PS: Gross says school self-reported possible NCAA infractions on drug policy | Syracusefan.com

PS: Gross says school self-reported possible NCAA infractions on drug policy

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
http://blog.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/2012/03/syracuse_athletic_director_dar_1.html

When asked about the timing of SU’s report to the NCAA, Gross said, “Years ago.” The Yahoo! Sports report stated that 10 players since 2001 had tested positive for banned recreational substances.

Gross refused to comment on the Yahoo! Sports story or the university’s report to the NCAA.

“We cannot comment on any type of NCAA matter,” Gross said.

does he mean we reported years ago or the positive tests happened years ago??

Since we self reported I guess that means yahoo wasn't out to get us, nor the NCAA or BF, LF, davis, Allred Louisville, the big east and all the other people mentioned in other conspiracy threads.

Sent from my DROIDX

Since we self reported I guess that means yahoo wasn't out to get us, nor the NCAA or BF, LF, davis, Allred Louisville, the big east and all the other people mentioned in other conspiracy threads.

Generally agreed...but the fact that the initial article (since updated) didn't note that this was already self-reported by Syracuse and is being investigated by the NCAA is weak sauce. I'm thinking the Yahoos asked JB for comment, JB decided to play by the rules this time and not say anything...and then the Yahoos choose not to follow up with anyone else at Syracuse for public comment. Because then they might have found out additional information that made the story a whole lot less juicy - and what's the fun in being a journalist if you're not going to make the subjects of your story appear to be as amoral as you possibly can?

I'd say it's bad journalism, but in reality it's par for the course for a journalist in 2012. It's like the media is on a mission to lower their credibility down to par with used car salesmen and Congress.

Sent from my DROIDX

but isnt it more fun that way?

My feeling is Dr Gross knew all about it and stated it was already reported and being investigated means he's not terribly worried.

Sent from my DROIDX
The self-reporting article is the best news I have seen all day. My guess is that Yahoo just hopes to make some cash by running this story, as evidenced by their timing.

Someone tipped off Yahoo about the investigation. Could have been anyone. Even someone within the NCAA.

Someone tipped off Yahoo about the investigation. Could have been anyone. Even someone within the NCAA.
Interesting thought Jake.

Someone who doesn't like Boeheim and SU basketball. Someone who knew they would have a sympathetic hearing from Pat Forde. Not a conspiracy theory. Probably fact. Or maybe not. But Forde has never retracted his call for Boeheim's firing. He's on a campaign.

I'll tell you who it was. it was that damn sasquatch
images

Yep.

Collateral damage from the Fine story. Robinson said as much in the accompanying video on the yahoo article...gave himself and Forde a new pet project.

The fact that we reported to the NCAA and the person who would have instituted the policy and been responsible for following the proceedures is Jake and he is no longer the AD. So the good DR. can rightfully say when i came in we realized we had a reporting problem and took care of it. Hopefully the possible violations were on jake's watch.

Unfortunately, in big time college sports--as in politics--perception is reality. Doesn't matter if this latest row was simply people trying to give a kid another chance--not a good strategy with certain issues--Syracuse runs the risk of being painted with a big brush. It's not the details, a case of guilt or innocence, nor even the logic that most people--some even who should know better--remember. Perception, many times born of lies or gossip--and sometimes reality--stains one's reputation, like it or not.

And that something or some behavior is widespread isn't much of a defense when those in power have the knives out.