Programs that Hand Out Numbers | Syracusefan.com

Programs that Hand Out Numbers

OrangeTarheel

It’s time to kick names and take ass
What are the programs that still hand out numbers to top recruits? Like we used to make 44 a number for big recruits. Who does that still? What is their number?

What are the programs that still hand out numbers to top recruits? Like we used to make 44 a number for big recruits. Who does that still? What is their number?

$EC schools hand out numbers -
that have a $ sign in front of them, printed on green and white paper.

Is 57 still a thing at USC? Believe you have to “earn” that one. I know V Tech rotates 26, Beemer’s old number.

LSU is trying to do it with 18.

QBs at SU used to be #5.
I don't believe that was ever an official thing. It just worked out that Graves had it followed by McNabb 2 years later. McPherson never wore it, and I don't think any starter since McNabb has.

When did Michigan stop doing the number thing with their best WR or do they still do it? Wasn't it #2 they gave to whoever that was?

I don't believe that was ever an official thing. It just worked out that Graves had it followed by McNabb 2 years later. McPherson never wore it, and I don't think any starter since McNabb has.
we had quite the QB string of #5s - Bill Hurley, Marvin Graves, Donovan McNabb, RJ Anderson, Joe Fields , Austin Wilson, etc.

we had quite the QB string of #5s - Bill Hurley, Marvin Graves, Donovan McNabb, RJ Anderson, Joe Fields , Austin Wilson, etc.
Ok, I forgot some. Hurley was before my time and just forgot about RJ. Given the OP, I don't tnink Fields and Wison really count.

The question was whether tradition was tied to the number like it was with 44 or other numbers at other schools. Coach P specifically said 5 was not like that. It was just one of the options for QBs like a bunch of other lower numbers. Plenty of non-QBs have worn it Marcus Sales, Luke Arcienega, Chris Elmore. I'm not sure about earlier rosters. I couldn't find them with player numbers.

$EC schools hand out numbers -
that have a $ sign in front of them, printed on green and white paper.
Not to go off topic, but fwiw I hear it is not as dirty/widespread as you think in sec football

Last edited:

How quickly we forget Robin Anderson!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom