Prince Charles: "The NBA is the worst it's ever been ... | Syracusefan.com

Prince Charles: "The NBA is the worst it's ever been ...

Cowtown

Sesquipedalia verba
It's not good basketball to watch. These kids need to stay in school as long as they can. They're not ready physically or emotionally to play in the league."

I'm paraphrasing a little bit but that's essentially what he said after the Kansas loss.

Cowtown said:
It's not good basketball to watch. These kids need to stay in school as long as they can. They're not ready physically or emotionally to play in the league." I'm paraphrasing a little bit but that's essentially what he said after the Kansas loss.

Well hes right. It isnt good basketball

It's not great basketball either. But as the dollars become more, and winning becomes more important, basketball has become more about systems and role definition. Grinding the clock, bending the rules as much as you can is not great for development.

While it has always been about winning, coaches become more and more advanced in their tactics to do so. And it's not always best for the players.

To be fair, the NBA was at its worst in the late '80s and '90s. Six franchises were added between '88 and '95 diluting the talent pool.

I think the salary cap and lottery hurt the league more than unready players entering.

Every generation says that when they are done. It might not be the best it's been,but it's definitely not the worst. Now that cuse is done for the year I will watch the NBA over most of these college games. I'm sick of watching teams struggle to find a shot and hold the ball all game.

I can't remember the quality of play in the college game being as low as it is now.

I can't remember the quality of play in the college game being as low as it is now.

My old man's theory is that when the NCAA began cracking down on recruiting violations, it spread the talent around a lot more. I'm not saying he's right, but it's an interesting thought nonetheless.

The NBA and CBB would best be served by at least a 2 year rule. One and done players aren't around long enough to develop. The biggest improvements come in the off season and these kids aren't around in the off season, they are already gone. Also, I think a big reason that these one year players seldom win a title is they can't handle the pressure in the tourney b/c they don't have any experience. They might play one or two "big" games which are usually rivalry games but it isn't like a one loss tournament for all the marbles. The Dance is a totally different animal.

My old man's theory is that when the NCAA began cracking down on recruiting violations, it spread the talent around a lot more. I'm not saying he's right, but it's an interesting thought nonetheless.

what does he think about UK? :)

interesting theory, though

what does he think about UK? :)

interesting theory, though

Pretty much the same as the rest of us, lol! Kentucky is either getting a pass because it's a "glamor" program, or else they're just better at getting away with stuff. Or both.

To be fair, the NBA was at its worst in the late '80s and '90s. Six franchises were added between '88 and '95 diluting the talent pool.

I think the salary cap and lottery hurt the league more than unready players entering.
I always go back to that point on the expansion as what set this course in action. That is 90 additional roster spots created in a short time, growing the league by over a third. Initially, it was journeymen playing a year or two longer than they would have, while at the same time they kept diving into the college pool for talent. That's how you went from DC and Larry Johnson as seniors being #1 picks in 90 and 91...to Joe Smith as a sophomore in 95 at #1, with KG out of HS at #5. By then, Webber, Rose, Kidd, Robinson, Hardaway, Howard, and a bunch others were already gone, making that possible. After that, the floodgates were open.

You do realize that the college game is not a thing of beauty as a whole now either I hope. Did you watch our game yesterday? There will never be a NBA game much worse than that.

You do realize that the college game is not a thing of beauty as a whole now either I hope. Did you watch our game yesterday? There will never be a NBA game much worse than that.

That's why soccer is the future. European soccer is excellent, and the MLS has gotten up to the point where it's like a Triple A minor league. 90 minutes, played in two 45 minutes halves with no timeouts, no commercials, continuous play. A more watchable version of sports like lacrosse or hockey, if you want to look at it that way.

IthacaMatt said:
That's why soccer is the future. European soccer is excellent, and the MLS has gotten up to the point where it's like a Triple A minor league. 90 minutes, played in two 45 minutes halves with no timeouts, no commercials, continuous play. A more watchable version of sports like lacrosse or hockey, if you want to look at it that way.

If soccer is the future i am moving to bolivia and ending it right now.

If soccer is the future i am moving to bolivia and ending it right now.

Why would you move to a South American country in an attempt to get away from soccer? Soccer is bigger in all of the South American countries than football is in the southeast.

gocraz4dasu said:
Why would you move to a South American country in an attempt to get away from soccer? Soccer is bigger in all of the South American countries than football is in the southeast.

#1 i sucked at social studies
#2 i dont like soccer

Yeah, the last couple years it's gotten to the point where I can't watch an NCAA hoops game (or football, for that matter ...) unless Syracuse is playing. I've loved college hoops for over 40 years, but it's damn near unwatchable now.

The NBA is bad because the Scouts are bad. They have created their own bad product. They value potential over skill. Lot's of people have potential to do a lot of great things. How many actually do?

College basketball is a much worse product than the NBA. Longer shot clock, stall ball, 3 pt line is way too close, officiating is a joke, etc.

The NBA seems bad because the talent differential between top players are players who just are not as good is massive.

Playoff basketball is going to be incredible this year, particularly in the west. If you want to see how shots are made, I'd suggest tuning in, because we obviously didn't see much the last month.

I swear when I first saw this thread title I spent a solid 5 seconds wondering what the hell a member of British royalty knew about basketball.

The college game requires a lot of fixing right now, but it wont happen because then it would ruin the perceived "parity". There would be less upsets and less compelling games in the early going of the tournament and it is known that the NCAA makes all of their money off the NCAA tournament. They wouldn't do anything to ruin their baby.