Props to DCuse for getting some discussions | Syracusefan.com

Props to DCuse for getting some discussions

GoSU96

Living Legend
and candor out on the radio the last couple of days.

If this news is true about Marrone staying it's for multiple reasons, just like his being receptive to leaving was.

First would be that after preliminary discussions it was apparent that he was a long shot at best at getting a job. I'm sure his agents and his network assessed the potential jobs and after bouncing that feedback against the candidate pool determined it probably wasn't going to happen this year.

His agents have orchestrated a PR campaign to get his name out there and even if nothing happens it has raised his profile a bit. There's a new reality in place.

Final thought, loyalty is a two way street. Does Marrone need to get a thicker skin and accept the reality that this is just another job and not the going back to the old school dream he had, yep, but the powers that be need to get their house in order to, and that goes beyond pay, facilites, and investment in the program.

What goes beyond pay, facilities and investment in the program?

...loyalty is a two way street. Does Marrone need to get a thicker skin and accept the reality that this is just another job and not the going back to the old school dream he had, yep, but the powers that be need to get their house in order to, and that goes beyond pay, facilites, and investment in the program.
I think I get what you are saying here, but this (SU head coaching role) was a role Doug wanted 5 years ago, and most likely his best path into a head coaching role at the time. Good fit, both ways. Still a good fit -- and he would know the pros & cons when he started (had to rebuild a fallen program) and now (ACC is a better league, program is in better shape, but still needs better fan support and resources).
As to the "powers that be", why do people believe the chancellor and BOT don't respect the football program and its importance to alums? It is a matter of degree and resources. Incremental investments are being made, more will come as the ACC has its impacts with $$ and some higher profile opponents, and it would sure help if more fans showed up, more fans joined the Orange Club, more fans paid up for premium seats.

If this news is true about Marrone staying it's for multiple reasons, just like his being receptive to leaving was.

First would be that after preliminary discussions it was apparent that he was a long shot at best at getting a job. I'm sure his agents and his network assessed the potential jobs and after bouncing that feedback against the candidate pool determined it probably wasn't going to happen this year.

His agents have orchestrated a PR campaign to get his name out there and even if nothing happens it has raised his profile a bit. There's a new reality in place.

Final thought, loyalty is a two way street. Does Marrone need to get a thicker skin and accept the reality that this is just another job and not the going back to the old school dream he had, yep, but the powers that be need to get their house in order to, and that goes beyond pay, facilites, and investment in the program.

Pretty smart thought process.

IF it plays out that he stays, it is a great windfall immediately for SU, big hit on Marrone's immediate future NFL HC desires. He can't do the PR campaign next year; he would need to be highly coveted by a team...and run the risk of really damaging his personal brand at the University and in the State he loves.

Or, of course, he rips off a 10-2 magical year and then some NFL team "has" to hire him.

No matter, the fact that the program is dealing with this situation is awesome. It has not had this much positive off-the-field juice since 97/98. Testament to Doug and Gross.

Nice job DCuse. Don't listen to local radio much, but well done. You are the alpha and omega of ESM HS grads!

"OrangePA's Paul Pasqualoni Center"

If Paul comes up with the cash, that's fine with me.

Same with Coach DeLeone.

BTW- I am in AZ- went to Fiesta Bowl last night.

As I sat there I thought about our two Fiesta Bowl appearances and our Insight appearance.

Yeah, those were good days.

Take care.

What goes beyond pay, facilities and investment in the program?

I think he means "Put away the pinot noir whenever the SyracuseFan.com board goes into meltdown."

Props to you for being one of the few I read on this board anymore that brings some positive thoughts.

Well said, good post Go.

If Paul comes up with the cash, that's fine with me.

Same with Coach DeLeone.

As I sat there I thought about our two Fiesta Bowl appearances and our Insight appearance.

Yeah, those were good days.

Take care.

Az? Did you see Marrone around?

I think I get what you are saying here, but this (SU head coaching role) was a role Doug wanted 5 years ago, and most likely his best path into a head coaching role at the time. Good fit, both ways. Still a good fit -- and he would know the pros & cons when he started (had to rebuild a fallen program) and now (ACC is a better league, program is in better shape, but still needs better fan support and resources).
As to the "powers that be", why do people believe the chancellor and BOT don't respect the football program and its importance to alums? It is a matter of degree and resources. Incremental investments are being made, more will come as the ACC has its impacts with $$ and some higher profile opponents, and it would sure help if more fans showed up, more fans joined the Orange Club, more fans paid up for premium seats.

Well I'll add 1 more thing on the list of things he wants is more contractual oversight of football operations meaning control over scheduling of OCC games and of marketing $ of football program.

\

I am impressed. You've been raving about Bill Snyder this year...and then you pony up to scout him some 2,000 miles away.

You, sir, are a damn good, hard core fan!

I am impressed. You've been raving about Bill Snyder this year...and then you pony up to scout him some 2,000 miles away.

You, sir, are a damn good, hard core fan!

I admit.

Bill Snyder was one of the reasons I went.

I admire him and have now seen him play in four bowl games.

His QB could not throw.