RIP Bobby Bowden | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

RIP Bobby Bowden

Didn't realize he was that old. The man was a legend. One of the all time greats and a class act. Rip Coach.

Everyone has a ledger and you can't erase things from it. You have to look at both sides.

When I think of Bobby Bowden, I think of the 1978 SU- Florida State opening game. "Hurley for Heisman" banners were all over the field. we got first downs on our first 3-4 plays that's to Bill's dazzling play. At the end of the last play, two guys tackled him but didn't bring him to the ground. Instead they stood him up, pulled his arms part while a third guy lowered his helmet and speared Bill in the ribs, ending his season. we went 3-8. Nineteen years later, Tommy Bowden's Tulane team was about to beat us when TeBucky Jones picked off a pass and took it the distance to clinch a 30-19 win. Fifty yards behind the play, our outstanding linebacker Antwaune Ponds, got clipped - the old-fashioned definition: hitting a guy from behind in the legs. His knee got torn up and he was never the same. people said "Well, that's what you get for playing a Bowden team."

On the positive side of the ledger, he did express regret that we got elbowed out of the first ACC deal and scheduled a game in the Dome to help us out. That counts, too.

The punishment has to fit the crime and if somebody asked me if, in revenge I would want Bobby to get pancreatic cancer, I would certainly say "No".

But the folksy, pious "he did things right" storyline wears a bit thin with me.

Everyone has a ledger and you can't erase things from it. You have to look at both sides.

When I think of Bobby Bowden, I think of the 1978 SU- Florida State opening game. "Hurley for Heisman" banners were all over the field. we got first downs on our first 3-4 plays that's to Bill's dazzling play. At the end of the last play, two guys tackled him but didn't bring him to the ground. Instead they stood him up, pulled his arms part while a third guy lowered his helmet and speared Bill in the ribs, ending his season. we went 3-8. Nineteen years later, Tommy Bowden's Tulane team was about to beat us when TeBucky Jones picked off a pass and took it the distance to clinch a 30-19 win. Fifty yards behind the play, our outstanding linebacker Antwaune Ponds, got clipped - the old-fashioned definition: hitting a guy from behind in the legs. His knee got torn up and he was never the same. people said "Well, that's what you get for playing a Bowden team."

On the positive side of the ledger, he did express regret that we got elbowed out of the first ACC deal and scheduled a game in the Dome to help us out. That counts, too.

The punishment has to fit the crime and if somebody asked me if, in revenge I would want Bobby to get pancreatic cancer, I would certainly say "No".

But the folksy, pious "he did things right" storyline wears a bit thin with me.
Including the Tulane game, which Bobby had nothing to do with, just because of "what people said" seems odd.

Including the Tulane game, which Bobby had nothing to do with, just because of "what people said" seems odd.

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, especially when they are in the same profession. There was no doubt about it's relevance in the discussions after that game.

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, especially when they are in the same profession. There was no doubt about it's relevance in the discussions after that game.
By discussions, are you referring to sports radio, newspapers or among your friends? Just curious as I haven't lived locally in many years.

By discussions, are you referring to sports radio, newspapers or among your friends? Just curious as I haven't lived locally in many years.

All, as I recall. "He's a Bowden..."

All, as I recall. "He's a Bowden..."
Well I'm afraid your "recall" isn't that great in this situation and has some of the facts confused. Ponds played in every game that season in1997 and led the team in tackles, so I don't think his knee was torn up to the extent that you indicate on that play. He DID get hurt in 1995 vs Pitt and fractured the fibula of his left leg in two places and his tibia in one place and got his ankle bone out of joint.

What DID happen vs Tulane is Tebucky got the interception and there was a clipping penalty. Rod Gadson was the player who got clipped. After the game, Antwaune was caught on videotape spitting on the Tulane strength and conditioning coach and claims he used a racial slur.

There are plenty of things to be critical of Bobby - the Free Shoes University and academic scandals. I was too young for the Hurley play. But I have a hard time criticizing him for this Tulane situation when he was 1200 miles away. But I have been reading your posts long enough to know that you won't reconsider your opinion, so I wish you well and have a good night.

Last edited:
Well I'm afraid your "recall" isn't that great in this situation and has some of the facts confused. Ponds played in every game that season in1997 and led the team in tackles, so I don't think his knee was torn up to the extent that you indicate on that play. He DID get hurt in 1995 vs Pitt and fractured the fibula of his left leg in two places and his tibia in one place and got his ankle bone out of joint.

What DID happen vs Tulane is Tebucky got the interception and there was a clipping penalty. Rod Gadson was the player who got clipped. After the game, Antwaune was caught on videotape spitting on the Tulane strength and conditioning coach and claims he used a racial slur.

There are plenty of things to be critical of Bobby - the Free Shoes University and academic scandals. I was too young for the Hurley play. But I have a hard time criticizing him for this Tulane situation when he was 1200 miles away. But I have been reading your posts long enough to know that you won't reconsider your opinion, so I wish you well and have a good night.

Well, that certainly did cause me to re-examine my memory on the incident. I wasn't able to come up with a reference to contradict what you've said. Here's what I think happened: Ponds was, indeed hurt in 1995 vs. Pittsburgh. I am still sure he was clipped on that play but nothing was called as he would have been a blocker and the play was way past him at that point and they were already calling the clip on Gadson. I think Ponds anger was that somebody was going at his knees after he'd had them surgically repaired and that's what the post game rhetoric was about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom