Pushing the Panic Button... | Syracusefan.com

Pushing the Panic Button...

bpo57

Living Legend
It's a time honored tradition for SU fans to freak out at the first sign of a losing streak during the BE season. I'll keep up with that tradition by saying that I don't like this team's direction. I can see SU ending up with 7-8 losses prior to the NCAAs and getting a 4/5 seed.

Too many flaws that need correction. Very minimal offensive production out of the pivot; loose interior defense; giving up way too many second chance opportunities; hardly any offensive production off the bench; not much of a threat from'3'. If and when JS returns he could certainly help with the latter two but the other stuff would still remain. I hope I am spectacularly wrong here but this team has too many weaknesses and as the schedule has become more challenging, these weak points have become harder to hide.

We're over thinking this. We have now given two of our BE brothers quality wins that they can use later to secure a tournament berth. The more BE teams that we can beat in the tournament, the clearer our path.

Not panicking here. In fact, I took this loss a lot better than the Nova debacle. I predicted a 5 loss BE season and I'll stand by that. However, I don't see us winning many more games with the current lineup regardless of the competition. We are simply unable to put the ball in the basket. We play pretty good D, but can't do much else. We really need James.

We're over thinking this. We have now given two of our BE brothers quality wins that they can use later to secure a tournament berth. The more BE teams that we can beat in the tournament, the clearer our path.
Right. Cuz the last time we had to beat a Big East team in the tournament, that turned out beautifully.

Right. Cuz the last time we had to beat a Big East team in the tournament, that turned out beautifully.
debbie-downer.jpg

It's a time honored tradition for SU fans to freak out at the first sign of a losing streak during the BE season. I'll keep up with that tradition by saying that I don't like this team's direction. I can see SU ending up with 7-8 losses prior to the NCAAs and getting a 4/5 seed.

Too many flaws that need correction. Very minimal offensive production out of the pivot; loose interior defense; giving up way too many second chance opportunities; hardly any offensive production off the bench; not much of a threat from'3'. If and when JS returns he could certainly help with the latter two but the other stuff would still remain. I hope I am spectacularly wrong here but this team has too many weaknesses and as the schedule has become more challenging, these weak points have become harder to hide.

Totally agree.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

MCW has so far exceeded my worst fears about him. His inability to shoot, consistently make plays, properly distribute the ball, defend at a quality level, or demonstrate mature leadership has been disappointing to say the least.

Perhaps Noel saw all this coming and knew he did not want MCW impeding his path to the pros.

However, it is still early enough in the season for things to turn around. I remain optimistic, esp if we get JS back.

I wrote this 3 weeks ago as SU prepared to go on the most difficult 5 game stretch of its schedule (@Louisville, Cincy on a Sat/Mon turnaround, @Nova, @Pitt, ND on a Sat/Mon turnaround):

hoping for a sweep, of course, but I'm prepared for 2-3 and don't think anyone should jump off the ledge if that happens.

I keep saying it: this is not the usual JB team, in that it has a good chance to keep getting better as the season goes along. JB's teams are usually finished products right from the start, but the most talented players on this team are all underclassmen who are getting their first real playing time.

I don't see any reason to change that assessment. You need a hot fire to make strong steel, and this is really the first time in the hot fires as key players in serious BE play for Roc, MCW and Grant. They will be better in 4 weeks than they are right now. For young players in particular, you are never as bad as your worst game.

Best part about losing yesterday is we play Monday. If we play well tomorrow everyone forgets about the Pitt game.

Bottom line is that MCW has hit a wall to some degree. He definitely has maturity and game management challenges. He has an inconsistent shot is and is terrible finisher through contact. I strongly believe that MCW should come back to school next year to work on these significant issues with his game. There is no doubt in my mind that the current MCW will completely fail in the NBA. However, he has also shown himself to be a tough competitor with elite potential and remember he has been playing without a key offensive weapon for some time now.

I think we will get JS back, I think MCW will get his second wind and redouble his mental toughness. The team will not wind up with 7 losses. The season will be a successful one and will set us up well for what should be two more excellent seasons in the following two campaigns.

until the dipsh#ts on the committee make SU play a Big East team in the 2nd round again