Premier League 2021-2022 | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Premier League 2021-2022

Phillipe Coutinho's debut at Aston Villa showed what talent he has, and what a good fit he is in England. A goal and an assist within his first 14 minutes on the pitch as a sub vs. Man United to gain a draw from two down. Villa also added a fine Left Back in Lucas Digne (who Chelsea was after ...). Villa is only a couple players away from being a contender for Top 4 (a really good defensive midfielder, another striker, and maybe a right back).

Phillipe Coutinho's debut at Aston Villa showed what talent he has, and what a good fit he is in England. A goal and an assist within his first 14 minutes on the pitch as a sub vs. Man United to gain a draw from two down. Villa also added a fine Left Back in Lucas Digne (who Chelsea was after ...). Villa is only a couple players away from being a contender for Top 4 (a really good defensive midfielder, another striker, and maybe a right back).
Chelsea is falling apart and will be losing some players next transfer window. I also think the Lukaku marriage is beyond repair at this point already.

Tuchel isn't playing players at their best position and it's causing a lot of issues.

Villa could make a move but are too far back at this point.

West Ham and Arsenal are playing well, but will form hold the remainder of the season?

Tottenham and Man U are hanging around, and Man U has way too much talent to be where they are. I think they make a move up the table and finish out top 4.

Top ten end of season
Man City
Liverpool
Man U
Tottenham
West Ham
Arsenal
Chelsea
Aston Villa
Wolverton
Leicester

Chelsea is falling apart and will be losing some players next transfer window. I also think the Lukaku marriage is beyond repair at this point already.

Tuchel isn't playing players at their best position and it's causing a lot of issues.

Villa could make a move but are too far back at this point.

West Ham and Arsenal are playing well, but will form hold the remainder of the season?

Tottenham and Man U are hanging around, and Man U has way too much talent to be where they are. I think they make a move up the table and finish out top 4.

Top ten end of season
Man City
Liverpool
Man U
Tottenham
West Ham
Arsenal
Chelsea
Aston Villa
Wolverton
Leicester

I agree about Chelsea. Their defense started falling apart in mid-November when the awareness sunk in that Rudiger, Azpi, and Christensen are all likely to leave. The attack has never truly clicked under Tuchel, but they were conceding less than half a goal a game, and Mendy was pitching shutouts more often than not.

As all this contract stuff became so public, and it began sinking in that they were all refusing to renew their contracts with January approaching (after we just sold off 3 promising defenders to pay for Lukaku!), it inevitably affected their commitment and concentration on defense.

I think Tuchel went to the back 3 to shore up a leaky defense under Lampard, but he lost that offense. But I think that with this group you could use a 4-2-3-1. It would shore up the defense, keep a double pivot in the back of midfield to break up the counter attack, and it would have 4 guys forward with a true number 10 to facilitate. I could see Mount or Havertz doing well in that role, with Pulisic and Werner alternating on the left wing, and CHO and Ziyech on the right. The pieces fit better that way, and they aren't set up so defensively.

As for the other Top 4 / Top 6 contenders - I really like Villa picking up Digne and Coutinho, who got a goal and an assist in his first 14 minutes off the bench against Man United. Villa is only a couple players away from competing for Europa League. They could use a good defensive midfielder, and a tall striker for set pieces, as a change of pace from Ings and Ollie.

West Ham has to strengthen in January. They can't play Antonio every single week or he'll get hurt, especially in the winter when muscle injuries are more common. They have been very impressive in holding on to their team, and buying smartly. The two central Europeans, Coufal and Soucek, have not been quite as productive in their second seasons in England. They lost their top 3 central defenders to injury. I think it's inevitable that they fade unless they buy about 3 new guys to freshen up, and that's risky to do in January.

At Tottenham, Conte is a great coach, but so combustible if he can't spend money and control player movement. I am surprised he hasn't been able to get Harry Kane going, because he is very good with focal-point strikers. Kane seems a broken man this year. I'll bet that he is sold this summer by Levy, but he's past peak now.

At Arsenal, their good form owes much to the young attacking guys being given a chance, and a few good purchases of young talent in midfield and at the back. I find it hard to see them as a better team by selling Aubamayang and / or Lacazette, but it seems like that's going to happen. I guess their director of personnel has finally put together a good scouting department at Arsenal.

Liverpool still has a small chance at catching Man City, but I think they and Chelsea have to focus on Cups now, and write off the Premier League. Both are in solid shape to hold on to their Top 4 standing. Glad that Chelsea is in the League Cup Final, and we still have the Club World Cup coming up.

Last edited:
As for Chelsea's demise - I don't see them falling to sixth, Auburn. And I don't see Tuchel being fired (this year, at least). Chelsea is on track for 3 trophies - UEFA Super Cup, where they beat the Europa League winners at the beginning of the season; they are in the Final of the League Cup, and later this month they play in the Club World Cup (which I was very disappointed to lose in 2013 to a team from Brazil).

That's not even counting Champions League, where they have a chance, if they get things back on track. I really think a formation change is going to be necessary. I don't think the pieces fit the 3-4-3. (One thing to remember, though, is that Thiago Silva won't be as effective in a back two pairing instead of a back three.)

As for Chelsea's demise - I don't see them falling to sixth, Auburn. And I don't see Tuchel being fired (this year, at least). Chelsea is on track for 3 trophies - UEFA Super Cup, where they beat the Europa League winners at the beginning of the season; they are in the Final of the League Cup, and later this month they play in the Club World Cup (which I was very disappointed to lose in 2013 to a team from Brazil).

That's not even counting Champions League, where they have a chance, if they get things back on track. I really think a formation change is going to be necessary. I don't think the pieces fit the 3-4-3. (One thing to remember, though, is that Thiago Silva won't be as effective in a back two pairing instead of a back three.)
Tough out today. Disappointing even.

Edit. Your most likely right. I looked at their remaining schedule and they have a stretch against some bottom half squads that should get them three and keep them top 4.

I see them probably doing no worse than 6-4-3 to finish the season.

The squads behind them would need to go on a tear to pass them. Though according to the link below Chelsea has toughest remaining schedule.

Last edited:
Tough out today. Disappointing even.

Edit. Your most likely right. I looked at their remaining schedule and they have a stretch against some bottom half squads that should get them three and keep them top 4.

I see them probably doing no worse than 6-4-3 to finish the season.

The squads behind them would need to go on a tear to pass them. Though according to the link below Chelsea has toughest remaining schedule.

I noticed that Tuchel did switch to the 4-2-3-1. Unfortunately he had to use Silva, who can be exposed by too much speed when there's only 1 other center back. But they also had Azpi at Right Back and they held Ziyech back a bit on defense (which he wasn't thrilled about).

As for Lukaku, he wants everything on a silver platter for him, and complains about passes all the damn time. His teammates were getting tired of it tonight. Make a damn run to the post once in a while when the winger is bringing it down the sideline, or turn and run behind when there's a high line and outrun somebody. I only saw him do that once in the whole game against Brighton, and that 6-4 guy bounced him off the ball.

I noticed that Tuchel did switch to the 4-2-3-1. Unfortunately he had to use Silva, who can be exposed by too much speed when there's only 1 other center back. But they also had Azpi at Right Back and they held Ziyech back a bit on defense (which he wasn't thrilled about).

As for Lukaku, he wants everything on a silver platter for him, and complains about passes all the damn time. His teammates were getting tired of it tonight. Make a damn run to the post once in a while when the winger is bringing it down the sideline, or turn and run behind when there's a high line and outrun somebody. I only saw him do that once in the whole game against Brighton, and that 6-4 guy bounced him off the ball.
Strong second half today from Chelsea for three

Liverpool picked up some key points today

Strong second half today from Chelsea for three

Liverpool picked up some key points today

Chelsea seems to be getting back tot it.
They have to re-sign Rudiger, or else they lose a big personality who commands much of their defense.

Lukaku seems to be figuring it out. Mount with a pretty good game; Ziyech with a beautiful shot for the goal, and a couple terrific chances afterwards,

I had a DM from a friend on the board that I would like to share my thoughts about the way Abramovich has been forced out at Chelsea, while somehow the Saudi Government is allowed to buy Newcastle, but a private investor, not a freaking government, gets punished. The UK government should run the NCAA. Their view of "justice" is about the same.

I think frankly that this is a bit anti-semitic of the UK government. Yes, Abramovich was in the right place at the right time when the Soviet Union fell, and the black market and open corruption took control of the Russian government and much of the Russian economy. Abramovich was never in Putin's cabinet, hasn't even lived in Russia for 20 years, and his ancestry is Jewish and Ukrainian, as much as it is Russian. He's a citizen of Israel. He is one of the biggest givers to causes to fight anti-semitism and racism around the world. He's not going around poisoning people who disagree with him. Seems unfair as hell to me.

Front runners for the purchase of Chelsea, per ESPN. My personal 2 favorites are the Dodgers guy's group, and the UK based one (Boughton and Coe).

Both groups have substantial financing behind them, plus experience running US base sports franchises (so they recognize that short term losses lead to long-term gains in franchise value), and they recognize that US-style marketing and promotion can lead to greater revenue opportunities.

And in today's headlines, Roman Abramowich, Russian Oligarch sanctioned by Great Britain and the UK for his "close ties" to Putin, was poisoned by Russians in his negotiating sessions to try to bring peace to Ukraine. His mother was from Ukraine. Poisoned by Putin. They should give him a little more respect.

When told by the UK that he had to sell the club, the man didn't want his 1.5 billion personal investments in Chelsea repaid by any buyers; he wants them to promise to invest in the club, and redo Chelsea's stadium, like Abramowich had planned to do before the UK denied him a passport over another Putin poisoning that took place in England in 2018.

The guy has done so much to fight anti-semitism in Europe, spending millions of his own dollars. What a shame. He's clearly not in Putin's camp if he gets poisoned for opposition to the war, and trying to negotiate peace for Ukraine. That's more than our last "President" ever did, who tried to blackmail them for their military aid that they could have used to defend themselves in this war.

I had a DM from a friend on the board that I would like to share my thoughts about the way Abramovich has been forced out at Chelsea, while somehow the Saudi Government is allowed to buy Newcastle, but a private investor, not a freaking government, gets punished. The UK government should run the NCAA. Their view of "justice" is about the same.

I think frankly that this is a bit anti-semitic of the UK government. Yes, Abramovich was in the right place at the right time when the Soviet Union fell, and the black market and open corruption took control of the Russian government and much of the Russian economy. Abramovich was never in Putin's cabinet, hasn't even lived in Russia for 20 years, and his ancestry is Jewish and Ukrainian, as much as it is Russian. He's a citizen of Israel. He is one of the biggest givers to causes to fight anti-semitism and racism around the world. He's not going around poisoning people who disagree with him. Seems unfair as hell to me.
Instead he got poisoned

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom