Primo home hoops schedule in Jan / recruiting visits | Syracusefan.com

Primo home hoops schedule in Jan / recruiting visits

PhatOrange

Living Legend
I've never seen a better home January basketball schedule. Should pay dividends in terms of football Recruiting visits.

Saturday, jan 4 - Miami
Saturday, jan 11 - North Carolina
Saturday, jan 18 - Pittsburgh
25th away
Saturday, feb 1 - Duke

I've never seen a better home January basketball schedule. Should pay dividends in terms of football Recruiting visits.

Saturday, jan 4 - Miami
25th away
Saturday, feb 1 - Duke

Not counting on it. Marrone never did and Shafer didn't make use of the G'town sellout last year. Lost opportunities if you ask me. Hate to bring up his name but Robinson seemed to understand the value of the bball program to football recruiting better than what we've seen from our coaches since.

Robinson
Not counting on it. Marrone never did and Shafer didn't make use of the G'town sellout last year. Lost opportunities if you ask me. Hate to bring up his name but Robinson seemed to understand the value of the bball program to football recruiting better than what we've seen from our coaches since.

Robinson was so inept that he was grateful to have Boeheim and the hoops team to help his pathetic a**. The Duke game would absolutely be a good one for HCSS to use

Saturday, jan 4 - Miami
25th away
Saturday, feb 1 - Duke
I assume you mean H.S. juniors?

Youve been pretty salty lately. I've seen a lot from this staff in terms of getting it. maybe thats driven by white but I faith that we have a 'college' staff who understands the value. I just can't see these guys not setting up official visits on these weekends.

The best thing Marrone did, which these guys so far continued, was the satellite camps. That was a great idea by Marrone.

I think the problem last year was the pre-planning was not in place to utilize the G'Town game as a Junior Day recruiting opportunity. The new staff came in and had to scramble to fill out last year's class and couldn't focus on turning it around fast enough after signing day to adequately put on a Junior Day event. Hopefully this year our class will be full well before signing day and they will be already on to next year's class by the time the Duke game rolls around.

So...let me get this right. Because newly hired HCSS didn't "make use of the G'town sellout last year" you surmise that he won't use the great January home hoops schedule to impress recruits?

Hmmm, so I guess attempting to hold together a recruiting class during a coaching staff transition wasn't important. Also remember that former HCSS didn't have a complete coaching staff for much of the process.

If I were a gambling man...I'd bet the house that you'll see a large number of recruits taking officials on Jan 11th for the NC game. Might see similar numbers for the Pitt game on the Jan 18th.

We need to have the biggest freaking junior day ever. Easy sell to recruits to get them up here! Duke cuse will be one hot ticket

I've heard they're working on something. Can't confirm it though.

I don't question Eric White, McDonald and Shafer's abilities though. ;)

So...let me get this right. Because newly hired HCSS didn't "make use of the G'town sellout last year" you surmise that he won't use the great January home hoops schedule to impress recruits?

Hmmm, so I guess attempting to hold together a recruiting class during a coaching staff transition wasn't important. Also remember that former HCSS didn't have a complete coaching staff for much of the process.

If I were a gambling man...I'd bet the house that you'll see a large number of recruits taking officials on Jan 11th for the NC game. Might see similar numbers for the Pitt game on the Jan 18th.

The G'town game was a full five weeks after signing day and well after the staff was put together. We talked about its value to recruiting extensively on this board. A number of us also expressed disappointment here once it became clear that there were no recruits in the house for the game. Marrone took a lot of things with him to Buffalo but I doubt that he took the recruiting board. Even if some names and territories changed, a good number of the players that they had identified before the coaching change were recruited by the new staff (e.g. Holley, Samuel, both Longs, etc.). It would have been nice to have them in-house for that event.

Hope you're right but Marrone and staff didn't make use of it and Shafer was part of his staff.

The G'town game was a full five weeks after signing day and well after the staff was put together. We talked about its value to recruiting extensively on this board. A number of us also expressed disappointment here once it became clear that there were no recruits in the house for the game. Marrone took a lot of things with him to Buffalo but I doubt that he took the recruiting board. Even if some names and territories changed, a good number of the players that they had identified before the coaching change were recruited by the new staff (e.g. Holley, Samuel, both Longs, etc.). It would have been nice to have them in-house for that event.

Hope you're right but Marrone and staff didn't make use of it and Shafer was part of his staff.
Sorry, I misunderstood the point of your post...which I could have prevented by looking-up last year's hoops schedule and the date of the G'town game ;-)

I believe you were referencing post-LOI day rather than pre-LOI day, i.e. Junior Day. Now that the staff has settled-in, I certainly hope that they'd take advantage of the great home hoops schedule and put together a plan.

HCSS is a true college coach and I think he gets it. I'd be shocked if he and his staff don't come-up with something appropriate.

I would definitely like to see more than one junior day and hopefully one takes place in january or even that duke game. it would be crazy not to leverage that.

This staff would seem to be able to be contacted by the common fan much easier than during the Doug Regime. I think Eric White or McDonald would be open ears, or eyes, if enough fans voice their opinions to them on twitter.

Not to quibble but the G'Town game was February 23, about 2 weeks after LOI day. Maybe they could have pulled something off for the Louisville game on March 2 (and maybe they did, I don't remember to be honest), but I do remember the coaching staff saying they did not have enough time to put something together that would be meaningful and get the right kids here within the time frame they had. Everybody agrees that there is value in having a Junior Day and that we have a built in advantage with the crowds we draw for basketball. This year in particular the schedule lends itself to a real great experience for not only a Junior Day but also a late push for this year's class. I'm guessing the staff realizes this and will take advantage of it.