PT Battle | Syracusefan.com

PT Battle

General20

Basketball Maven
SU's next three games are against Wagner, Princeton, and Colgate. None of the three are likely to be nail biters, but unlike most blowouts these games should tell us a lot about Syracuse going forward.

Probably the best thing about this year's schedule is the ability to gauge the freshman's (and other players) progress. We saw in the first game that our freshmen were not ready to play big minutes against a top twenty-five team. Most aren't. I suspect that will change as the year goes on due to the quality of our freshmen and the availability of playing time.

In the next three games Syracuse's freshmen are going to get a lot of playing time, and more importantly, a lot of practice time. As for how much improvement occurs, I believe we will get a very clear indication when Syracuse plays Arkansas. Those freshmen who play more against Arkansas than they did against San Diego are likely to have improved. Anybody who remains on the end of the bench is likely struggling to adjust to the college game.

This schedule should give as clear an indication of player progress as you can get without actually being at the practices. So I figure this is a good time to make a few guesses as to how things will turn out.

The way I see it, there are going to be two major battle for minutes.

The first is Coleman vs. Kieta. I cant imagine Christmas not getting his fair share of playing time. He simply provides a presence and level of athleticism that Syracuse isn't going to get anywhere else. Because Christmas is going to demand a lot of minutes, only one of Coleman and Kieta will get significant playing time. Not both. There just isn't room in the rotation for both. My guess here is that Kieta gets most of the significant playing time early with Coleman catching up to him and eventually surpassing him as the season goes on. Coleman is better suited to Big East play than Kieta is, and in the end will be just too talented to sit. Kieta will be valuable when the other two are battling freshman and sophomore inconsistency, but by March I dont think we see him in the second half of close games.

The second is Cooney vs. Grant. Southerland seems to be able to play shooting guard, but I dont see that as ideal in any respect. First of all we are going to need Southerland to log a lot of minutes at the forward position. Second, even though Southerland is long, he not quick enough laterally to play at the top of the zone. Length is important but not everything, if it was Sean Williams would have started over Onuaku. Still, I can see Syracuse making it work, if the trade off is good enough. To me, that trade off will have to be Grant shaping up as a far better player than Cooney. If Cooney is not ready to contribute but Grant can give twenty or so good minutes a game that may necessitate giving Southerland Cooney's guard minutes and giving Grant the forward minutes that were slated to go to Southerland. My guess here is that Cooney wins the playing time battle and Grant is relegated to the deep bench.

When its all said and done and Syracuse is battling in a close game in March, my guess is the rotation will be Carter-Williams and Triche logging the vast majority of minutes at the guard positions with Cooney spelling them. Southerland and Fair logging the majority of minutes at the forward positions with Christmas spelling them. Then Christmas playing a good chunk of time at Center along with Coleman. Kieta and Grant, although athletic, talented and able to help in certain situations will be mostly watching from the bench.

Of course at this stage its very hard to be sure of anything. Which is why the next three games should be so much fun.

Yep, I realize that, which is why my guess was and is, that he will beat out Grant for playing time.

Beating out Grant for PT is a given just based on position numbers.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Next few games will be interesting, but against smaller teams, I think JB will tend to run smaller/faster rotations. That means a lot of time for JS/CJF at the forwards spots, andRak in the middle. He's already showing signs of being the elite shot-blocker we thought he could be. And there's even a little low-post offense for good measure.

As far as the Coleman/Keita analysis, you're spot on. Right now, Keita is more productive (still with granite hands). But as the season progresses, Coleman will start to take over the 5 minutes against conference-level frontlines. He'll get his feat set to draw charges, pass out of the doubleteams, work the high low, hit Rak or JS on the pick and roll, and his soft touch around the rim will start paying dividends. He already knows all these things ... just not enough practice or court time.

The only players I'm not sure about are grant and cooney. Grant's been coming in at the 4 because of his rebounding. He's also raw offensively ... this will probably take at least into february or march before it improves. By then, he may not be getting much PT b/c JS and CJF will be rotating to the 4.

Cooney ... I think it's too early to predict. JS is pretty darn good at the top of the zone. No he's not super quick on D, but neither is TC. And JS is a capable outside threat who can also rebound and block perimeter shots. We won't see that from TC. However, after TC gets his sea legs, you may be right on him. I love the stroke. He's athletic and just coming up to game speed after a year on the bench and an hour on the operating table. Good things to come.

And recruiting's not going badly either. ;)

Can guess these a lot of different ways -- sometimes (Fair vs Southerland two years ago) it goes back and forth, and early predictions turn out to be wrong. Fair improved and outplayed Southerland in January when each had some extended auditions.

I suspect Keita holds his own and splits time with Coleman.

I also suspect that Southerland gets more time at the 2 than people in this thread are projecting. He is ahead of Cooney right now, and that big line-up may work if the PGs can handle pressure. Has anyone seen enough of Cooney to project this yet?

And Grant has a chance if he continues to rebound & get some finishes as he showed in the exhibitions (even though he looked lost vs SDSU). People have been underestimating him. Again, not much evidence to make this call.

The first is Coleman vs. Kieta. I cant imagine Christmas not getting his fair share of playing time. He simply provides a presence and level of athleticism that Syracuse isn't going to get anywhere else. Because Christmas is going to demand a lot of minutes, only one of Coleman and Kieta will get significant playing time. Not both.

the three combined provide an outstanding three man rotation at the 4-5 spots; I don't see any reason why it can't end up a roughly 30-25-20 split, with the other 5 going to CJ/Dirty when JB goes small (more in some games, less in others, for an average of 5 per game)

the three combined provide an outstanding three man rotation at the 4-5 spots; I don't see any reason why it can't end up a roughly 30-25-20 split, with the other 5 going to CJ/Dirty when JB goes small (more in some games, less in others, for an average of 5 per game)

I guess I see Boeheim going with Fair and Southerland together a lot more than you do. I think both Fair and Southerland are 30 mpg guys (at the forward spots). Leaving somewhere around twenty minutes at forward for Christmas. The center spot I see being split between Christmas, who I see getting 10 minutes, and the "winner" of Coleman and Keita, who I see getting close to 30 minutes.