Post SU-NC State thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Post SU-NC State thoughts

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
Will start with the good:
  • I love Mikel Jones-I believe he is our best LB in 20 years. No matter what's going on around him, you can always count on him to show up. He's not just a great player-He is a leader and the heart and soul of our Dfense
  • Speaking of our Defense, they played much better than the final score indicates. Held Nc State scoreless for a while in the 1st half, in spite of the Offense doing nothing
  • Speaking of offense, I knew it would be a long day when we couldn't even get a FG out of a drive where NC State had 3 15-yard penalties. First half scoring continues to be a struggle for us
  • Very disappointed in the blocking of our skill position players, which has been a problem now several years. I'm a big fan of Alford, but several times, he showed zero interest in blocking, where a decent block could have been nice yardage for us. Tucker is obviously an excellent runner, but continues to struggle as a blocker, as did Lutz in limited time. Our best skill position blocker is probably Shrader.
  • As I mentioned earlier in the season, Shrader is the Anti-Devito, for good or bad. Is fearless, strong, and has great instincts. The only problem is he can rarely complete a pass over 20 yards and the Defense knows it. SO many throws to wide-open receivers were very short and the receivers didn't have a chance. I hope it is due to injury because I don't know if you can just start to throw a deep ball at this point in your career (similar to TD not learning how to throw on the run/under pressure). If he can't throw it, we will always be limited with him under center, as our offense hasn't been the same since BC seemed to figure that out.
  • Other than a few games this year before other defenses seemed to figure Shrader out, we really haven't been able to score for 3 years now. I hope Shrader or one of our QB's can figure it out.
  • ST hurt us again. That 97-yard kickoff return right after we scored was so Syracuse under Dino. It seems that very often after we have a big score, we give up a score right afterward. Momentum killer.
  • Our OL wasn't great, but wasn't terrible
  • Looks like Andre has got himself back
  • Defense played hard-definitely our best coached unit
  • We're going to give up points to Pitt-Can we score enough to make it a game?

Last edited:
My post game thought is that one of our linemen might have a more accurate arm than our QB.

If we cannot pass and our WRs cannot block, why are we not using 2-3 TEs like Utah did last night? Or even 2 RB sets? We miss Elmore.

None of what we do on O makes sense. Feels like they are winging it.

If we cannot pass and our WRs cannot block, why are we not using 2-3 TEs like Utah did last night? Or even 2 RB sets? We miss Elmore.

None of what we do on O makes sense. Feels like they are winging it.
Because our tight ends are not very good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom