Pros | Syracusefan.com

Pros

AlaskaSU

Build a dorm, burn the locker rm. upgrade the dome
Seattle just beat the 49ers. 49ers have the best defensive line in football. Seattle ran a ton of successful misdirection plays. Why isn't that in our playbook given that our offensive line is usually overmatched?

Seattle just beat the 49ers. 49ers have the best defensive line in football. Seattle ran a ton of successful misdirection plays. Why isn't that in our playbook given that our offensive line is usually overmatched?
Drives me nuts why we do nothing to counter oline. We rarely run jet or motion although we have a few times last game with Jordan. I don’t see us running counters or rolling out qb opposite line and throwing to guys dragging back across field. I wish I had the answer u were looking for but I don’t.

Thing about misdirection and motion, is you still have to block. General rule is that you make their assignments easier not more difficult. Counters can be more challenging to block as whole then running straight ahead.

Drives me nuts why we do nothing to counter oline. We rarely run jet or motion although we have a few times last game with Jordan. I don’t see us running counters or rolling out qb opposite line and throwing to guys dragging back across field. I wish I had the answer u were looking for but I don’t.

Didn’t Jordan run one jet sweep then never again?

Didn’t Jordan run one jet sweep then never again?
I thought first one did well second didn’t do well but maybe that was Riley. Not positive. But run it again but use it as a counter and go other side of jet. Way to forward thinking I guess.

Thing about misdirection and motion, is you still have to block. General rule is that you make their assignments easier not more difficult. Counters can be more challenging to block as whole then running straight ahead.
Bingo. The longer things take to develop, the more unsuccessful they will be behind our current OL...

I just made this point last week. It's like we are running the most basic offensive blocking scheme imaginable - and we suck at it. I don't recall any trap blocks, any misdirection / counters, pulling guards, etc. Even our draw play is a simple delayed hand-off to a guy who is just standing there next to the QB from the very start of the play. No motion in the backfield at all to try to disguise it.

Bingo. The longer things take to develop, the more unsuccessful they will be behind our current OL...

On the other hand, if our linemen are taught this from the beginning of spring ball, the defenses can't just surge upfield against us, because they will be blindsided by the trap block, or their pursuit will run past the counter.

Another big issue with running those types of plays is the opposing DL has been penetrating so quickly ( :confused: ), those plays turn into disasters and turnovers when the DL is shooting right through the line.

As far as rollouts, I'm not sure TD is the best QB at this point to use a rollout. He's only able to run to his right at this point. Although I think it's one of those things that could be used once in awhile to alleviate pressure up the middle.

Another big issue with running those types of plays is the opposing DL has been penetrating so quickly ( :confused: ), those plays turn into disasters and turnovers when the DL is shooting right through the line.

As far as rollouts, I'm not sure TD is the best QB at this point to use a rollout. He's only able to run to his right at this point. Although I think it's one of those things that could be used once in awhile to alleviate pressure up the middle.

As with draws and screens, the whole point of misdirection and trap blocking is to take advantage of overly aggressive defensive linemen. If they penetrate the line behind a pulling guard, but then get blindsided by the tackle or guard from the other side of the line, it can slow down an aggressive rush.

As with draws and screens, the whole point of misdirection and trap blocking is to take advantage of overly aggressive defensive linemen. If they penetrate the line behind a pulling guard, but then get blindsided by the tackle or guard from the other side of the line, it can slow down an aggressive rush.

Assuming you don't have multiple points of penetration which seems to happen frequently. The OL wasn't always picking up guys directly in front of them, I'm not positive the T or G responsible for sliding across and picking up a DL can be relied on to do that.

Assuming you don't have multiple points of penetration which seems to happen frequently. The OL wasn't always picking up guys directly in front of them, I'm not positive the T or G responsible for sliding across and picking up a DL can be relied on to do that.

Well, maybe if we didn't have the running back calling out the blocking, they would be better able to engage with the body across from them. I mean, football is really a simple game at heart.

Taken from George Deleone's halftime speech on Nov 21, 1992.

Taken from George Deleone's halftime speech on Nov 21, 1992.

Hey, you know what? Nothing in football is new. It's all been done before.

Hey, you know what? Nothing in football is new. It's all been done before.
I wasn't suggesting otherwise. It always reduces to raw talent, coaching acumen, and player development.

When I opened this thread, I was expecting a discussion about ladies of the night...instead just more talk about why we can't do what everybody else can do(you know make adjustments, scheme to help players, etc). I'm now depressed.

I get your point and agree. But Seattle has the best play maker at QB in the NFL. Opens up a lot of misdirection plays. And their OL wasn't overmatched.

They would have been physically over-matched but they outwitted the 49's. That is why Seattle ran all those mis-directions. Seattle knew that San Francisco's defense is big and quick. They are very aggressive. Seattle game planned that they would be succors for misdirection. Not only were the plays successful in and of themselves, but they caused the 49er defense to become less aggressive. What we have been doing is not working. With two weeks off, will we have new plays?

I thought the same thing...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom