Rak, even though he only played one year in the 2010s. I loved AO. He was unstoppable when we needed a bucket. We just didn’t need to rely on him as much because of Wes and Andy knocking down 3s.

My bigger issue is with the Post Standard’s “Most Memorable Moments of the Decade” list. Several egregious omissions and many head scratching inclusions. Three were moments we’d all rather forget—AO getting injured in the BET, Fab getting declared ineligible, and JBs jacket tossing-tirade at Duke. I guess I can get on board with the last one since it’s become iconic, but I’d rather have the first SU-Duke game in the Dome (which we won in front of a record crowd) in the top 5. It was one of the best college games of the regular season, lived up to all the insane hype, and was an OT thriller—and it’s not even on their list!! Also, where is Syracuse dominating overall #1 seed Indiana in the Sweet 16 on our march to the 2013 Final Four. That HAS to be included. Where’s Syracuse beating Nova on College Game Day in the Dome in 2010 (with perhaps our best Syracuse team ever)? It was a battle of two top 10 teams and vaulted us to #1 in the country. Beating Gtown in the final 2013 Big East tourney should be in the top 3, but it’s all the way down at #9. I’d also put in the Syracuse thriller victory over Wisconsin in the 2012 Sweet16. It was widely considered one of the best games of that year’s tourney. I understand having the Gillon and Ennis buzzer beaters on the list but I think they should be farther down. Tourney wins hold much more importance. You could even argue for including the win over #1 Louisville on their home floor in 2013. Any others I’m missing? The Gonzaga comeback in the 2016 Sweet 16?

I’d rather have the first SU-Duke game in the Dome (which we won in front of a record crowd) in the top 5. It was one of the best college games of the regular season, lived up to all the insane hype, and was an OT thriller—and it’s not even on their list!! Also, where is Syracuse dominating overall #1 seed Indiana in the Sweet 16 on our march to the 2013 Final Four. That HAS to be included. Where’s Syracuse beating Nova on College Game Day in the Dome in 2010 (with perhaps our best Syracuse team ever)? It was a battle of two top 10 teams and vaulted us to #1 in the country. Beating Gtown in the final 2013 Big East tourney should be in the top 3, but it’s all the way down at #9. I’d also put in the Syracuse thriller victory over Wisconsin in the 2012 Sweet16. It was widely considered one of the best games of that year’s tourney. I understand having the Gillon and Ennis buzzer beaters on the list but I think they should be farther down. Tourney wins hold much more importance. You could even argue for including the win over #1 Louisville on their home floor in 2013. Any others I’m missing? The Gonzaga comeback in the 2016 Sweet 16?
Great post. Some people feel those games weren't that long ago and some feel they were forever ago. We had some great wins this past decade.

I still loved Ennis as our top decade PG. MCW is a very close second but I thought Ennis was a more complete player

Surprised so many are high on triche who only shot well as a frosh and couldn't break anyone down off the dribble -- for me, I'd take MCW/Dion/G every day and twice on sunday on over him. That's not to say he was a bad player but certainly not a great player, IMO.

If we're including 09-10 then just make the team Wes, RJ, AO, Joseph, Rautins and Scoop (yes, I realize that's six) and if you want to include triche fine and call it a day. If you want to throw CJ on there fine, but that team was the team. So much fun to watch. Loved that group.

If we're not -- then I'm going CJ/Lydon/Ennis/Dion/MCW and sleeping well at night. 6th man is Rak and 7th is Fab.

Surprised so many are high on triche who only shot well as a frosh and couldn't break anyone down off the dribble -- for me, I'd take MCW/Dion/G every day and twice on sunday on over him. That's not to say he was a bad player but certainly not a great player, IMO.

If we're including 09-10 then just make the team Wes, RJ, AO, Joseph, Rautins and Scoop (yes, I realize that's six) and if you want to include triche fine and call it a day. If you want to throw CJ on there fine, but that team was the team. So much fun to watch. Loved that group.

If we're not -- then I'm going CJ/Lydon/Ennis/Dion/MCW and sleeping well at night. 6th man is Rak and 7th is Fab.

Triche was as good going to the basket as Battle and had PG skills. Also 2nd leading scorer on FF team. He should be 2nd team. Gbinije was really great, but for a year and a half.

Can we all agree that the more recent guys basically had better numbers because the teams were not as good. If CJ or Triche we’re on this team they would probably get 15-20 shots a game based on the lack of good players surrounding them.

great talent . but thought wesley kinda disappeared in big games down the stretch. wish we had him longer.
If we created a top ten post list of the last decade...this one would be near the top.Positively priceless. “Disappeared in big games”
Sorry, I had to say it again out loud.