Pull the plug on Marrone now or wait until 2012? | Syracusefan.com

Pull the plug on Marrone now or wait until 2012?

orangenirvana

Hall of Fame
It seems to me that if you know he is in over his head, there's no reason to keep him for a fourth season. We learned that lesson with Gump.

Plenty of young bright coaches out there who would be willing to take over an ACC football program. Just have to find the right guy. No more SU alums, please.

Hard to say...his 4th season is a heck of a lot tougher now than I would have every had guessed after that impressive WVa. W. I think he's officially on the hot seat...

I'm ready for change. Not because were losing, but because of the way were losing. We look like a team that doesn't practice once during the week. Gross wont make the move this year in fear that it will only make him look worse having hired a 2nd consecutive dud for a coach.

He gets next seasn but changes better take place because Dr. Gross won't keep him around with another last place finish in the Big Least.

After paying Marrone 2.6 million for his 2 year buyout, you better hope this "bright young coach" can hire assistants on a shoestring.

Me, I tell Doug he is done. I mean we took some serious woodshed beatings last year too. He has been nothing short of horrendous this year. Doug will never get fired, but he should be, imo.

He has looked essentially incompetent almost all year other than wvu.

Maybe somebody else would hire him or he resigns, we can only hope

He won't get fired because the University doesn't have the $ or seem to take football very serious & as an alum it buys him extra time. But imo with 3-years now complete, we've seen what we've got with him as head coach. Terrible recruiting, terrible offense with no identity, terrible special teams play, bad play calling/in game decisions, some odd assistant coaching hires/changes, all sorts of issues with his roster over discipline, bad finishes to every season. The few positives seem to be: Su alum, organized, the team knows which fork to use for dinners. Bottom line I think every season would be 4 to 7 wins & some crap bowl occasionally. Just bring back coach P if that's what we want!

Now but it will never happen. He will be given multiple chances to succeed.

So depressing to have no hope throughout an entire offseason and going into a new season. It sucks so bad.

I still feel its the players lack of talent. Our best defensive player, Chandler Jones, gets chased down by an offensive lineman in like what, 10-15 yards? It's lack of natural talent.

Not to say Marrone has been perfect, but this season is on the players. They didn't get it done when they needed it. How many drops in the endzone against South Florida?

You could tell this team could not compete with the talent on USF or Louisville.

This is where Marrone is under pressure to deliver:

Getting more talent. If he has to scour the Juco fields to find some diamonds in the rough, then so be it...

He needs to level the playing field against the better teams.

Syracuse might be in the ACC next season, so we have to start thinking bigger, NOW!

I still feel its the players lack of talent. Our best defensive player, Chandler Jones, gets chased down by an offensive lineman in like what, 10-15 yards? It's lack of natural talent.

Yes agree about talent level, but head coach is responsible for recruiting better talent and he hasnt. Name one impact recruit he's brought in? Seriously, the best player he's brought in is Greg Paulus.

You don't need a whole lot of talent to win Big East football games! And who's the HC been bringing in the "talent" we have for the last 3-years?? No doubt we need a major infusion of talent everywhere, but regardless of those issues we still should have won more BE games over these past couple of years. Hell we've struggled to beat non-bcs and subdivision teams under Marrone.

I wouldnt fire him. But it is put up or shut up next year. The scariest thing about this season is that after 12 games, the team still has no identity, and because of the way the players were utilized, its hard to even identify who can step in next year (or who wont cut it).

No sane person is thinking about firing Marrone right now. Did the team regress this year? Yes. But if we're going to fire a coach every three years, we're going to be Rutgers circa 1990.

No sane person is totally sold on Marrone - but no sane person is totally convinced he won't be a success, either.

I do worry that the constant chatter that he needs to go will effect recruiting - and will effect the recruiting for his successor should that happen - and will be a contributing factor to the Rutgers-ization of Syracsue football.

I think Hackett needs to be fired before anyones. I think we should stay the course with Marrone and let things play out but we 100% need a bew OC our play calling is laughable. Also I think Nassib needs adderol so he can stop spazin out in the pocket, settle down Beavis.

You don't need a whole lot of talent to win Big East football games!

You know this because you've coached the Big East? I'm sure.

The scariest thing about this season is that after 12 games, the team still has no identity.

The scariest part for me is that even after 12 games, we're making the same stupid mistakes. 6 turnovers? 100+ yards in penalties?

Who do you think would take this job? Does anyone really believe Marrone was the first choice 3 years ago? Anyway everyone wanted guys like Lane Kiffin, Skip Holtz, or Turner Gill, do they still look like great choices. Marrone might not be the greatest coach but at least he wants the job.

Marrone has met or exceeded expectations in two of his first three years. While this year was a frustrating mess for the large majority, I look forward - or perhaps the better word is hope - Marrone will course correct successfully to make 2012 a helluva lot better.

No way do I move this guy out. No damn way. Hackett? Probably? His Special Teams buddy? Anywhere but specials. And Rob Moore? Dunno, but one of the other glaring areas as well.

Be frustrated, but at the very least, get this through your head: Marrone is patrolling the sideline in 2012. Let's hope he'll be and his team will be better prepped than 2011.

I've been a huge fan of Coach Marrone from the very beginning. I still somewhat support him because I embrace his lessons on character and for me, I don't care if we're not LSU because teaching a young man about adversity and overcoming difficulties throughout their life is something that is immensely more important than a game of football.

However, even I doubt that Coach will bring our program to that of an 'average' team. I believe that he has good football knowledge but I'm not sure if he could work the recruiting to execute his playbook.

Can't believe anyone would think the SU will be making big changes with what's going on with the basketball program. Like it or not, that may impact the football program as well. If things break badly there, I could easily see a dramatic drop in commitment and funding to the athletic department. Pretty sure they aren't going to increase expenses (by, say, firing coaches with years left on their contract) when there is so much turmoil overall.

I could easily see Syracuse going 4-8 each of the next two seasons and Marrone still being here for year six.

I guess these threads qualify as discussion, but they are silly. Marrone will be the coach in 2012, and Marrone will be the coach in 2013.

If one wants to discuss firing coaches there are many candidates on the staff who may be fair game. Starting with the ST coach. Wait, what?...

I have never been all in on Marrone, yet I think we should extended him during Spring practice. Supposedly we are in the running for a decent recruiting class next year. That will not and cannot happen unless we make a commitment to Marrone. If we have a crappy class next year we will be leaving the cupboard bare for the next guy.

So I would give Marrone a two year extension. However I would have a very very favorable buyout. SU is a position of power so I think it can happen. Since we are going to the ACC, the program can survive two more seasons of Marrone even if they are both 4-8 seasons. Marrone is absolutely going to be HC next year. I don't see the harm in letting him coach a 5th year. Infact I see more harm in not giving him a 5th year. But that is it.

That being said unless he makes some major changes, I cannot see him being a success.

It seems to me that if you know he is in over his head, there's no reason to keep him for a fourth season. We learned that lesson with Gump.

Plenty of young bright coaches out there who would be willing to take over an ACC football program. Just have to find the right guy. No more SU alums, please.
This isn't some fantasy football league or Madden game. There are a lot of considerations involved, not the least of which is financial. Besides, the man deserves a 4th year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom